PDA

View Full Version : Constant noise - 230K

ChristianDK
12-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Hi all.

My 230K, which I have had for about a month has a noise from the engine compartment. The noise is a bit like a whistle/whine - a bit like a little bird trapped inside :). It goes "wheet, Wheet, Wheet, Wheet!. It does not cange with rpm/s.

First I changed the belts, which did not do the trick. Then i let some different mechanics have a listen. Some said belt tenioner/shock, others did not have a clue.

The noise is most noticeable with the hood closed and when standing on the left side of the car or in the car. When you have the hood open and listening in the engine compartement you can not hear it!!???

Does anyone know about this?

Greetings from Denmark.

therock2689
12-08-2006, 02:50 AM
Its probly the supercharger and its nothing to worrk about. The whine comes from teh fact that its spinning very fast. The reason you probly dont hear it with the hood open its that teh clutch on teh s/c doesnt engage when you are moving, for the most part.
Oh, welcome to the club.

Rock

ChristianDK
12-08-2006, 02:54 AM
Thanks a lot Rock.

But I did not think that the SC was engaged at idle!? I have the "whistle/whine" at idle too.

therock2689
12-08-2006, 02:57 AM
NO, teh S/C is not engaged at idle, that is true. Srry man, i really dont know then, i have never concounted that problem. Since you where saying with the hood open you didnt hear anything, look for marks and stuff on teh hood. And when you hear it, listen good and try to track it down. Maybe the A/C comp, i think thats on the left.

Rock

matt09
12-08-2006, 05:08 AM
There where two things causing that on my car:
1) The water Pump
2) The bearing in the tensioner pulley

ChristianDK
12-08-2006, 05:20 AM
Thanks matt.

do yu know where the water pump is located?