PDA

View Full Version : 230k T

ChristianDK
11-22-2006, 07:07 AM
Hi all.

I just bought a very nice balck ´98 230K Sport with only 90.000 km on the clock.

However it has a high-pitched whine, like the belts are worn or so. Mercedes changed the belts, but the whine remains :(

Said it could be the water-pump.

The whine is not very loud, but is there at idle and when driving.

Any ideas anyone? Waterpump, kompressor?

Is the 230K as reliable as other 4 cyl MB´s?

Greetings from Copenhagen.

ncd
11-22-2006, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by ChristianDK
Hi all.

I just bought a very nice balck �98 230K Sport with only 90.000 km on the clock.

However it has a high-pitched whine, like the belts are worn or so. Mercedes changed the belts, but the whine remains :(

Said it could be the water-pump.

The whine is not very loud, but is there at idle and when driving.

Any ideas anyone? Waterpump, kompressor?

Is the 230K as reliable as other 4 cyl MB�s?

Greetings from Copenhagen.
that is the "Kompressor" itself ... I would of thought so.. anyway
hehe welcome to the club

ncd
11-22-2006, 07:25 AM
every one here gripes a little about kompressor/S.C whine but it grows on you like one of those dogey songs from the 80's.

as for reliabilty, speaking from my own limited experince of owning the car.. (some months now) it seems to be solid as a rock.. mine was starting to get a little cranky when i got it @ 120K now nearing 125K! .. I had it B serviced, and some work (only expensive thanks to lower ball joints need to be replaced) and not one singal problem since.. and a constant pleasure to drive.. with out costing you £10 every time you put the hammer down as well ;)

ChristianDK
11-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Ha, ha, ha!

Thanks a lot guys. But i did not think that the kompressor was supposed to be working at idle speed!?

Old cars and women - we need them, but they are not without flaws :)

ncd
11-22-2006, 07:34 AM
I think from what Ive read of other peoples experinces, its safe to say the kompressor should be serviced every 100K.
and when you do it do the clutch at the same time.. preventative maintance or you mangle the whole charger.. read about Slammed_C's "SuperCharger Toasted Thread".
You'll no when its neigh the rattle/GRRR will apear. ha

I cant wait to see how she blows with a nice bath of new oil.

Pagz
11-22-2006, 09:56 AM
If the car is at idle and the car is not moving....the SC should be disengaged.

If the SC is visibly disengaged,which you can see from the plastic face of the pully being stationary...then the noise could be coming from elsewhere.

Check bearings @
-SC pully
-tensioner Pully
-A/C pully
-Alternator
-water pump

Do you have a manual gearbox??

Fizzle
11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
I Have A 98 C280 With The Same Problem. At Idle And When Driving There Is A Whining Noise. But If You Shift The car Into Nuetral The Sound Ceases. So I Don't Think It Is The "SC" Since 280's Don't Have them. My Belts Were Changed As well But That Did Not Fix Said Problem. My Whole Point Is To Rule Out This Supercharger Being The Issue And To Somehow Narrow In On The Problem.

ChristianDK
11-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Yes 23K I have a manual geabox!

Pagz
11-22-2006, 10:59 PM
I see:)

Is the noise a whine....or more of a squeek?

ChristianDK
11-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Goodmorning all.

Yesterday I tried to rev the motor (car standing still) up to 5000 rpm. Between appx. 3500 and 4000 rpm the motor makes a loud popping noise comming from the exhaust. It also shakes quite a bit in the car when you rev past this point.

You dont notice it when driving!

Do I have a problem or is it the kompressor that kicks in (again)?

Thanks a lot guys.

ChristianDK
11-22-2006, 11:03 PM
It is definetly a whine. Like worn belts, only not that loud.

The sound is most noticable when standing next to drivers side front wheel.

ChristianDK
11-23-2006, 02:20 AM
Just tried to rev the car when standing still. It is like there is a rev limiter at appx 4500 rpm. It sputters and shakes, like its not getting enough fuel.

When you drive and the car, and in gear, it beautifully spinns to 6500 rpm without hesitation or any sputter!?

Does the car have some sort of "clever" rev limiter?

ncd
11-23-2006, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by ChristianDK
Just tried to rev the car when standing still. It is like there is a rev limiter at appx 4500 rpm. It sputters and shakes, like its not getting enough fuel.

When you drive and the car, and in gear, it beautifully spinns to 6500 rpm without hesitation or any sputter!?

Does the car have some sort of "clever" rev limiter?

Defo sounds like the mas but when i had the problems it never cut out on me.. maybe mine just had enough to maintain a idle..

ChristianDK
11-23-2006, 03:16 AM
Hmmm. Actually think that there is a "secondary" rev limiter.

Read that "park has a rev limiter" in this thread! Must be the same as neutral - manual gearbox!

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6707&highlight=rpm

ChristianDK
11-23-2006, 03:56 AM
Just spoke to Mercedes.

It IS a rev. limiter (ca. at 4500 rpm), so that you can not overrev the car in neutral. Smart!

Still have the whineing problem though :(

Pagz
11-23-2006, 12:44 PM
hmmm
-so you have check all aux pully bearings?
-have checked the SC isnt engaged perminatly?
-does the noise change when you push the clutch in?

Back in the day when my car was a mercedes 0o,i had a squeeky noise coming from the engine...i took it into MB and they were like hmmm needs new belt and tensioner...that'll be 550 thanks...
so quickly left them behind and went to and old fella that used to be head MB tech...he took one look at the belts told me it was all fine and spayed alittle teflon on to stop the belts squeeks...but after doin this we noticed the belts wernt the issue...it was coming from the gearbox,well....the clutch to be exact...
the clutch folk pivot ball had no greese...so it squeeked...now i look back on it i should have clicked straight away as the noise stopped when you pushed the clutch...
Point is why didnt MB pick this up...lol.

ChristianDK
11-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Will do a check up during the weekend.

To be continued.

Have a nice weekend.