PDA

View Full Version : Amp + sub = $500?

sanf
12-03-2006, 08:14 PM
what can $500 get me if I wanted a single sub + Amp that will shake some mirrors?

KenzBenz
12-03-2006, 11:22 PM
jl amp and jl sub would shake ur mirrors. Thats what i have, it shakes my side mirrors outside the car too

sanf
12-04-2006, 03:33 AM
what's the model #s and settings?

Espresso
12-04-2006, 08:45 AM
I know many dont like them, but I use MTX. I got my 2 12" SVC RT's amp & box for $460 including the tax.
The subs are 100W RMS & the amp is running at 75Wx2, because I have the subs run in series. Yes, that is right the amp is only pushing 8hms. Runs cool all day long.

I have seperated the seal in my windshield 3 times, but finally got it fixed properly. I can shake the mirrors, headliner, seatbelts, ect. I used deadening foam, & dynamat in the trunk, but still have to do the entire car, because it shakes too much.

Here is a quick vid clip taken with my camera. The volume is at normal listening level. Gains are set & the bass bost isnt even 1/2 way up. I run the fader mostly towards the rear speakers because the fronts really drown out the rear. I still have yet to set the radio up.
A have a bunch more short vids at different listening levels, with different music, si if you want me to post vids of anything specific I can.
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Black05PT/C280%20sport/?action=view&current=Picture147.flv

I should also add. I have the subs facing the rear now. But I have trouble with the rear lights blowing & the lens'. There is a little round piece in the lens that vibrated like a bitch, so I had to take them apart & use Auto GOOP to seal teh piece firmly to teh lens'.

sanf
12-04-2006, 09:56 AM
lol. that is mad. blowing things up L/R.

I have a box for a single 12" sub. So, I am looking for an amp and a single 12 only. I prefer a smaller amp so I can install it somewhere in the trunk even when I have to remove the sub.

Espresso
12-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, if you already have a box then :)

What is the measurement of it? Sealed, ported, Transmission Line? Thickness, type of material,ect.

I would still recommend a MTX setup. A 12" DVC like the T5512-44 & a TC3001. You can excape with these for about $300 total if you shop around...NOT on ebay ;)

OCKlasse
12-06-2006, 09:15 AM
I have a 12JLW3v2D4 and I love it!...I am also mated to a MTX TC3001 amp, and the combination is great! Is your box ported?

rman
12-06-2006, 10:07 AM
shit, my sealed box with 2 10" Kicker CVR's running off less than 500wrms barely does anything for me. I have my rear deck speakers removed as well, and it shakes shit up inside, but doesn't bounce coins or disturb a whole lot of peace outside (though that's not my point or goal, it can be used as a reference).

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/rmanisme/w202/121_2162.jpg

1SIKBNZ
12-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Damn i gotta go get some snaps of my system. Im just about finished.. well i say finished but i dont think itll ever be done lol, but the bulk is done. Just finished custom competition spec ported enclosure with 1 12 solobaric L7 (2007 model) with a kicker 900 watt monoblock amp. i wanna get a reading off it but dont have a reader but its a pure earth shaker! Got some white cathodes for when the trunk pops lights up all white but i think i wanna add some strobes or sumthin. I have a triple port on the rear deck and im in the process of construction on a custom rear deck with three pass through norcal stars which will be over the ports.. should come out pretty sick. the next step is a acuated suicide trunk lid... bwahahaha =)

Proven Guilty
12-06-2006, 10:25 AM
I don't like MTX due to their musical sound quality. From my experience with them, they're great for "club bass" and hip hop, but anything else generally sounds terrible to me.

I've been nothing but overly impressed with the two 10" MB Quart PWD-254 subs I picked up from pek's old show car, and they were born pre-rockford fosgate takeover. I've seen them on ebay as cheap as $125 a piece (former retail as high as 500-600 price range)
http://home.comcast.net/~tss.hsi/wald_c230k_jon_pek.jpg

The JL audio W3 (version2) 12" DVC sub that OCKlasse has, is one of the better musical / sound quality subwoofers I've used for the price range, and with the rear deck speakers removed would provide everything you would want for that range.

Your best bet is to ditch the box, and go with a matched setup unless you have full specs on what the box was built for. If you want it to sound good at all, a box should be built to spec for the subwoofer in use.

Also, even and inexpensive active crossover and a decent amp will go much further than a good sub on a cheap amp. If you want savage effortless power to dollar ratio, I would search ebay for a MMATS D300HC amp (now discontinued), and an older Rockford Fosgate Punch Power 10" Dual Voice Coil 8Ohm sub. Build it into a 1.5 cubed box with the port tuned at 35hz. This exact setup I ran with a $100 active crossover turned almost 138db with a single 10" sub, and sounded so clean it had to be seen to believe. Any person that ever took a ride in my old car never though twice at guessing I was running two 12"s.

Most of the subs built after '99 with the butyl rubber surround seems to just sound so much cleaner to me. But that's just my opinion ;)

rman
12-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by 1SIKBNZ
Damn i gotta go get some snaps of my system. Im just about finished.. well i say finished but i dont think itll ever be done lol, but the bulk is done. Just finished custom competition spec ported enclosure with 1 12 solobaric L7 (2007 model) with a kicker 900 watt monoblock amp. i wanna get a reading off it but dont have a reader but its a pure earth shaker! Got some white cathodes for when the trunk pops lights up all white but i think i wanna add some strobes or sumthin. I have a triple port on the rear deck and im in the process of construction on a custom rear deck with three pass through norcal stars which will be over the ports.. should come out pretty sick. the next step is a acuated suicide trunk lid... bwahahaha =)

i love the l7's. some hate them, some love them.

The first stereo i ever put in my F150 had L7s. It took me a week to build the box, and sadly i have no pics.
4 2002 model 10" Kicker L7' dual 2ohm vc (s10l7d2)
1800wrms Audiobahn amp running 1 ohm
420x4wrms Audiobahn pushing 4 sets of kicker comp RS6 components (1 pr in the doors, 1 pr in q-logic kick panels
3 farad audiobahn cap with fused dist. block.
Best thing is the amps and cap all looked the same (with the exception of the class-d being twice as big).

All that in a standard cab F150. quit my job and parted my stereo out to survive thru college. Not a bad plan.......

OCKlasse
12-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by rman
shit, my sealed box with 2 10" Kicker CVR's running off less than 500wrms barely does anything for me. I have my rear deck speakers removed as well, and it shakes shit up inside, but doesn't bounce coins or disturb a whole lot of peace outside (though that's not my point or goal, it can be used as a reference).

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/rmanisme/w202/121_2162.jpg

you don't have a ported box...that's why you are not disturbing peace :)

Espresso
12-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Clean out your mailbox please!!!!!

benzonline
12-07-2006, 07:28 PM
What kind of sound would I get out of 2 -10s vs the 1-12" I have now?

I dont want too much anymore of the club shaking bass...just richer more "middy" bass but still kind of low enough.

Espresso
12-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Start another thread with your particular setup. Then well go from there.

Originally posted by benzonline
What kind of sound would I get out of 2 -10s vs the 1-12" I have now?

I dont want too much anymore of the club shaking bass...just richer more "middy" bass but still kind of low enough.

bish0p
12-07-2006, 09:57 PM
if you want just a basic set up you can get a type r alpine. I had a choice of JL w6 or type r's. i went with the type r set up just because i didn't want JL's. They're just too crazy for me. But the alpines kick very hard and it was cheap too. i still have the JL's by the way. Right now i'm running alpine headunit with kenwood amp and 2 12inch type rs in a sealed box. The type r only cost me 100 each brand new. and the JL's were 150 each used but practically brand new, they were only used for 2 days and my friend gave them to me cheap.