PDA

View Full Version : Disconnected Battery, now boot wont open!

Kompressor_Dude
12-17-2006, 06:30 AM
Hi guys, looking for a quick answer if anyone can help? Have just used the guide on here to install my sub and amp (awesome help, thanks!)

I disconnected the battery negative as it said, and once i'd finished working in the boot shut it and went through to the front to wire in the head unit. It's raining so i closed my boot and now with the battery disconnected i cant get in it again!!!

The key wont open the boot (wont push all the way in??) and the button in the console/on the plip wont work as there's no power.

What can i do?!?!?! is there an emergency release for the boot? can i get to the boot through the back somehow? would really appreciate some help as i cant do a bloody thing with the car until i get into the boot and get that negative terminal hooked up again!

Thanks in advance, damn i feel stupid! :rolleyes:

Kompressor_Dude
12-17-2006, 07:14 AM
Had a further search (after realising you guys call it a trunk?!:D ) and found a few bits. only problem is i dont have another car to jump it from the junction box, and after half a can of WD40 the key still wont work!

Cant believe they didnt put an emergency mechanical release in the cab somewhere, with fixed seats and no battery you're stuck!

Please post and help if you can, i really have to go somewhere and the bloody thing wont start :bored:

The 12v cig lighter trick, is that a 12v battery wired to it or is there a special charger?

xvvvz
12-17-2006, 07:20 AM
This problem is much more common than I would have guessed. I encourage everyone to bookmark the following threads because they may need them in the future.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5771&highlight=jump+start

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=25673

xvvvz
12-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Why didn't MB put large/obvious jumper connectors in the engine compartment like other manufacturers do for there cars with the battery in the trunk?! They over-engineer everything else, so why not this? Grrrrr.

Kompressor_Dude
12-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the links, i'd already found the 1st one but cant do any of them........ Key blades dont work :( & 12v lighter seems like pissing into the wind!

Is the W208's placement of the jump points different to those of my W202?

And also, will jumping the battery work if the negative terminal is disconnected?

Im not far off going at the boot lock with a screwdriver........ got to be at work soon and this is not enjoyable!!

Thanks for your help, looks like its gotta be jumped (if the neg. disconnection isnt a problem)

Grr, this is the first i've cursed MB design - but what an obvious one to miss!

iwhocorrupts
12-17-2006, 11:15 AM
If the negative terminal from the battery isn't grounded then nothings going to work.. the cars not getting any charge.

Mark

c280nz
12-17-2006, 11:29 AM
there must be somewhere where you can hook a 12v feed into the car, at a guess you should be able to hook a +ve 12v charge in around the feed for the starter motor and then just put a earth anywhere solid.
if you want to use a 12v feed through the cigarette lighter remember the key will need to be turned on to acc

Kompressor_Dude
12-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks Mark, that's what i thought. The negative battery pole on the donor car is linked to the negative battery pole on my car via the chassis, so if the battery on mine isnt hooked up its not a complete circuit and there's no way i'll get any charge.....

Going to phone a locksmith and a mobile mechanic tomorrow morning, whoever's cheapest is going to get the money I was supposed to spend on a new grille :bored:

Unless anyone has any other ideas?!?!

Was considering knocking through the back of the arm-rest (sure its a ski-hatch on some models so must be pretty thin) but the boot's deep and hooking up the negative in the dark from that distance will be damn near impossible :(

Might also bust the lock with a screw driver, fix the battery back up and then smooth/de-lock the boot, i've been looking at putting a reversing-camera in the back to hook up to my TFT monitor anyways, could turn a pain-in-the-ass situation into a decent mod!

Any comments?

xvvvz
12-17-2006, 12:49 PM
FYI - for anyone who has found this thread, if you haven't already, you should go to this other thread. New pictures and confirmation of location have been added toward the bottom of the thread:

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5771&highlight=jump+start

jnenad16
12-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Kompressor_Dude
Thanks Mark, that's what i thought. The negative battery pole on the donor car is linked to the negative battery pole on my car via the chassis, so if the battery on mine isnt hooked up its not a complete circuit and there's no way i'll get any charge.....

dont give up just yet. as long as you are connecting the positive and the negative properly from either another car via jumper cables or from a jump starter unit, all you are doing is introducing a foreign source of power, which will work same as if you had the battery connected in your car. like I said, make sure the negative connection has a good, clean ground.

nenad

Kompressor_Dude
12-18-2006, 02:00 AM
You're right Nenad, i just managed to jump it from my mate's fiesta :)

Had to use speaker cable as i dont have jump leads...... and its raining! other than that it was pretty straight forward.

Phjoned around earlier and a locksmith wanted £75 just to bust the lock and merc wanted over £100 in parts......

So thanks for your help! :D

jnenad16
12-18-2006, 10:44 AM
glad I could help. :)

nenad