PDA

View Full Version : What size is the ball joint nuts?

alpine951
01-06-2007, 11:23 AM
The ball joint I got for my car only came with one new nut. I trashed both of the old ones. I just went to autozone and Loews and couldn't find one that fit. I know it takes a 22mm wrench. I am assuming it is metric threads. WHat size?

1995c280
01-06-2007, 07:03 PM
just go to the dealer for that. they'll get the right ones and it'll def be cheap unlike everything else!

Jason

alpine951
01-07-2007, 04:58 AM
Thr right side of my car is apart and I have to go to work tomorrow! Dam it! I didn't wan't this to happen. I guess I have to drive around to some other places to look today.

alpine951
01-07-2007, 02:08 PM
The Int'l autoparts I bought the ball joint from was closed today so I went across the street to the CAP. Thety had a new one for twice what I paid. Oh well. I bought it and installed the new one. All done

1995c280
01-07-2007, 04:20 PM
so i'm assuming the install went smoothly like everyone told you it would...see sometimes HAMMERS work wonders, LOL.

Jason

alpine951
01-08-2007, 04:17 AM
Not 100% smooth. I ended up buying a pickle fork and that worked great. just hammering didn't work as great. The guide pin on the ball joint that slips into the knickle came out from the ball joint and remained in the knuckle. tried to yank it out and it snapped off. Dam. A few minutes later i drilled it out and all was good. Pretty easy job.

1995c280
01-08-2007, 02:43 PM
HIT THE GYM, DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL SO YOUR VISION IS GOOD AND THEN USE THE HAMMER HARDER...HAHAHA

sorry but i had too >

just for future reference - next time the guide pin stays in the knuckle. just take vice grips and pull/twist the guide pin out of the new ball joint. alot easier than drilling out or prying out the old one from the knuckle. then just position the new ball joint over the old pin and your jobs done!!!!!!!!!

Jason

benzfan
01-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by 1995c280

just for future reference - next time the guide pin stays in the knuckle. just take vice grips and pull/twist the guide pin out of the new ball joint. alot easier than drilling out or prying out the old one from the knuckle. then just position the new ball joint over the old pin and your jobs done!!!!!!!!!

Jason [/B]

If you live in an area where rust happens, or if the pin breaks on you, drilling is the only option. The drill will cut the soft pin easily and not do any damage to the cast material around it. Make sure the drill is centered though, or you could force it to grab on the cast material and it will break. Cut or grind any remaining pin flush with the cast surface and use a center punch.

alpine951
01-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Thats exactly what happened. The pin metal was much softer and I started with a bit much smaller than the pin and centered it,then used two subsequent larger bits. Took all of five minutes.