PDA

View Full Version : Problem filling the tank

soldier
01-03-2007, 09:44 AM
I did a few searches but couldn't find a definitive answer

so the problem is, the tank is running yellow on the indicator, but everytime I go and fill it up, the pump goes in, fills for a few seconds, and just clicks, even though the tank is near empty

I tried lifting the nozzle out a bit, and filling it slowly, but nothing. Same problem. Just keeps clicking. I tried different gas stations, different pumps, problem continues.

And when I try easing up on the pump and flowing it slowly, it just overflows. BUT THE TANK IS NEAR EMPTY

So everytime I end up with a pool of overflow under the tank and overflow over the cap. I figured there might be something obstructing the gas flow into the tank.

This is a very, very frustrating process as it is below zero here now and I have to stand outside for 20 min just to fill $7-8 worth (it's about $0.85CDN/L here)

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem??

Thanks

rman
01-03-2007, 11:00 AM
i had the same problem. it turns out all benzes are like this.

i actually just recently learned that you have to fill up the tank on the lowest setting or "click" on the nozzle.

I filled up yesterday, and i was already really late to an appointment. It's not fun waiting 10 minutes for your tank to fill up when the big diesel next to you with a 30 gallon tank fills up and leaves while you are still waiting for it to hit $7 worth.

Capt
01-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Try turning (clocking) the nozzle a little to the left or right. I had the problem with my 190E and that worked for me.

broke driver
01-03-2007, 12:18 PM
I had the same problem when I got my car, and even the tilting thing didn't work. I have to stand next to it, holding it in and tilting the nozzle a little up, holding it at the midway point between top and bottom. This does the trick.

HTH

-Joseph..

matt09
01-03-2007, 12:21 PM
I let some of the nozzel's holes outside so it can breathe and lift it up a tad. If I let it rest on the car it always clicks.

soldier
01-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Does anyone have a definite fix to this or are we all permanently stuck with this problem?

Proven Guilty
01-03-2007, 03:44 PM
it only seemed to be a problem at gas stations with a vapor trap on the end of the pump. when i was working in detroit and chicago last winter, it was like topping off any other car, regardless of how much gas was in the tank.

it's not really something to "repair" so to speak, it's just the way it was designed that has problems with vapor trap gas pumps thinking that its a full tank.

Abuimad
01-03-2007, 10:30 PM
knock on wood, my car never does that...i just press on the gas nozzel, and it fills her up to the tip...although it seems that a lot of the 202 owners have had that problem since i keep hearing about it in the forums

jnolte
01-03-2007, 11:51 PM
you kids need to learn how to search

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6705&highlight=gas+problem

NEA-4311
01-04-2007, 01:21 AM
Give him a break, its only his 4th post.

soldier
01-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
you kids need to learn how to search

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6705&highlight=gas+problem

awesome, thanks for your help

soldier
01-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Problem solved.

Filled my first full tank in weeks today, thanks to the good guys at B2

called the dealer earlier and their solution was replacing the charcoal filter

a mere $600CDN, half a day job

so i decided to take it to B2 and have them take a look and 1 hour and $40CDN later, my 202 is good to go for fuel again.

Thanks to everyone for their input and help