PDA

View Full Version : ASR light on, car limp mode, please help!

redc36
12-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi guys
i need to figure out whats wrong with my car (1995 C36). couple of days ago after driving for 30min I came to a stop and put my tranny in 'P'. afterwards i put it into 'D' and car started rolling and after i pushed accelerator car did not move faster. i notice that my ASR light came up. so i put into park and tried flooring the accelerator and noticed that RPMs go up only if i floor it all the way to the kick down switch. i guess my car went into limp mode (no check engine light or ABS, just ASR).
so i unplugged the battery and waited 5 min and started the car and everything was fine. so i happily left. yesterday same thing happened and after battery reset it worked again. today even battery reset didnot fix the problem. my tranny wont shift into 3 and so on. Rpms on the dash at idle are below 500 and car seems like it wants to turn off. it actually happened as i was trying to get into my garage.
so i went to the mechanic and he scanned the codes and it came up with 2 faults:
1. limp mode and 2nd one was i think code 22 : cannot communicate with ASR.

do you guys know whats the problem?
my mechanic is inclined to think its Throttle Body. is it expensive? can i get it used? or from another car?

thanks you all!

stox
12-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Have you checked the air pressure in your tires? A low tire can cause the ASR to stay activated.

NISMOPOWERED
12-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Sounds like the T/B. I replaced mine. I got a rebuilt one from 4mercedes for $425. with a year warrenty. To replace takes 2 hours or so, pretty simple.

redc36
12-11-2006, 05:56 PM
well i do have 1 rear tire instead of 245(8.5rim )width a 225 (7.5rim) b/c i got a flat recently and had no choice but to put on my winter tire. but the funny thing is that right now after unplugging the battery and plugging again while the car is park if i rev it the light comes up right away. do you need to drive to reset the computer ?

NISMOPOWERED
12-11-2006, 06:09 PM
no, it sounds bad. the reason it moves when floores is the limp home is mechanicle, when floored it opens the plate a bit without the T/b motor.

stox
12-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by redc36
well i do have 1 rear tire instead of 245(8.5rim )width a 225 (7.5rim) b/c i got a flat recently and had no choice but to put on my winter tire. but the funny thing is that right now after unplugging the battery and plugging again while the car is park if i rev it the light comes up right away. do you need to drive to reset the computer ?

Put on your other snow tire, and see what happens. It is about that time anyway. Also, what happens if you "disable" ASR using the console switch?

NISMOPOWERED
12-11-2006, 07:08 PM
If the T/B is bad the switch wont do anything.

stox
12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by NISMOPOWERED
If the T/B is bad the switch wont do anything.

That is why I asked.

redc36
12-11-2006, 10:03 PM
pushing ASR switch on the dashboard does not do anything. not even the light on instrument panel come up

so the part that i need is: Throttle Actuator that works with Traction Control
or throttle body or is this same thing?

will it work off 94 e320?
why do these things break? is it worth buying used?

NISMOPOWERED
12-12-2006, 08:00 AM
I would not buy used. if you open yours up I bet you will find the harness that leads to it cracked all over the place. when you take off the covers you will see the wires. You could try to replace the harness yourself by cutting the outer cover and repair or replaceing the wires. But it might be the motor or sensor thats bad but I dought it. You need the part number off yours but yes other cars take the same one. And yes they are one in the same part just many differnt names.

NISMOPOWERED
12-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Be very careful if you do the job yourself. 96 and under cars have the bad harness that will break. And no the 97 T/B will not work I already looked! You have to remove the crossover pipe and the tabs that hold it down might be broken. Than remove the fuel rail and put it out of the way, it just takes removeing the plugs and bolts do not remove the lines they have plenty of play to move it out of the way. Then remove the upper intake and disconnect the T/B and remove. I know it sounds easy, but its really not to bad just make sure you have a set of allen sockets with the ball on the end.

Denlasoul
12-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by redc36
Having two different sizes may account for you ASR light being on.

Did you even bother to have your codes checked to find out what could be happening to your car?

edit: reread the OP and saw you did have the codes read. You should find out exactly what codes are going on, so you can fix the problem correctly.

redc36
12-15-2006, 01:58 PM
the code error as i mentioned before is error 22: no connection to ASR

we checked the battery with a voltmeter as well as alternator and those checked out fine.

i guess its TA but can it be cleaned or something ? they r kinda expensive. i might just get it used. if i do do i need to let them know to include the actuator or its all in one unit.