PDA

View Full Version : 2000 C230K supercharger clutch

C230Benz
12-12-2006, 08:36 PM
anyone know how to bypass the supercharger clutch?!?!?

therock2689
12-13-2006, 02:40 AM
What do you mean, have the s/c on all the time or turn it off???

C230Benz
12-13-2006, 05:33 AM
supercharger on all the time

ncd
12-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by C230Benz
supercharger on all the time

you need to probably weld the clutch to the pully in such a way it couldnt slip.. a fair few conditions exsit before the clutch engages afaik.. and you know doing such a thing is bound to be utterly bad for bussiness..

But wait there is a coil inside that could be powered up continiously to engange it.

I still want to know what would happen from weighing down the sport switch under the accelerator :)

C230Benz
12-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Could you just replace with a non clutch driven pulley?

xvvvz
12-13-2006, 09:13 AM
I think it would drive me crazy. That would mean you would constantly have the high level of roaring sound like when the car is first warming up.

Pagz
12-13-2006, 10:07 AM
to avoid unwanted problems....It maybe a wise idea to leave the clutch system as is;)

Proven Guilty
12-13-2006, 10:52 AM
@230Benz - there is just that available where it eliminates the clutch pulley altogether

@xvvvz - since when are people who want maximum performance terribly concerned with sound? (i kid, i kid hehe)

@23K - agreed!

the M45 eaton used on our cars is one of the most complicated setups ever installed in production cars as an OEM forced induction unit. it has a 60-second "warm up" cycle used for emissions to bring the cats up to operating tempurature, and an electro-magnetic clutch that shuts off the supercharger while not under load for fuel efficiency. then you have the VDO drive-by-wire throttle body and VDO bypass valve that release overboost after a rapid decelleration and directly interfaces with the ECU.

to start bypassing pieces in a puzzle like this will generally cause you more problems than what it's worth. it's a "roots" type blower, and produces great torque even at very low rpm. the design of the kompressor makes it so efficient that the gains of bypassing it clutching on/off would be very very minimal, and would most likely reduce the life of your M45 significantly. this is why it can still produce 185-192hp, with great torque and still squeeze 29mpg on the highway.

if you're considering bypassing the clutch due to a likely failure (lots of clutch noise, clunking/jerking, and general signs of failure) then your best bet is to simply replace the clutch, clean the VDO bypass, and service the oil on the supercharger. You'll get another 100k miles out of it easily before a rebuild would even be in question.

xvvvz
12-13-2006, 11:10 AM
>>@xvvvz - since when are people who want maximum performance terribly concerned with sound? (i kid, i kid hehe)<<

Hehehe... you secretly always coveted the sound of street sweepers and Zamboni (sp?) machines, right? ;)

Proven Guilty
12-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by xvvvz
>>@xvvvz - since when are people who want maximum performance terribly concerned with sound? (i kid, i kid hehe)<<

Hehehe... you secretly always coveted the sound of street sweepers and Zamboni (sp?) machines, right? ;)

haha, man i'm being 100% honest when i say i used to run and ice rink and drive a zamboni :D i gotta dig up the pics now. i am the definition of nerdy white boy!

inertia74
01-06-2007, 04:59 PM
the clutch for your supercharger is an electromagnetic clutch which relies on input from your crank and cam sensors. the clutch cannot be bypassed without compromising your engine and drivetrain electronics.