PDA

View Full Version : Audio ?'s from a 1'st timer.

Benzon
12-10-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm looking into updating all my audio component's, I'm looking at Either a DEH-P7800MP, or a Alpine CDA-9857, what do you guys think of either of these or a recommendation on a mid end head unit that look good. Link to crutchfield comparison. (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lWOYO6LvkAy/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=300&c=3&s=0&cc=01&pt2=0&compareitems=130DEHP780&compareitems=500CDA9857&x=30&y=6)

And then for speakers I was looking into a bunch of different options but basically I want them to be able to handle being pretty loud( to compete with the low end) and fit the car, (no kick panels). Maybe some infinity's or if i find a good deal on some memphis. Any Idea's on this as well?

And for the low end I was looking around ebay, how do you feel about buying previously owned amps and subs from ebay? More or less I was looking at

memphis audio 150/2 amp+2/12' alpine type s subs in box for $375

Eclipse 12" Subwoofer System + Memphis Audio Amp (1000w, 600x1 at 2 ohm.) for $300

Or some planet audio 10's (350w RMS) for whatever I win the bid for currently .99 cents.

What do you guys think of those deals.

Sorry so many question's, This is my first car as I've always just ridden motorcycles, and I love music, so I want a system that sounds really good but I can also turn it up and the make the bass hit hard to be an A* to all the little rich kids around here that have their daddy's buy them all their stuff. I've just recently got into car audio and am trying to learn as much as possible, but since I've never done a set up I have nothing to compare any of the numbers I see to what it would sound like. Thanks for any input.

iwhocorrupts
12-10-2006, 12:45 PM
That alpine head unit has really nice sound quality -- I used to have it. Currently I'm running 2x10" Memphis Reference PR104D dual voice coil subs and they're pounding with the Memphis Power Reference 300 RMS amp. I don't know what kind of sound you're looking for as far as bass goes... pounding -- clean -- in between.. I know my memphis subs are real clean as are infinity subs and I've heard great things about Fujitsu-Ten Eclipse, its up to you man I'd say going with Memphis Audio

Benzon
12-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Well as far as bass I'de like to be able to adjust to my mood, something can roll well and something that could pound when needed. I haven't been up to the only dealer in my area to see about the cost of some Memphis' components. Yeah I was going to go to a local place and check out the HU and see how I like the Interface, i know the Pioneer is ugly as far as mounting, sticks out alot. Thanks for the reply.

Proven Guilty
12-10-2006, 01:40 PM
i'll go out on a limb, and suggest the polk audio replacement speakers if you plan to just upgrade the oem speakers and run them off of your aftermarket head unit.

the sound quality is pretty good, the power handling is pretty good, and the price is great. they generally utilize shallow mounting depth, so they'll also be fairly easy to install into the stock door enclosures.

from my experience with both head units in the past, the apline's dont look as cool, and tend to have a tougher interface to navigate, but generally sound better. that's what we're all chasing after anyhow, right? ;)

Benzon
12-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Oh should of mentioned I'll be running all the speakers off separate amps so the built in mosfet is of no importance. Should I go with a cheaper HU if this is what I plan on doing? If so what do you guys recommend in either a Pioneer or Alpine?

I was looking at the Polk as it's that or the $230ish Boston set up.

Money is an issue I don't want to spend 700 dollars on one sub, but I am willing to pay the extra money for a better set up.

What is the model number for the amp you run "Iwhocorrupts".

iwhocorrupts
12-10-2006, 02:22 PM
The model # of the amp I run is PR300.2 Memphis Class AB -- If you really wanna go for quality I'd look into Memphis M Series MCA/MCD.

Heres my setup:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p295/maantic/Audio/CIMG0265.jpg

For door speakers I run:

6.5" Infinity Reference up front

5.25 Infinity Reference in rear

and my head unit is a Kenwood KVT-715DVD fold out LCD unit.

Benzon
12-10-2006, 02:32 PM
You got 5.25's in the rear door?, Thats pretty much the set up I am looking into doing. Are they the 2-way references'? How clean is the overall install? Guessing you unhooked your rear deck's? Could you possibly hook me up with a parts list of that set up? So like a MCA3004 for 230 RMS to each sub.

1995c280
12-10-2006, 02:48 PM
if you want all out bass then you can't go wrong with planet audio but don't get the set on ebay. you want the "big bang" series - high end!

i have all crossfire speakers, planet audio sub, and planet audio and orion amps with a clarion deck and alumapro cap.

check my car domain for pics!

Jason

iwhocorrupts
12-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Supplies:

Infinity Reference 2-Way 6.5"

Infinity Reference 2-Way 5.25"

2x Memphis PR104D Subwoofers

1x Memphis PR300.2 Amp

1x MTX Ported Box from circuit city ($150)

Cordless drill & Self tapping metal screws.

Dremel

Phillips screwdriver

Procedure:

For the front I removed the housing for the OEM speakers made my modifications to it with a dremel zip tied the 6.5" speakers to it remounted them and covered everything back up.

For the rear I removed the housing and basically drilled the 5.25" speakers into the door frame w/ self tapping metal screws.

I forced the rear deck speakers out -- technically you should removed the rear deck cover so you can remove them without trouble but like I said, I forced them out.

Benzon
12-10-2006, 04:34 PM
I have to get back there and see what kind of set up there is back there maybe do a custom set up with some tubes coming out of the box for ports directly into the rear decks. How well can you hear the subs from inside the trunk or do you have the rear arm rest opened? Thanks for the replys everyone.

Abuimad
12-10-2006, 09:56 PM
stick with the pioneer head unit, its incredible and really easy to use, and navigate throught, the screen is also to die for..., as for audio i personaly have 1 2000 watt amp, 2 1000 want 12 inch subs pioneer ofcourse :D

Benzon
12-11-2006, 03:18 AM
You have a picture of the pioneer mounted? The only think I don't really like about it is that it sticks out like 3/4 of an inch off the dash. Maybe a weird install by the audio guys into the wall?

anf6789
12-11-2006, 09:39 AM
i have the alpine, 56 i think, the one without the diffeent screen sounds amazing with my stock bose, i went with the harmon kardon drive+play for my alpine interface, works seamlessly i love it

Benzon
12-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Yeah, all the reviews for the alpine are for like ipod stuff. I have one but that's not like really important for me. I want something that's going to look good and sound good. The pioneer seems to have an easier interface for creating custom EG settings and whatnot, I don't know Ima go look at them again and then decide, it's a Christmas present so, I wont get to hear it untill later. See how it drives the stock speakers, although I think my rear deck's are blown. Thanks again everyone for the replys.

Benzon
12-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Ok went down to my Memphis dealer ( There's only one) And this is the package I'm looking at,

Pioneer DEH-7800
Memphis PR 12" x2
Memphis PR 500.1 Amp (250RMSx2 at 1 Ohm)
Memphis 6.5 Component Speakers up front
Memphis 5.25 2-Way's In Back

Should I do that, fully installed for around $1450.

Or
Pioneer DEH-7800
Memphis PR 12" x2
Memphis MCA3004 (230RMSx2 at 4 Ohms Bridged)
Infinity Reference 6.5 components
Infinity Reference 5.25 2-ways

And buy all of it online for $1000ish and have another shop I know do a nice custom set up and install for 360ish.?

I think the second option is the nicer set up, and I didn't quite like the guys up at the Memphis shop and don't really want to give them my business, treated me like my daddy bought me my Benz and now he was buying me a set up.

1995c280
12-15-2006, 01:22 PM
system 1 is way over priced - those are the entry level subs from memphis. they are good but you want their high end stuff. my buddy just became a memphis dealer this year along with crossfire and planet audio which he's had for over 5 years!!!

system 2 - well let's just say i've never been a fan of infinity (reference or perfect). just never liked their sound quality compared to other brands. and why would you want to take a 4 channel amp...bridge it to 2 channels...then run 2 subs! just buy a mono-block and run the subs and buy a 4 channel like the MCA3004 you mentioned or even the MCA2004 to run the front and rear door speakers.

my buddy's doin a system tomorrow for a friend of mine...

1 planet audio big bang 10" sub - retail $225
1 memphis PRD1000.1 - retail $350-500 (varies by store/site)
all wiring included and mount sub in custom box in spare tire well and raise the floor (03' jetta)
install front 6.5" CDT components - customer supplied

$650 for everything - parts & labor.

Benzon
12-15-2006, 02:20 PM
What speakers do you recommend then? Since this is my first system and my friends buy their stuff at wal-mart, I'm going on advice, I have nothing to compare it too. There is only one shop that sell's memphis in my area, so I can't even really shop around without going on ebay. If you have suggestion's as to what system I should put in, just put up the list and what I should look to pay for all of it. Thanks for the replys.

1995c280
12-15-2006, 04:16 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Crossfire-x6-Component-set-Car-Speakers_W0QQitemZ320062114423QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3 2819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

without a doubt for the fronts. i have the 5.25" version (X5's). they retail for almost $400 after tax! here's a write-up on the reviews of the version i have.

http://www.danumuri.com/Articles/images/x_review.pdf

here is crossfire's website.

http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com/frameset.asp

go buy the wires from sonicelectronix. i bought my head unit from them (clarion dxz755mp) and my monoblock amp (orion 1200d). fast shipping, great prices, and good tech support/warrenty if you need it!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7941.html

Jason

1995c280
12-15-2006, 04:36 PM
front doors - crossfire X6 components (ebay but rare)

rear doors - doesn't really matter...your goin to cut out almost all the bass from rear coaxials via the 4 channel amp is you go that route.

sub amp - planet audio big bang 1250.1 monoblock
looks like this. these amps can STOMP. don't get the older version...you want this style
http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANET-AUDIO-1250-WATT-CLASS-D-MONOBLOCK-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ190063021567QQihZ009QQcategoryZ 18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
it's refurbished though, you'll want new

speaker amp - crossfire vr404 or planet audio VX2004 or VX3004

deck - all on your preference!

subs - either planet audio big bang series or crossfire BMF series

if you ebay most of this you can get the whole thing including a deck for around 1,200 if your lucky but i remind you these are competition quality products...not your cheap walmart or even best buy/circuit city crap! retail on this sh*t if well over 2,000 for everything!

Jason

Benzon
12-16-2006, 07:20 AM
What does anyone on here think of the 10" Solo-Baric L7's ? I know the other companies are good, but I'm also trying to find products that are popular and easily accessible.

Also does anyone know what kind of power I can run off the stock alternator and battery with no problems? Currently I'm looking at about 1200RMS (600x2 at 1 ohm)

Benzon
12-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Ok I'm deff getting (already Purchased)
Pioneer DEH-7800MP
Memphis MC1000D

Set on getting
MB Quart RVF 216 (Component 6.5's)
MB Quart RUA 213 (Coaxial 5.25)

And Can't decide on
2 x 10" Solo Baric L7's
2 x 10" Solo Baric L5's
3 x 10" Memphis PR's
Any suggestions? Along these lines price wise? Like to come in at around 350 total for subs.

iwhocorrupts
12-19-2006, 02:39 PM
get 2x12 PR's, 10s hit too high :\ I'm upgrading to Memphis M3's

Benzon
12-19-2006, 02:54 PM
I would get m1's or m3's but I dislike my dealer and can't find them online, any suggestions?