PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance on my new C230K

Kompressor_Dude
12-08-2006, 07:06 AM
Hi guys!

Been looking around the site and managed to sort out quite a few bits on my new C230 Kompressor Sport :)

There are a few things that i cant find using the "search" feature though so thought i'd post here and see if you can help. Anything with pictures/walkthrough guide would be awesome as i really wanna get this car looking smart.

First off, i've already changed the oil, filter and spark plugs, but if anyone can think of any other things to take a look at replacing/checking then let me know, no point modding the car if the basics arent right!!

Air Filter:
Is this easy to get at? Thought i'd better take a look and see what condition its in/replace if necessary but i havent been able to find a guide to do so yet :( also a guide idea on price would be appreciated.

Gear Knob:
Its a manual box and the leather gear knob's worn to hell. Anyone know where replacements can be picked up outside of a merc stealership as they want £80, which is crazy! If im gonna pay that i'd rather get a custom one made up, loving the suede one in the Mclaren SLR thread so might go for something like that?

Dash Bulbs:
There's no light behind the right-hand circle control (where the air blows, eg. windscreen/footwells etc.) and another one out behind the speedo...... are they easy to get to? Does anyone know the code/part number for the bulbs?

That's about all i can think of for now, but the car's done 120,000 miles and although its in wicked condition i'd love some ideas on what to look for instead of just waiting for things to go 'pop' :confused:

Anyway, essay over....... thanks for your time!!

anf6789
12-08-2006, 03:36 PM
hello, the air filter is in a box towards the headlight on the right side of the car. its about 15in x 15in it has squares on it and a tube connected to it, there is like 5 clips that holds the top part on, unclip these and the 2 connected to the tube. the air filter is in here, i have a reusable k and n performance fiter, i like it alot, mine was $39 U.S.

shandy
12-09-2006, 07:48 AM
To get to the bulb behind the heater direction control, just pull the knob off using pliers padded with cloth,the bulbis just pushed in behind the dial and is a mini capless bulb 12V/1.2W.
For the bulbs in the instrument cluster you have to pull out the cluster, this guide should help: http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howtos.html
Cheers, George

Abuimad
12-09-2006, 11:08 PM
with regards to the air filter its a 1 minute job, take the latches off, take the filter out, replace it and ur done, as for the lights behind the dash, its a 15 minute job, and the tech article listed above is very helpfull...i used it...as long as u have the right tools, ur all set to go

Kompressor_Dude
12-10-2006, 12:18 PM
That's great help, very much appreciated guys!

Did you find the K'n'N made any difference to revs/response/sound? If im gonna replace it it may as well be with the best :)

Cleaned it up this weekend and there's a picture below..... which brings me to my next question!

Not content with keying it, some little chav's ripped off the bonnet emblem :bored: are there any decent 'flat to the hood' emblems that i could pick up to replace it with? dont wanna buy a new one to have it happen again!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/DJ_Superman/Cleanmerc2.jpg

Thanks for all your help, please keep it coming!!

xvvvz
12-10-2006, 12:46 PM
You can find new stars pretty cheap at the dealers in the U.S. My guess is because it is a high volume item for them. People have quoted $25 on these forums. Flat badges can be found on Ebay with varying degrees of quality.

K&N filters can be more trouble than they are worth if the oil migrates from the filter to the MAF and fouls or ruins it. The MAF is a very pricey and tempermental doodad that doesn't like contamination and will make your car run like junk when it the MAF gets contaminated. Use the search button to find out more.

Kompressor_Dude
12-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Cheers for that :)

I'd read a bit about the MAF's. Was gonna look into cleaning it with some of the spray's recommended but by the sounds of it i'll just leave it alone! Car seems to be running fine (although with this hole in tyhe exhaust its hard to tell!) so cant see it being too bad.

I'll check the air filter tomorrow, see what the score is. K'n'N's are washable arent they..... could just wash the oils off when i got it?!

shandy
12-11-2006, 02:44 AM
To get a replacement bonnet star just go to your local MB dealer,they should be able to provide the flat badge if you want. Regarding the KN filter there is no point in buying it if you are going to wash the oil off as it relies on the oil to pick up the small particles of dust in the airstream.
George.

Kompressor_Dude
12-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys....... off to the dealership to get the star and filter tomorrow :)

what's the replacement frequency for the timing chain? got 120,000miles on it and dont want it to go ping!, Also, im guessing its an expensive job - anyone had it done?

shandy
12-12-2006, 01:52 PM
The timing chain on your car should be good for up to 200k miles, don't worry as it will become noisy at startup when it is badly worn .
If you want to do it for peace of mind it can be done by attaching the new to the old and feeding it round the sprockets,so is not as expensive a job as you would expect the Haynes manual 3511 covers the procedure.

George.

Kompressor_Dude
12-13-2006, 01:45 AM
What a great system, how come other manufacturers dont use chains? I've had to replace the timing belts on all my 2nd hand cars when i got them as they only last 60k or so and can go ping at any minute when they're badly worn. They're harder to replace too by the sounds of it!

Do you know the tyre pressures i should be running? Iv got standard Sport rims, 16" (in picture) and the weather is the usual English mild, drizzly crap! :D Someone said they were by the fuel cap but i think a past owner's gone a bit sticker-happy as mine's not there.

Also if anyone's got the stats on these cars it would be great to seem as i cant find them on the net/search option anywhere.

Just after 0-60, MPG, 0-100 etc.

Already know the top speed, it was bouncing off the limiter at 155mph round a track in Belgium :cool:

xvvvz
12-13-2006, 04:58 AM
Look for a sticker on the door or sill frame for the driver's door or on the inside of the glove box door.

0-60 time for U.S. C230 Kompressor 202 4 doors with the 5 speed automatic was quoted as 7.6 seconds by Car and Driver in March 1999. Mercedes quoted a time of 8.1 seconds for the C230 K and 8.0 for the more pricey C280. It doesn't look good from a marketing perspective for the better priced car to be quicker than the more expensive car ;)

Kompressor_Dude
12-13-2006, 07:25 AM
haha, mine's a maual so should be a tad quicker than that even :)

i'll search a bit more for the tyre pressures. Just popped out and took a few pics of my old air filter, photo's arent great quality but any advice as to whether it needs replacing?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/DJ_Superman/airfilter2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/DJ_Superman/airfilter.jpg

Tried the bonnet trick that was posted a while ago but the passenger side one's stuck :( bent the arm trying to force it too so i'll be banging my head from now on i think!

shandy
12-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Air filter looks as if it's due for renewal, the change period is every 75k mls or 4 years , that one looks as if it has never been changed.
George.

Ultymate
12-13-2006, 10:43 AM
That air filter looks fine to me unless you're into burning money

Proven Guilty
12-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by shandy
Air filter looks as if it's due for renewal, the change period is every 75k mls or 4 years , that one looks as if it has never been changed.
George.

can't say i would ever go longer than 18k miles on any air filter. dirt particles getting into the intake is like putting a paper bag over your nose and mouth filled with shards of glass while running on a tread mill. results wont be friendly ;)