PDA

View Full Version : Are there 2 bearings in each front wheel?

alpine951
12-30-2006, 07:47 AM
I brought my wifes 98 C230 in for its annual inspection yesterday here in Massachusetts. I don't drive the car that much, she does. She had been complaining about noises coming from it like something is dragging. I never hear anything when i drive it. The shop failed it due to needing a left front wheel bearing and a right side ball joint. Plus he failed it because the check engine light was on and it threw off a code that I recall as the EGR valve or clogged tube issue. The light has been on for close to three years with no problems. When I drove the car home I noticed the slight whine from the left front on an off ramp turning right. Later on when going down my street I swerved left and right a bunch of times and heard the whine when turning right. I opened up the Haynes manual and I see the bearing is adjustable. I jacked up the car and noticed a bit of play in the wheel. I tightenedd the adjusting nut a bit and there still might be a bit of play still although less than before. I guess I will just replace the bearing. I went to AUtohausAZ and this link shows there are two. Is there an inner and outer bearing?

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=cmmb3mujclhuoo55n0gql445&makeid=800016@Mercedes&modelid=1316343@C230&year=1998&cid=@wheel%20bearing&gid=1644@Wheel%20Bearing%20Kit

I picked up a lower ball joint without realizing there was an upper as well. If I had known this I would have pressed they inspection guy as wether the upper or lower needed replacement. I will have to jack up the right side and see what I can determine.

nhmercracer
12-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi Alpine,

Having lived in MA my whole life, I cannot understand how you passed emissions on that car with the CEL on in the past three years. Find a new inspection station. The front wheel bearings are the top set in the link you posted. The second bearing on the page is the rear wheel bearing. Now the lower ball joint is usually the one that wears, as it supports the weight if the car and is nearest the road dirt and debris. The wheel bearing can be replaced in a couple of hours, if you have done this before. The lower ball joint will require disassembly of the front suspension, and the correct tools to complete the job.

Sean

NISMOPOWERED
12-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Heck I did both my lower joints in 1 hour. Takes a jack, stands, and a big hammer.

Oh and BTW if the bearings are making noise replace them. Check all your vaccuum lines and clean the egr pipe and ports.

alpine951
01-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Hey NISMOPOWERED,

Have you removed the egr pipe? It looks like I have to remove a ton of stuff from the top of the motor to get at the egr valve.

NISMOPOWERED
01-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Yes I have, but mine might not be like yours. I have also pulled the head done springs and a few other things.