PDA

View Full Version : Steering/Suspension Issue (dealer's pissing me off)

davis449
12-14-2006, 02:34 PM
So I took my car in for this clicking noise that I hear while turning the wheels. I've brought this to my dealer's attention many times over the last year and a half and they can never find a cause for it. My sister, when she had the car, complained about it as well and got the same response from her dealer in Chicago. So anyway, I finally got them to really look at it and they came back at me with "something loose in the steering rack". Great! This is something I told them could be a cause of the vibration trouble that I've been having ever since I got this car, and they blew me off those times last year and said that the steering rack would have not cause my vibration issue. Yeah...right. So my Service Advisor tells me that because the it isn't borken, I'm going to have to pay $245 for them to adjust it. Fine. I told them to do it. After they do it, he comes back and tells me that it's only made the clicking noise more consistent and that they are going to have to start tearing up my car to find the problem. I, personally, think the steering rack was, and still is, fucked and needs to be replaced. Right before I told him to do the adjustment on the steering rack, I asked him what the consequences of going without would be and he said "steering play and VIBRATION". Hmmm...we've been here before, haven't we? Jesus, I swear, sometimes I just want to punch someone! So now they're trying to blame it on my suspension modifications, which is complete bullshit, saying the the suspension is under "too much tension". Yeah...right, that's why a shit load of members on this board have the same setup and no issues...sure....right.

Proven Guilty
12-14-2006, 02:51 PM
especially on eibach and billsteins. that's very similar to the setup on the C36, only a little lower.

there's so many things that could be clicking, but if it got worse after adjusting the steering rack i would really check out your tie rod ends, and steering dampner/shock.

OzC36
12-15-2006, 03:12 AM
Could it be the front wheels rubbing on the wheel-house plastic lining when the steering wheel is turned?

You have big wide wheels, right?

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3998/dsc02068fi8.th.jpg (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02068fi8.jpg)

davis449
12-15-2006, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by OzC36
Could it be the front wheels rubbing on the wheel-house plastic lining when the steering wheel is turned?

You have big wide wheels, right?

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3998/dsc02068fi8.th.jpg (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02068fi8.jpg)

No, this is a popping/clicking noise when I cut the wheels at low speed or sitting still. This car has had this problem since WAY before I took possession of it in July 2005 and modified it. It did NOT get worse when I lowered it, it has always been the same.

69chevelle
12-15-2006, 05:08 AM
I have had the same noise and my mechanic told me it was the bushing and tie rod. It only makes that clicking noise when I turn tight into a driveway or back into a parking space.

OzC36
12-15-2006, 05:12 AM
Perhaps hoist the car or put the front end up on jack-stands. Get one person to turn the wheel and another to isolate where the noise is coming from (a stethoscope would be very useful here)?

OzC36
12-15-2006, 05:18 AM
69chevelle

I think you have the rubbing on the wheelhouse problem! Notice how the louvres in the vent are damaged on mine? I re-adjusted the plastic bits to cure the problem.

I think davis449's problem is a noise that happens during turning of the steering wheel (not the steering wheel already turned to nearly full lock). He also says it happens when the car is not moving as well.

davis449
12-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by OzC36
69chevelle

I think you have the rubbing on the wheelhouse problem! Notice how the louvres in the vent are damaged on mine? I re-adjusted the plastic bits to cure the problem.

I think davis449's problem is a noise that happens during turning of the steering wheel (not the steering wheel already turned to nearly full lock). He also says it happens when the car is not moving as well.

This would be correct. I have talked to my SA today and he said that rather than tear anything else up to find the clicking noise and having it possibly end up costing a bunch of $ for nothing, I should just take it back and wait for something to happen. I say that if it (whatever IT is) hasn't happened in the last 45K miles that I've had this problem, it probably isn't that big of an issue, but we'll see.

I have had the same noise and my mechanic told me it was the bushing and tie rod. It only makes that clicking noise when I turn tight into a driveway or back into a parking space.

Thanks for this, I will mention this when I pick the car up this afternoon.

Will_w202
12-15-2006, 03:50 PM
There is no "rack" on these cars. It's a recirculating ball system, with a steering gearbox assy, center drag link, and tie rods

davis449
12-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Will_w202
There is no "rack" on these cars. It's a recirculating ball system, with a steering gearbox assy, center drag link, and tie rods

Yeah they said it was a steering box adjustment. Your're right there isn't a rack on these cars. Sorry about that.

69chevelle
12-16-2006, 03:29 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OzC36
[B]69chevelle

I'll have to check that out...The pic gave a better perspective...thanks!