PDA

View Full Version : Descreening the MAS

Espresso
11-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Anyone done it? I have & just like the MANY vehicles I have done it on, it did make a very noticable difference. Part throttle tip-in is GREATLY improved, idle is smoother & it isnt running as rich as it was. I still have yet to go full throttle in the car & can easily reach 120kph now, in an est( stopwatch time) of 7.2 seconds with A/C on. This is WITHOUT going full throttle, because of traction issues.

This car isnt bad for the only 3 mods I have done to it(plus all the "factory" goodies). PLUS the stereo equipment I have in it. Proper intake & exhaust seem to wake this car up pretty good(especially with 85K miles on the clock). It isnt a screamer by my standards but some around here seem to think it is pretty fast, compared to when I first got it. Also this is on the standard 95 octane we have here.

All I know is whatever performance gains it may have recieved, if any. The gas mileage is getting SO much better, this is fact. I used to get a whooping 250kilo's to tank now i'm up to 340 with much more spirited driving, that when I first got it.

ncd
11-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Espresso
Anyone done it? I have & just like the MANY vehicles I have done it on, it did

hmm jeez .. think its worth checking out on our c23's?

rollinrealbig
11-26-2006, 11:21 AM
yea that grid screen thing ?? I had it on my C230 pulled it off also, I think I noticed a better response too. pulled it off the new MAF when I got one.

ncd
11-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
yea that grid screen thing ?? I had it on my C230 pulled it off also, I think I noticed a better response too. pulled it off the new MAF when I got one.

which the metal part?
how do you remove it.. do you have to bust the plastic?..

rollinrealbig
11-26-2006, 12:07 PM
I dont exactly know what metal part your talking about, but if you look inside the MAF tube you will see the plastic mesh grid, you bust that out, I carefully pryed mine out thinking if I ever need to use it agian but never did.

Espresso
11-26-2006, 12:22 PM
I used my handy dany pick tools. The plastic grid ring on the 280's(well mine atleast) is held inplace by 4 very thin lips around the edge of the MAS. I stuck a pick next to one side of a clip & a pick on the other this unlocked one. While those picks were in I did the same to the clip next to it. Once the 2 were unclipped it just about popped right out.
The black screen is thick & holds the metal screen in place(when you remove the black screen the metal one will fall out)so do not try to pry behind the black piece. Because if yo udamage it & DO have to end up putting it back in then you are screwed & have to get another MAS.
I did doa little damage to the black plastic one. But it was like one or two squares along the edge. Wouldnt make a difference either way if I had to put it back in.

Mind you, if your car is running lean you MAY NOT want to do this as it will cause it to run leaner( not lean just leaner). My ECU was not programmed at the factory, so it did run way rich, doing this has had a considerable effect on it, & has leaned it way out. I do not have exact figures on A/F ratio right now.

Edit: about to throw up a few pics of the MAF screens. Give me a minute.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Black05PT/DSCF3827.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Black05PT/DSCF3835.jpg

omeyhomey
11-26-2006, 12:34 PM
newer benz MAFs do NOT react well to taking out the screen. Infact they have two screens for a reason. I did it on my E55. and though as full throttle it may have performed slightly better, at part throttle the car was a dog b/c the MASwasn't getting smooth readings. just leave it in there and make power the real way.

ncd
11-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
I dont exactly know what metal part your talking about, but if you look inside the MAF tube you will see the plastic mesh grid, you bust that out, I carefully pryed mine out thinking if I ever need to use it agian but never did.
tnx it looked like it was all one peice
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/4364/dscn1890cd8.th.jpg (http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn1890cd8.jpg)
that metal thing ;)

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/1594/dscn1891bo0.th.jpg (http://img486.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn1891bo0.jpg)

rollinrealbig
11-26-2006, 12:38 PM
I dont know if my car is running lean or not. but runs better without it and hell I dont even care. :rolleyes:

ncd
11-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
newer benz MAFs do NOT react well to taking out the screen. Infact they have two screens for a reason. I did it on my E55. and though as full throttle it may have performed slightly better, at part throttle the car was a dog b/c the MASwasn't getting smooth readings. just leave it in there and make power the real way.

ha ok .. well im gona go round the block and just try it out.. probably put it back in..

Espresso
11-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by omeyhomey

Like I said. For some cars it works for some it doesnt. Same goes for the Mazda's, Chevy's, Toyota's, ect... If it works great, if not put them back in. It isnt a hard job.
I have only had very few cars to where I had to reinstall the screens.

Espresso
11-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by ncd
ha ok .. well im gona go round the block and just try it out.. probably put it back in..

It doesnt work exactly that way. The ECU will need to learn the new fuel trims. Spark plugs will also burn differently, ect.. so it wll take some time( ALOT more than 5-10 minutes, but you may get lucky).

ncd
11-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Espresso
It doesnt work exactly that way. The ECU will need to learn the new fuel trims. Spark plugs will also burn differently, ect.. so it wll take some time( ALOT more than 5-10 minutes, but you may get lucky).

hm it seemed marginally smoother .. on a little run..
but Ill try it till tommrow night...

more refined feeling of power like when i first got it... when i got it back from MB it felt more tight and snapy and they replaced the mas.

arg just realised it iwas in W mode, always feels smoother in W mode .
going round again now in S mode har..

ncd
11-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by ncd
hm it seemed marginally smoother .. on a little run..
but Ill try it till tommrow night...

more refined feeling of power like when i first got it... when i got it back from MB it felt more tight and snapy and they replaced the mas.

arg just realised it iwas in W mode, always feels smoother in W mode .
going round again now in S mode har..
Im sure this has improved consumtion, power increase ever so slightly I would have to concur, and its quieter but then Ive been making a point of using only 100octane since she got a bit grumpy ... unless that is some mega placebo effect going on.. it sort of does something but I cant pin point exactly what is different.

Mercedes DIY
11-27-2006, 10:20 PM
when I replaced my maf.. this mod crossed my mind.. but I didnt want to question the design of it.. im sure the screen is there for a good reason. and I didnt want to f*** up a part that cost me 3 bills..

ncd
11-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Mercedes DIY
when I replaced my maf.. this mod crossed my mind.. but I didnt want to question the design of it.. im sure the screen is there for a good reason. and I didnt want to f*** up a part that cost me 3 bills..

hmm I'm thinking put the black bit back in.. . and leave the metal part out .. the metal bit looks the most restrictive..

maybe take some of its fins out of the black part to make it less restrictive.

I'm thinking a peace of that metal mesh would be good folded around the square plastic where the sensor its self extrudes from..

ncd
11-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Mercedes DIY

hmm I'm thinking put the black bit back in.. . and leave the metal part out .. the metal bit looks the most restrictive..

maybe take some of its fins out of the black part to make it less restrictive.

I'm thinking a peace of that metal mesh would be good folded around the square plastic where the sensor its self extrudes from.. so particals wont be hitting it.. thats obviously what the screens are for..

car maniac
11-28-2006, 03:09 AM
i have C36 & would it work to descreening MAF on my car !!!

1995c280
11-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by car maniac
i have C36 & would it work to descreening MAF on my car !!!

yeah but the procedure is a little different on the 104 engine MAF. take the MAF sensor out of the car and place it on the ground or in a vise or something with the grid side facing down. then stick a long flathead screwdriver from the other side and press against the grid. then hit the screwdriver lightly with a hammer. it only takes one small tap on each side of the grid and it will pop out with no damage done so you could re-install it at a later time if need be!

Jason

car maniac
11-29-2006, 02:18 AM
1995c280,
thanks for the replied. i'll try your advice.

joshm38
04-25-2007, 08:35 PM
so we juss take out the black piece and leave the metal?

Benz Newbie
04-27-2007, 02:08 PM
i looked at that part in my c280 but there is no mesh, just that plastic cover on top. are pre-updated w202s without the mesh? can anyone verify this

jnenad16
04-27-2007, 04:54 PM
there should be a plastic grille at the front of the MAS. if its missing, then someone had removed it already.

nenad

Benz Newbie
04-27-2007, 05:03 PM
yeh i saw the plastic grille on the top, but there's no mesh on the back like in the picks u guys posted? were early 90s w202s built without that mesh behind the plastic?

jnenad16
04-27-2007, 09:24 PM
the MAS with a round connector(early models) doesnt have anything in the back of it.

nenad

joshm38
04-28-2007, 12:36 AM
what part do i atke out black silver or both?

Benz Newbie
05-01-2007, 04:44 AM
do pre-updated w202s even have that wire mesh in the maf? i checked mine and all i see is the outer black cover with holes in it. there is no silver wire mesh behind it. was it built that way? or maybe a previous owner removed it?

jnolte
05-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Benz Newbie
do pre-updated w202s even have that wire mesh in the maf? i checked mine and all i see is the outer black cover with holes in it. there is no silver wire mesh behind it. was it built that way? or maybe a previous owner removed it?

if i remember correctly my C36 dident have the metel mesh either, but the c43 does for sure