PDA

View Full Version : tranny fluid help

redc36
11-27-2006, 12:19 AM
Hi guys
what are the latest recommendations on the tranny fluids for a 95 4 speed C36 auto tranny. i am mostly concerned with protection.

i was thinking between
Redline or BM trickshift or Royal Purple

but there are so many times HD, synthetic, shockproof and the list goes on.
what do you guys recommend and how many quarts do i need

thanks

jnenad16
11-27-2006, 01:21 AM
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5613&highlight=lubricants+for
as for the quantity, depends if you are draining the whole trans or jus the pan.
if you drain just the pan, then about 3-4 quarts will do, but if you are draining the torque converter as well, then 7-8 quarts will be needed. also, this would be a great time for a new trans filter and pan gasket.

nenad

jnenad16
11-27-2006, 01:27 AM
I highly recommend redline, but if you opt out for B&M, go with the synthetic one, the original one is type F, which is not suitable for your transmission.

nenad

redc36
11-27-2006, 11:54 AM
lets say i go with redline since it seems to be a better established brand which redline should i choose just for tranny?
i am in NYC so a lot of city driving + cold weather

redline types:
Synthetic ATF
Syntheric D4 ATF
Racing ATF
C+ ATF
High-Temp ATF

or
B&M Synthetic trick shift?

Polestar
11-27-2006, 12:16 PM
My mechanic uses BG Products Universal Synthetic ATF, approved for Mercedes-Benz.
He claims it has a good reputation among local MB techs and dealerships.
BG Products are that same folks that make
BG 44K, fuel system cleaner.

jnenad16
11-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by redc36
lets say i go with redline since it seems to be a better established brand which redline should i choose just for tranny?
i am in NYC so a lot of city driving + cold weather

redline types:
Synthetic ATF
Syntheric D4 ATF
Racing ATF
C+ ATF
High-Temp ATF

or
B&M Synthetic trick shift?
redline synthetic is dexron 2e, so thats the one you would use, but synthetic D4 wouldnt hurt you either since its dexron 3.
as for the B&M, the synthetic one is dexron 3 and its well suited as well.

nenad

redc36
11-29-2006, 09:26 PM
so is 4 speed tranny better with Dexron 2e or dexron 3

jnenad16
11-29-2006, 11:19 PM
dexron 3 has higher specs for thermal stability, sheer, and lubrication, so I would go with that. however, it being a synthetic fluid, it might be a bit slippery for the automatic clutch in your transmission.
I would suggest you contact redline for proper fluid.
www.redlineoil.com

nenad