PDA

View Full Version : Idele RPM goes up to 12000 w/CEL on

Python01
12-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Hello,

I've been having this weird problem with my 95 C280 for a while now.

I found out when I put on the gas a little bit hard and reach around 4000rpm, the CEL turns on. With the CEL on, it idles at 1200RPM when I put the stick to "P" position(at traffic stops), then it comes down to around 700RPM when I put it back to "D" to drive again.

Now, the CEL is on but the engine runs fine while driving. When I kill the engine and restart it, the idle goes back to normal range(700rpm), but of course the CEL stays on.

I could always turn off the CEL by disconnecting the battery and at first everything looks fine. Then what I described above repeats : )

I didn't pull out the exact code yet(lazy me...), and I wonder if anyone could possibly tell me anything from the symptoms above?

Hopefully this repair costs me not too much THIS TIME...
Thanks in advance.
JP

jnenad16
12-05-2006, 01:06 AM
its hard to say exactly since that particular year has so many electrical problems, but it sounds like your MAS.
btw, whats your secret at running the engine at 12K rpm's LOL :D

nenad

Python01
12-05-2006, 02:07 AM
Oh, well, I intended to say "1200"... lol !!!
(I said 12000??!!@#$ ...typical me)

Thanks for pointing that out.
Guess I would have to pull out the code first then come back again.

martattack
12-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Python01

I didn't pull out the exact code yet(lazy me...), and I wonder if anyone could possibly tell me anything from the symptoms above?

JP

Get that code pulled at AutoZone or the like.. It will help MUCH more. Like nenad said, sounds like a MAF, but you never know.

Martin