PDA

View Full Version : alignment on dropped c280

kyo216
11-20-2006, 06:52 PM
i was getting my tires rotated and afterwards was telling my mechanic that i was going to go get a alignment done. he said that it doesnt really matter if i get them done or not since my ride is dropped pretty low. should i get a alignment even tho my car is dropped.

First Benz
11-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Yes yes yes yes and yes.

That is, if you haven't had it aligned since you lowered it.

Camber's gonna go neg, that's a given, and only so much can be done to correct that, but that not a huge tire wearing angle.

Caster won't really change, so that's not a big deal, not to mention it doesn't wear tires at all.

What matters is toe. When you lower your car, you end up with a lot of toe in. Which is great for stability, but it'll tear up your tires.

No, a lot of the stuff you can't change much on our cars, but the toe is a must if you want your tires to live any amount of time at all.

So, in case you didn't get my suggestion from the top, get it done.

Eric

kyo216
11-20-2006, 07:33 PM
haha i got your message from the begining. 5 yes's makes it very clear haha. hmmm i was planning to get them at just tire cause i got a coupon there. they machine alignment it to factory settings. is that a good thing? btw thx for your advice first benz.

First Benz
11-20-2006, 07:49 PM
You've got to go in there knowing that they can only correct it so far. Due to the ingenious people that designed this car, there are only three settings on each side for camber and caster. Control arm pulled in, in the middle, and pushed out. All accomplished by these little "adjustment bolts"

So if caster/camber are even side to side, then no biggie, and no bolts needed. But again, toe is the important one here. And yes, if they are a reputable shop, they should have factory specs.

Alignments are one area that a dealer really does know best, again, due to the goofy adjustment "bolts" that have to be used. If something isn't even side to side, a dealer know's exactly what to do. And most of the time, alignments are pretty straightforward, so they shouldn't try to hose you with anything.

I wish I could explain more on those bolts, but it's really hard to tell without seeing them in person. Just know that they aren't ecentrics anymore.

That answer anything, or just make you more confused?

Pagz
11-20-2006, 08:01 PM
got camber arms for the rear?

First Benz
11-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 23K
got camber arms for the rear?

That's the other thing I didn't even mention. Probably because I have them, and never put them in. Due to the fact, that after I put the AMG's on, I had no room to adjust the camber out. So I never put the arms on.

But if you have room, by all means, get the arms and put them on. What ^^^^^ he said.

kyo216
11-20-2006, 08:12 PM
i doubt i have cambers. ill have to ask my cousin later. i think my cousin said he only changed the springs and shocks to drop it. they are a reputatble shop. i think just tires is owned by good year tires. i get what youre saying but the only thing im confused are the 3 different settings for the camber. is there a best setting among these three? what are the differences in handling, tire wear, etc. haha thanks for taking the time to explain everything to me. im a car noob =(.

blind26
11-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Depending on how agressive a drop it is and how cambered out you are, camber arms would be highly recomended to dial in a more acceptable rear alignment to save tires...

I think speedybenz has/does manufacture these..

First Benz
11-20-2006, 08:34 PM
speedybenz is where I got mine. :)

kyo, you won't really notice a difference in handling, and there is no "best setting" the whole purpose is to get left and right even and within spec.

Just wish I could show you a bolt, and how they work, would make so much more sense then. But I've been scouring the web and finding not even a pic on what I'm talking about. :( Bummer.

But in short, go, get it aligned so the toe is right, if you have rear camber correction arms, put them in, if you don't, get them and see previous step. :) Just make sure that if you put them in, the tech knows they are there.

kyo216
11-20-2006, 08:39 PM
haha thanks for all the information guys. yea i have been thinking about buying rear camber arms since i saw them on 23k's car. ill have to pm speedybenz then once i have enough money. im a poor college student...gg enough said haha.

LeftCoastBias
11-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by kyo216
i was getting my tires rotated and afterwards was telling my mechanic that i was going to go get a alignment done. he said that it doesnt really matter if i get them done or not since my ride is dropped pretty low. should i get a alignment even tho my car is dropped.

yes, and then you should find a new mechanic.

tpliquid
11-22-2006, 08:30 AM
5 years w/o alignment after lowering. NO PROBLEMS.

new tires every 1.5 years

front tires dismount + mount every 8k miles

kyo216
11-22-2006, 09:21 AM
my friend was also telling me that since my car is really lowered. my range of turning is greatly decreased so alignment wont make that much a difference. i wanted to get one tho cause i noticed some drifiting towards my leftside. alignment will probably fix this issue right?

tpliquid
11-22-2006, 09:26 AM
it would fix it , or make it worse depending on the tech.

usually you handling will profit from the increased toe + camber

kyo216
11-22-2006, 09:50 AM
hmmm will thankfully my family knows a mechanic so i can get it fixed for free if the ppl that do the alignment messes it up.

LeftCoastBias
11-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by tpliquid

usually you handling will profit from the increased toe + camber

on the track, yes.

on the street in a piggie like the w202.... not so much.

tpliquid
11-22-2006, 12:25 PM
listen here buddy.

end.

Proven Guilty
11-22-2006, 12:29 PM
some arms push out to correct negative camper, while others pull them in, so the top wheel clearnace may not be a problem.

check out the k-mac (sp) arms as I believe the pull them back in to correct the alignment where jeff's pushed out

tpliquid
11-22-2006, 12:37 PM
me and jeff is like tight.
who was the first to install his springs??

TPLIQUID

speedybenz
11-28-2006, 11:20 AM
TP is correct he put on the first set of springs I ever owned. That sure feels like a long time ago.

My Camber arms do push out the wheel ever so slightly and will let you get back to Factory Spec's on alignment. Remember that the rear suspension has an adjustment for the Toe Setting, as a std. feature.

Jeff

Enceterjoten
12-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Deleted.