hvmercy
12-03-2006, 05:23 PM
What can I do to take it out?

Any ideas.

thanks,
Rob

iwhocorrupts
12-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Seems like you have an issue.. Is the car all the way in park? Try turning the key to the on position then turning it off and pull it out?

-Mark

hvmercy
12-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by iwhocorrupts
Seems like you have an issue.. Is the car all the way in park? Try turning the key to the on position then turning it off and pull it out?

-Mark

yeah, I do have an issue. Did everything, well almost.

I'm going to disconnect battery and see what happens.
Seems like the sensor is messed up.
(brake pedal sensor)

kyo216
12-03-2006, 06:24 PM
make sure your steering wheel isnt in a locked position.

Proven Guilty
12-03-2006, 06:51 PM
i had the same problem. if the key will turn and start the car again, you're in luck.

-start the car
-push brake pedal down
-shift down to the 1 gear selection and move forward 5 feet
-shift back to park
-take foot off the brake
-pause 3 seconds
-turn off car and remove key :)

hvmercy
12-04-2006, 07:01 PM
disconnecting the battery did the trick. I heard a click
after reconnecting it.

It's a 10 year old car and it's beginning to show its age.

(But this is a weird problem)

SLAMMED_C
12-04-2006, 07:44 PM
so you have the mechanical key then.. me thinks you need an ignition tumbler. better get one before you can put your key in the ignition at all... nevermind taking it out!

Proven Guilty
12-04-2006, 10:49 PM
i have the smart key, so either would do the trick.

SLAMMED_C
12-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
i have the smart key, so either would do the trick.
Oh.. you have the smart key.. I was under the impression it was the mechanical key.. since you said your car is 10 years old!!
my mistake... well if its the smart key you have an EIS then.. it can be a faulty key.. or the EIS. do you have any other keys at all or just the one smart key?

hvmercy
12-05-2006, 06:53 PM
I have a mechanical key and yes, the dealer said the tumbler
may be getting stuck. The solution they provided
was to put a "tiny" drop of oil in it and see what happens.
It may or may not work. If that doesn't solve the problem
I have to get it replaced.

And Yes, my car is "almost" 10 years old. I took delivery of
it in Feb 1997.

What is an EIS?

SLAMMED_C
12-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by hvmercy
I have a mechanical key and yes, the dealer said the tumbler
may be getting stuck. The solution they provided
was to put a "tiny" drop of oil in it and see what happens.
It may or may not work. If that doesn't solve the problem
I have to get it replaced.

And Yes, my car is "almost" 10 years old. I took delivery of
it in Feb 1997.

What is an EIS?
okay.. now your just confusing me.. a smart key.. is the electronic key you see on the newer mercedes.. (from 1998 and on in north america).
now since your car is a 1997.. you have a mechanical key that goes into the ignition tumbler.. you have the flip out key.. right? that is not a smart key.

okay.. now that we have gotten this straightened out.. you have an igniton tumbler problem.
you can try and oil it.. but it wont last for long.. its a temporary repair.. just replace the tumbler now.. while its convenient.. casue if you dont do it while you are expecting it to go.. it wont stick on ya.. and when ya dont expect it to stick.. it will and you wont be able to drive your car.

so whats with the post when ya already know what the solution is? dealer already said whats wrong!!.. they would know better then anyone here!!! dealers always right!!

hvmercy
12-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C

so whats with the post when ya already know what the solution is? dealer already said whats wrong!!.. they would know better then anyone here!!! dealers always right!!

I just took it in today for service and asked them about the
keys being stuck. After they told me how much, I almost had
a heart attack. I have to wait to get my Christmas bonus. :D

SLAMMED_C
12-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by hvmercy
I just took it in today for service and asked them about the
keys being stuck. After they told me how much, I almost had
a heart attack. I have to wait to get my Christmas bonus. :D
lol.. got ya.. yeh it isnt a cheap repair!! ignition locks cost more then ya think huh.
well just dotn leave it too long.. you may get stranded.
buts its def the tumbler by the sounds of things.. so I was right!!! before the dealer!!

hvmercy
12-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
well just dont leave it too long.. you may get stranded.
buts its def the tumbler by the sounds of things.. so I was right!!! before the dealer!!

Yeah I have to get it all fixed before I ship it to B.C.

loudandheard
12-06-2006, 07:58 AM
The exact thing happened to me. Prior to my key getting stuck in the ignition, I would have to mess around with it for about an hour to get the key out. Sometimes it would come right out with out a problem and other time it would take like I said before an hour. Well, on one particular day the key wouldn't come out. I tryed everything, I mean everything. The key would not turn to start the car or even allow me to take it out of park. So I had to leave my car in the parking lot of a liquor store over night. I had to have my car towed and the only way they could load it was dragging the car becasue I had turned my wheels slightly. I think the job was aroud $1000 or more at the dealer. They replaced the tumbler and something else. Needless to say, you may need to get it taken care of as soon as possible otherwise you may get stuck somewhere and have to leave the keys in the ignition. It was such a pain in the ass because they didn't have the parts readily available and it takes time for them to work on the car. I didn't have my car for almost two weeks.