PDA

View Full Version : Creaking seat!!

benzonline
01-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Recently, the drivers seat in my 202 has started to creak making turns...its coming from the seat belt area where you buckle it into the anchor. Im assuming its the plastic piece down there but cant pinpoint it and I dont really want to stuff things around the seat to make it stop.

Any ideas?

matt09
01-04-2007, 09:08 AM
It's probably the center console. I think we are all familiar with the noise the gear knob area cover makes when rubbing against the sides that hold it.

benzonline
01-04-2007, 09:35 AM
This is 100% the seat. Console seems fine.

xvvvz
01-04-2007, 10:39 AM
I get creaking/squeaking from a couple of moulded plastic trim pieces along the side of the seat cushions. Mine is usually on the left side of the driver's seat where a piece or two snaps in to the larger piece of plastic that goes along the side. I was thinking about opening it up and putting some silicone lubricant along where edges and notches meet/rub.

benzonline
01-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Ya its the plastic pieces...perhaps Ill put some tiny pieces of foam?

xvvvz
01-04-2007, 12:12 PM
I can stop the noise by putting pressure on the suspect plastic piece so that it is tight up against the other plastic, therefore, I think a wedge/shim of some sort like the foam you mentioned would have a good chance of doing the trick. The key is finding a suitable wedge material to get the job done that doesn't stick things together and doesn't look ass-ugly ;)

Another thought I had was just disassembling the plastic parts and putting in a small thin bead of GE silicon (like caulk that never gets hard but stays in place) into the area where the plastic parts meet. Then let the bead completely dry before reassembling.. Hopefully it would act like a bit of a shim and tighten things up. If it didn't work, just peel it off.

benzonline
01-04-2007, 01:25 PM
God damn MB and their plastics. I had this problem with all my MBs because I think the plastic is just too hard and then rattles.

I will have a look on the weekend...thanks!;)

benzonline
01-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Well I had a look today as I got out of work. I sat in the back seat and popped off the plastic piece on the side of the front seat just enough so its undone.

Got in and drove off...CREAK! I said damn its the seat! I then lowered the seat position one notch and did another turn...creak is gone!

I had the seat position all the way to the highest cause I hate sitting low, but guess one notch down solved it. :)

C32 BENZ
01-05-2007, 02:49 PM
The same thing happened on my 202 is was driving me insane,just by repositioning the adjuster it went away :) boy i was glad !

regards sonny

Espresso
01-05-2007, 03:14 PM
I had somewhat of the same problem. The seatbelt squeaked like you described..lowering the seat solved it. Taking off from a stop, seat creaked & also when reclining back, adjusting the headrest, & moving it back.

I took out the seat & sprayed white lithium grease all over the tracks, bolts, ect.. That fu**er is smooth like soft butter now. No squeaks, squeals, or otherwise.

benzonline
01-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Hmm maybe I should do that now in the summer. Espresso, so you saying if I spray all the joints in the seat its all good to go?

My seats are pure manual. Would I open the back part of the seat?

Espresso
01-05-2007, 04:02 PM
About the manual seats on the Benz I have no idea. Every damn thing on my seats are controlled electronically..even the headrests.
But ALL seats can benefit from lubrication, ecpecially the tracks. I just use white lithium like I stated. ALOT of people use heavy grease, but not me. Grease attracks BIG clumps of shit..like french fries, stones from shoes, ect..Not to good for people with children, have friends, ect.
Lithium is thinner, but lubricats much better for seats, especially electronically controlled ones( I have 6 motors IIRC at abotu $200/ea I am not about to kill one), because with heavy grease the motors have to push though all that grease & whatever is caught in it, which can wear down tracks & even damage the motors, ect..
Granted the lithium needs to be resprayed every 6 months or so. It is worth it & doesnt stink no where near as much. Heavy grease need sto be saved for wheel bearings.