PDA

View Full Version : Terrible gas smell

marsbike
12-13-2006, 10:56 PM
well, I've got a 97 C230, with 117xxx on the clock, and about two weeks ago I've noticed a VERY strong scent of gas and exhaust. It's to the point where I can't even make a short trip across town (2-3 miles tops). I understand that there is a problem where some 202's will experience leaking by the fuel rail. Unfortunately, my apt. management doesn't like it when I pop the hood on my car, even to fill the windshield washer resivoir, so I'm unable to check for leaks for the time being. Honestly, I'm a bit afraid to drive this thing, not only from the health standpoint of sucking unburnt gas and exhaust fumes.

Anyways, any insight as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

Also, forgot to mention that my milage to the 3/4 mark has dropped significantly. Normally I'm able to eek out about 150 miles with a quarter tank, but with this one, It's closer in the range of 45 miles, so I know that there's a leak somewhere...Just, where could it possibly be?

I can't check underneath for leaks, mostly because I haven't driven it in a few weeks, and have been having fun with my new (86) 4runner.

OCKlasse
12-13-2006, 11:04 PM
cats gone bad?

jnolte
12-13-2006, 11:31 PM
get some gas x and wipe ur ass

marsbike
12-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
cats gone bad?

would bad cats cause my milage to be less than 1/3 of normal, as well as strong gas (petrol) smell in the cabin?

marsbike
01-09-2007, 05:44 PM
alright, last ditch effort...not the cats, that would cause a sulfur smell in addition to the gas smell...any chance it might be the fuel rail, or a fitting that connects to it thats causing the smell and leaking?

matt09
01-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by marsbike
alright, last ditch effort...not the cats, that would cause a sulfur smell in addition to the gas smell...any chance it might be the fuel rail, or a fitting that connects to it thats causing the smell and leaking?
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9928&highlight=gas+leak
Give that a try.

marsbike
01-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by matt09
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9928&highlight=gas+leak
Give that a try.

Thanks. I've seen that before, and believe it or not, my car has the "peeing dog" condition as well, but I keep a mindful ear and a lot of patience when I fill up. Been like that since the day I bought it a year ago, and haven't had the smell at all.

Although, took it for a drive today (hasn't been driven in about a month) and noticed that there is a distinct smell at lower speeds, and after about 10-15 min. of driving, only at street speeds. On the highway, it's not nearly as noticible.

I'm beginning to think it *minght* be the cat, but I'm not throwing any CELs at the moment.

I gotta check with my cat mechanic.

http://shadowdane.shackspace.com/cats_files/mechanic.jpg

grover96
01-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I just had my left fuel tank sending unit replaced. It was leaking fuel at the electrical connect (not good) and I could smell it whenever I started it up. It was part #208.470.06.41. Unfortunately you can't buy just one, it come with a unit for both tanks.