PDA

View Full Version : Reminder for Users of Cassette Adapters for iPods

xvvvz
12-28-2006, 09:41 AM
For people using a cassette adapter to listen to their iPod, make sure you have the noise reduction (Dolby) for cassette players turned off. It is hard to see that this feature is activated when the display/door is down. This is an easy thing to overlook but it makes a big difference in sound if you are stuck using a stock stereo and adapter. I thought it might be helpful to post this for the newbies who are learning to adapt their new Christmas iPods to their 202's :)

benzonline
12-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Good reminder! I never seen the point of Dolby...I know it takes away tape "hiss" but it acts like someone turned the treble all the way down!

taimyshukah
12-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Just curious, but how do you turn it off? And i thought cassette adapters would be impossible to use because the tape door cant close.

stox
12-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by benzonline
Good reminder! I never seen the point of Dolby...I know it takes away tape "hiss" but it acts like someone turned the treble all the way down!

That is the way Dolby works. It boosts the treble on the recording of the tape so the high end is way above the hiss. Then, when playing, it takes the treble down to normal, leaving the hiss in the basement.

xvvvz
12-28-2006, 11:09 AM
taimyshukah - you might want to read my "$0.49 Fix To Use an MP3 Player or iPod With Mercedes OEM Stereos" tutorial:

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10967&highlight=stereo

You turn the Dolby NR off by using one of the "soft buttons" below the display. As I said, tough to see when the door is down. You can put in an old tape and play it with the door shut to turn the Dolby NR off and then switch back to the adapter (it should "remember" the last tape playing settings.

xvvvz
12-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Don't forget that you set the bass, treble, fader and balance on the stereo separately for the each of the different stereo modes. In other words, if you have set these settings for the radio, they don't change for the cassette/cassette adapter. You have to set them all separately for each mode and then the stereo remembers the group of settings for each mode of play.

benzonline
12-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Using a tape adaptor with a thin flexible wire (Panasonic) it is able to close the door with no beep.

http://www.freewebs.com/c230k/100_0153.jpg

EDM6VIP
01-15-2007, 02:36 PM
i have the 95 c220 old model stereo does that have dolby??? if so how do u turn it off??????? thanks!

pnsji
01-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Please look at your head unit:
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/6466/mvc010sar6.jpg

If you look at number 1 to 6, number 1 has the dolby logo. If I remember correctly, you need to press and hold number one and watch the display. If the dolby logo is no longer there, then it means the dolby is off.

EDM6VIP
01-19-2007, 02:45 PM
thanks i figured it right after i post the previous reply (me blind)