PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know cam angle given crank angle.....lol

Pagz
12-03-2006, 01:55 PM
From what i can gather i dont think the guys marked the cams correctly when they removed them....WHO ARE THESE PPLE.

does anyone know what angle they should be set at in relation to crank angle....this is holting everything.

paul

K_Sport Driver
12-03-2006, 03:15 PM
it's another sign mate...

Pagz
12-03-2006, 03:38 PM
lol :sigh:

NISMOPOWERED
12-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Welcome to my life! My car has been down two weeks now because there are no marks to put the cams at TDC. I have to find another C36 and copy it. You might need to do the same. Even the dealership cant do it.:(

Pagz
12-03-2006, 06:12 PM
damn that rips man!...so even MB cant help you??
well,lucky for me this afternoon iv managed to find a local Mercedes mechanic who would take the time to copy his mercedes info and fax it to my builders...OMG "luck"

the engine could be ready tomorrow...

Proven Guilty
12-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by 23K
the engine could be ready tomorrow...

c280nz
12-03-2006, 06:57 PM
ready 2moro
:eek:
Sweet as!!!!!!!!!
your lucky you found a good helpful local merc mechanic!
i have one of those in palmy and i keep him well fed up on beer and he has got pritty good at printing me off instructions :)

Pagz
12-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty

ahhahahahahahah knew that would get a bite....:D

Pagz
12-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by c280nz
ready 2moro
:eek:
Sweet as!!!!!!!!!
your lucky you found a good helpful local merc mechanic!
i have one of those in palmy and i keep him well fed up on beer and he has got pritty good at printing me off instructions :)

Haaha yer i better look after this guy!...i was starting to run out of numbers to dial!...
still need to get full ecu wiring diagrams for mine the haynes manual isnt detailed enough!...so i may have to call in and pay time with MB 0o

xvvvz
12-04-2006, 06:28 PM
>>still need to get full ecu wiring diagrams for mine the haynes manual isnt detailed enough!<<

What exact areas of the diagram do you need? If you can be specific and tell me in simpleton terms, I will see if I can send anything better along.

Pagz
12-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by xvvvz
>>still need to get full ecu wiring diagrams for mine the haynes manual isnt detailed enough!<<

What exact areas of the diagram do you need? If you can be specific and tell me in simpleton terms, I will see if I can send anything better along.

Hey sounds good man,however....i need almost every wiring diagram produced for the 202 manual 230K.....as i need to see the relationship between all systems like ASR,A/C,ECU, and Cluster etc!

speedybenz
12-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Paul,

Make sure to time the cams once you get them into the engine. Set up a degree wheel on the crankshaft to Top Dead Center(TDC) at zero degrees. Then set-up a dial indicator to moniter the lift on the valves. First on the intake cam. Measure the motion of the tappet. Turn, by hand the engine over until the tappet is pushed down 0.050" and write down the number shown on the degree wheel. If the cam is opening the number should be around 15 to 0 degrees (BTDC) before TDC then keep rotating the crank until the tappet is past BDC and is coming up, or shuting the valve. When the dial indicator gets back to showing only 0.050" open, then look at the degree wheel and write down the number, it should be something like 30 to 50 degrees (ABDC) after bottom dead center. Add the two numbers, then add 180 degrees divide by two and then subtract the first number, ie the number you wrote down when the valve is opening.

Example: 12degree(BTDC) + 40degree (ABDC) + 180 degrees = 232degree (This is your advertised cam opening, or duration). Then take 232 divide by 2 = 116degrees and subtract the opening number of 12 degrees = 104 degrees. This is the intake cam centerline and that would be a good number. It means that the intake cam is opened half way at a crank angle of 104 degrees after top dead center (ADTC). This area of cam rotation and crank rotation is near the maximum velocity area of downward piston movement.

Then you measure the exhaust cam tappet opening and closing in the same way. The number where the exhaust cam is opened half way should be around 100 to 110 degrees before top dead center(BTDC).

Always rotate the crank slowly by hand to make sure the valves are not going to run into each other. If they do it is easy to bend a valve.

Have fun, it is not too hard.

Jeff

Pagz
12-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Paul,

Make sure to time the cams once you get them into the engine. Set up a degree wheel on the crankshaft to Top Dead Center(TDC) at zero degrees. Then set-up a dial indicator to moniter the lift on the valves. First on the intake cam. Measure the motion of the tappet. Turn, by hand the engine over until the tappet is pushed down 0.050" and write down the number shown on the degree wheel. If the cam is opening the number should be around 15 to 0 degrees (BTDC) before TDC then keep rotating the crank until the tappet is past BDC and is coming up, or shuting the valve. When the dial indicator gets back to showing only 0.050" open, then look at the degree wheel and write down the number, it should be something like 30 to 50 degrees (ABDC) after bottom dead center. Add the two numbers, then add 180 degrees divide by two and then subtract the first number, ie the number you wrote down when the valve is opening.

Example: 12degree(BTDC) + 40degree (ABDC) + 180 degrees = 232degree (This is your advertised cam opening, or duration). Then take 232 divide by 2 = 116degrees and subtract the opening number of 12 degrees = 104 degrees. This is the intake cam centerline and that would be a good number. It means that the intake cam is opened half way at a crank angle of 104 degrees after top dead center (ADTC). This area of cam rotation and crank rotation is near the maximum velocity area of downward piston movement.

Then you measure the exhaust cam tappet opening and closing in the same way. The number where the exhaust cam is opened half way should be around 100 to 110 degrees before top dead center(BTDC).

Always rotate the crank slowly by hand to make sure the valves are not going to run into each other. If they do it is easy to bend a valve.

Have fun, it is not too hard.

Jeff

That must be why the Mercedes guy had to pay my engine builders a visit after work this week:D

Thanks jeff,ill cut and past that reply for future reference...
the engines back in now finally...only around 6 months later!