PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass body kits

FromanL278
11-29-2006, 10:00 PM
I am just wondering about the durability of fiberglass compared to duraflex or any other materials for bodykits. Please if you have any ideas go ahead and put them down

OCKlasse
11-29-2006, 11:15 PM
just buy ryhi's kit already :)...don't worry, it'll look awesome...and we should meet up sometime, I live in Irvine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/C230/July%2006/car2new.jpg

FromanL278
11-30-2006, 03:46 AM
arent you on MBworld to? man your rims are sick once again man

Proven Guilty
11-30-2006, 08:46 AM
it greatly depends on the quality of the fiberglass. the comparison of durability of the OEM body kit vs. a fiberglass kit isn't even comparable.

the flex in fiberglass isint very good at all, where for example:

1) you pull too far forward, and curb on a parking block you may crack the bottom of the front bumper
2) fender benders are not forgiving

on the bright side, it's not very difficult to repair

OCKlasse
11-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by FromanL278
arent you on MBworld to? man your rims are sick once again man

Thanks :)...if I set up another local meet, I'll let you know...I am thinking about maybe doing one in February

FromanL278
11-30-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks ...if I set up another local meet, I'll let you know...I am thinking about maybe doing one in February

February would be tight, I havent gone to any meets yet because my car isnt worthy enough but by february it should atleast belong with some of the tightest 202's in the Oc

TO: Proven guilty

ya thats what i heard about fiberglass my friend and I are checking out mods for our cars he has a e46 bimmer and he told me that fiberglass would break in a matter of months

Proven Guilty
11-30-2006, 09:14 AM
if you abuse it yes.

if you live in a region that has tons of pot holes, steep driveways, and ultra low suspension that constantly gives you ground clearance issues, then i wouldn't recommend it.

other guys have fiberglass kits, and really baby them and don't drive too aggressive on nice flat roads with zero issues. it's all on how much ground clearance you have, and how cautious you drive with fiberglass.

FromanL278
11-30-2006, 09:19 AM
haha well these roads in california taking the 57 or the 5 everyday can be demanding but overall these roads are pretty flat you know your from Costa Mesa

1sickC
11-30-2006, 05:35 PM
I've had some fiberglass kits and they alway crack and end up looking like junk. If you can get plastic, that would be the way to go. Repairs will eventually cost you more in the long run with the F/G.

FromanL278
11-30-2006, 05:41 PM
How often do they end up cracking and how much did it cost you to repair?

Lensolo
11-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by FromanL278
How often do they end up cracking and how much did it cost you to repair?

There are a lot of factors that will determine when and how your fiberglass bumper is going to handle bumps. Fiberglass, if made right can last a long time and can be made to withstand the stresses of everyday driving. Corvette bodies from the 80s and 90s were all made of fiberglass and even 1st gen CR-X's entire front ends were also made of composites. If they're made right, they won't "just crack". Bottom line.... You get what you pay for.

I haven't had any experience with the Duraflex 202 bumpers that are out there, but I know that "Duraflex" is just a % of flexible polyester resin mixed in with general purpose resin. (I'll probably get shot for telling you that... and it doesn't cost more to make. The flex resin is the same price as general purpose.) Flex resins and flex resin hybrids, by my experience are good. We used it on racecar fenders that take hits on almost every race.

FromanL278
11-30-2006, 07:27 PM
I remembered that the corvettes have the fiberglass. Thanks alot guys your info helped alot.

solodough
11-30-2006, 09:03 PM
wald body kits are made of fiber reinforced plastic

Lensolo
12-01-2006, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by solodough
wald body kits are made of fiber reinforced plastic

fiber reinforced plastic (FRP) is another term used in most countries besides the US to describe fiberglass.

Proven Guilty
12-01-2006, 06:34 AM
WALD kits are the best aftermarket kits i've ever worked with in terms of fitment and quality of product