PDA

View Full Version : Raked look w/even fender gaps vs. Level look w/bigger gap in front?

irieite
11-28-2006, 05:53 PM
When I first installed the Eibach Prokit springs on my '00 c280 sport a few months back, the front fenders had a pronounced gap (between the top of the tire and the fender lip) compared to the back, but the car sat fairly level.

I was on #3 spring pads all way around, then decided to go to #4's in the rear. This helped only slightly at the time (I think the difference is like +4mm).

Anyway, now the front end has settled and the car has a slightly raked look, (slightly jacked up look in the rear) however, the fender gaps are even.

My question is, has there ever been any debate over this subject before? That is, whether to go with the raked/even fender gap look or the level, (perhaps) slightly tucked in the rear/gap in the front look?

The vehicle is mainly used for a single person commute to and from work and I rarely carry heavy loads (e.g. fat chicks ;) ) and I don't plan on ever installing a heavy sub box in the trunk.

irieite
11-28-2006, 06:54 PM
I was just walking past my car and when it's parked even on even just a very slight incline, from the front it looks as if it is sitting perfect.

However, if I'm parked on a level surface and approach the car from the side or rear side, that is when it appears raked.

Maybe I should just throw them in and see what it looks like, since I've already got them and it's not too difficult. Especially with the short springs.. (and holiday vacation time coming up in a few weeks :)).

Either way, I'll try and get some pics posted, perhaps even before and after, if I decide to go ahead and put the #3 pads back in the rear. Right now all I have are of the car right after the install, when the front was not yet settled..

After reading several posts, it seems like allot of people here tend to go with a one number pad difference from the front to rear.. However, many of them also have sub enclosures sitting in the trunk as well..

Proven Guilty
11-28-2006, 07:23 PM
i prefer the raked and even gap look as long as the car has a low aggressive stance. perfect drop for me is when the top of the tire is flush with the guard line (not tucking, but no visible gap) and to have that uniform look on the rear tires as well as the front.

most drops i've seen has the rear tires tucked with a gap up front. i think it looks like they used the wrong springs, or have a few bodies in the trunk. thats just me though ;)

irieite
11-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your input PG. I'm leaning towards keeping like it is, but if it continues to sag more in the front than the rear, I might make the adjustment later on down the road, provided that it keeps the gaps close.. I do prefer the level ride height look however.. :crossid:

iwhocorrupts
11-28-2006, 08:59 PM
I think I have #1 pads all around on eibach pro-kit.. my back has like an inch of fender and my front sits flush with the tire.. personally I like this look ;)

irieite
11-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by iwhocorrupts
I think I have #1 pads all around on eibach pro-kit.. my back has like an inch of fender and my front sits flush with the tire.. personally I like this look ;)

Yeah, that's the other extreme of course.. :cool:

I have a feeling that the front is only going to continue to sag as the weight of the engine constantly sits over them and rolling over those "speed humps" really sets the front.

In other words, I think I'll be putting the #3 pads back in at some point and still have pretty even gaps..