PDA

View Full Version : Got New MAF and CEL still on and rough when cold?!

Tony Mah
12-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Hello,

My CEL has been on for about 3 months, my 99 c230k started and drove normally but was a bit sluggish on the acceleration. I got my brakes done recently and was told the MAF was going. I purchase a new MAF from ebay, installed it, unplugged my battery and the CEL went off and and the power came back in my car. After 2 days something strange is happening:

1. the CEL came back on but the engine runs fine
2. after the car is left out in the garage over night, it will start fine and when I drive out the rpm needle will start jumping from 1.6k to 2k and the car will start jerking until it warms up for about 2-3 minutes, then it became normal.
3. Now even after work driving out of the parkage the car will jerk for a few minutes.

I am wondering if I should put the old MAF back in and give up the extra power as at least the car didn't have to warm up. Any ideas?

Tony

stox
12-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Here's a silly idea, get the code pulled to see why the CEL is on? It will probably give you a pretty good idea what the problem is.

therock2689
12-19-2006, 02:29 AM
During the 60 sec warm up, the car tends to drive rough, y i dont know. Teh warm up will happen if you drive for about 4 hrs. for teh CEL, go to you local autopart and they will scan it for you, give you the code and then you find out what it means, simple.

Rock

Polestar
12-19-2006, 06:16 AM
was told the MAF was going.

Only symptom was sluggish performance?
If your MAF has deteriorated to the point of needing replacement, you'll prob. get a CEL, otherwise I'd clean it first.

Sure, put the old one back in and see what happens. Maybe the one you purchased on Ebay is defective?

Good luck.

Proven Guilty
12-19-2006, 08:44 AM
there is the possibility your replacement MAF is defective. i've had my fair share of lemon replacement parts, even bosch and other brand names from a dealership directly (crank position sensor).

i would check for codes. depending on your mileage your symptoms could include the oxygen sensor, and/or test probe. i just ordered both for my car and they came yesterday afternoon so i'll be installing them today for my code P0410.

hope that helps