PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake replacement on C43

ledrocnoc
12-14-2006, 04:29 PM
I need to replace the rear brakes on my 1998 C43. Besides the rotors, pads and maybe brake sensors (these are cheap, might as well replace them), what do I need?

Proven Guilty
12-14-2006, 04:46 PM
you've covered it all.

edit: i forgot to mention, the only other thing you might need is a hammer ratchet if you live in a climate where rust could be a problem. there is an allen-head bolt that holds the rotors in place on my '99 C230K and it is likely present on the C43 as well. If i recall, it was a 4mm allen wrench, but if its really stuck on there, autozone has a tool that will give it a 1/4 torque turn with the use of a hammer in a ratchet style driver for about $15.

don't forget the anti-squeal paste, and a sturdy C-clamp to reset the caliper pistons :)

well, then again you could always upgrade to stainless steel braided brakelines with teflon coating, for about $115 front and rear from stop tech. it would take the spongy feel out of the pedal, but i know the C43 brakes are already vastly superior to what the other W202s came with.

jnolte
12-14-2006, 06:43 PM
you forgot the anti squeal paste

Proven Guilty
12-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
you forgot the anti squeal paste

line #5 hoho!

jnolte
12-14-2006, 08:25 PM
ah you edited that

stox
12-14-2006, 08:50 PM
As an option, I like to put anti-seize compound between the hub and rotor. Insures that the next rotor replacement is that much easier.

ncd
12-15-2006, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by stox
As an option, I like to put anti-seize compound between the hub and rotor. Insures that the next rotor replacement is that much easier.
hm.. I never did get my big brake upgrade road map, worked out... Ive got the front ones worked out, I so wish I could find this guys guide to doing it.. it was truely brilliant, good quality pics and written in such a way that us average diy guys could deal with and be fully prepared, for the unexpected, which he encouted a couple of times.

pointing out the anti squeel greece and this rusty allen bolt is aprecieted here.. I need a flight check list of parts and procedures to read for a few weeks to beable to do it decently.. so things go with out any screw ups.