PDA

View Full Version : Polyurethane Bushings?

Denlasoul
08-19-2003, 11:45 AM
Hey all:

Just wondering if anyone knew if stock bushings are only rubber? I am thinking about replacing my control arm bushings and thought about polyurethane ones. If the stocks are indeed rubber, does anyone know who makes a polyurethane bushing set for W202 or MB?

Also, anyone with +/- thoughts on them?

speedybenz
08-20-2003, 08:13 AM
DLS,

I can't seem to find anyone that makes any aftermarket bushings for our W202's or any Mercedes.

I heard from my dealer service foreman that the CLK Cabo bushings were soild and much heavier duty. The normal W202 bushing is an aluminum sleeve then a little rubber that connects the inner sleeve. So if the CLK bushing is soild rubber inside the alum. sleeve it would be much more stiff.

Something to check on. I do not know if the above is true or not.

Jeff

Denlasoul
08-20-2003, 09:32 AM
I contacted a company regarding having bushings made. Does anyone know if the front control arm bushings the same for all w202's? If so, would anyone be interested in a group buy? Also, if they can do this, I was thinking about having all my suspension and motor mounts done in polyurethane. Anyone else?

Regards,
DLS

speedybenz
08-20-2003, 11:14 AM
I would be interested provided they use the right kind of Poly. But I am not sure how that stuff is classified. I know there is a wide range of stiffness.

Jeff

Denlasoul
08-20-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by speedybenz
I would be interested provided they use the right kind of Poly. But I am not sure how that stuff is classified. I know there is a wide range of stiffness.

Jeff

Here's a link: Click me (http://www.goturethane.com)

Tump43
09-02-2003, 10:54 AM
Denlasoul:

I would very interested in getting a set of polyurethane bushings for my car. If you are going for a group buy for 202's, count me in.

When I replaced stock rubber with poly in my early days with a honda, the improvement in handling was dramatic and ride quality was not compromised.

Thanks,

Denlasoul
09-02-2003, 11:08 AM
Tump:

I received an email from the company above, and they said they can do it. All I need to do is send them the template. I think control arm bushings are like $40. So basically, the cost would be $40 + cost of polyurethane bushings. Probably lower if there is enough interest.

DLS

click the link in the above posts for more info.

Tump43
09-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Denlasoul:

Let's figure exactly which bushings we would like to replace with poly. I checked their site out and the co. you selected seems good.

If you like, I'll split the cost of the OE template bushings with you and we would then send in a double order. (We could save or sell our template -- depends on whether the co. will save the spec.'s).

Regards,

Rocky
09-02-2003, 12:46 PM
I'd be interested if the cost is right :)

Denlasoul
09-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Tump43
Denlasoul:

Let's figure exactly which bushings we would like to replace with poly. I checked their site out and the co. you selected seems good.

I was thinking about control arms first, then sways. I guess it would be better one at a time to see if a difference can be felt.

Let me do some research about stiffness and what to look for in a good polyurethane bushing.

Also, what EXACTLY comes in an OEM control arm bushing kit? Is the left and right bushing interchangeable? No sense in buying two if you could get away with one universal. :) Hopefully cost will not be too high.

DLS

Tump43
09-04-2003, 11:41 AM
Denlasoul:

I think it would be best to do control arms and sways at once. We'd experience the greatest benefit then. The bigest difference will come from replacing the sway bar bushings (it's like increasing the thickness of the sway bar). I'd like to do both the front and the rear at the same time (and any other bushings that tend to wear out too quickly -- steering bushings? -- this will save money in the long run).

I do not know if left and right control arm and sway bushings are the same but I believe that they would be. Can an expert mechanic out there let us know? SpeedyBenz?

Thanks,

Denlasoul
09-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I guess we should find out how much the OEM's cost, then go from there.

Control arms f/r (is there an upper and lower?)
Sway bars f/r
Steering bushings

At to the list anything else that could be changed.

DLS

JDoggery
11-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Any updates on this?

Denlasoul
11-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by JDoggery
Any updates on this?

Found a good place. I plan on having mine done fairly soon. I need to buy the OEM part, send it out, and the company will make them for me. Dont know cost yet, but the OEM bushings are about $100. The poly bushings shouldnt cost that much...but you never know.

Tump43
11-26-2003, 05:45 AM
Denlasoul

Let me know when you are going to do this. Order me a set as well. I'll split costs with you. Maybe Speedy wants in too?

Thanks

JDoggery
11-26-2003, 09:52 AM
I may also be interested in a set of these as mine need to eventually be replaced.

Denlasoul
11-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Denlasoul

Let me know when you are going to do this. Order me a set as well. I'll split costs with you. Maybe Speedy wants in too?

I havent forgotten about you. :)

speedybenz
11-26-2003, 07:53 PM
I am interested also. I have a setup for the rear control arm that would use spherical bearings and is very nice, but I have not completed the front R & D yet.

Poly bushings would be nice and would also keep some of the noise out of the car.

Jeff

Denlasoul
11-26-2003, 08:06 PM
I guess the question now is, how hard do we want the bushing to be?

The company says they determine the hardness based on the part's exposure to the elements and the type of work it will be performing. Do you think that is adequate enough, or are there more factors we need to consider? Also, how stiff of a bushing do we really need?

I would still like a minimal amount of comfort. Jeff, you may have other expectations. I'm sure they could make different stiffness ratings if we needed them.

speedybenz
12-01-2003, 05:00 PM
Has this moved forward any. I am wanting to get rid of the stock front bushings in the worst way.

I would think the bushing material would be softer than Delren by 10-20percent so it gives a little. It should be sleeved so that the bushing can rotate smoothly.

The stock bushings are solidly fixed and turn as a result of the rubber twisting. It acts like a little torsion bar. So the ability of the suspension to absorb small bumbs is somewhat diminished.

Jeff

speedybenz
12-02-2003, 07:43 AM
One thing I have found is that the stock bushings act like little torsion bars, as I posted before. So if you have not had the bolts on the lower arms loosened up since you lowered your car you will find once you do your car is may sit 1/2" lower or so.

The rear links are are helping hold up the car and since I removed them all my rear suspension droped about 3/4".

Jeff

moebiusgold
12-02-2003, 08:11 AM
One thing I have found is that the stock bushings act like little torsion bars, as I posted before. So if you have not had the bolts on the lower arms loosened up since you lowered your car you will find once you do your car is may sit 1/2" lower or so.

The rear links are are helping hold up the car and since I removed them all my rear suspension droped about 3/4".

Jeff

You should allways do this at the actual ride height. If you don't do this they will fail prematurly becasue they are being subjected to a continous torq. (stress) that was not intended in the orig. engineering. When your suspension travels the bushings can even see destructive forces if it was set (bolts tightened) with the suspension totally extended.

moebiusgold
12-02-2003, 08:50 AM
With urethane bushings you can tighten the bolts any where, as in any ride height. The bushing usually rotates on a seperate sleeve. There is some friction that was never there before because of this. There can be a lot of ride height difference between pushing up or down on a bumper.

J Irwan
12-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Denlasoul:

I think it would be best to do control arms and sways at once. We'd experience the greatest benefit then. The bigest difference will come from replacing the sway bar bushings (it's like increasing the thickness of the sway bar). I'd like to do both the front and the rear at the same time (and any other bushings that tend to wear out too quickly -- steering bushings? -- this will save money in the long run).

I do not know if left and right control arm and sway bushings are the same but I believe that they would be. Can an expert mechanic out there let us know? SpeedyBenz?

Thanks,

Denlasoul,

The left and right bushing is the same (just one part number)
the bushing kit (repair kit) for front lower control arm should be about $65-70 (retail) per side.

Also let me know, when you had this done, I amvery interested as I need to replace mine soon, since mine is torn now.. (This is another weak link of the W202 suspension).

By the way do we need special tool to remove and put this bushing on the control arm (is it something that DIY) or should I leave to the dealer..???

Regardz,

Denlasoul
12-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Thanks J!

I'll push this forward seeing that others are also interested. Sorry its taken awhile. I'll get the quotes to you guys.

MRP Motorsports
12-29-2003, 09:31 PM
I am interested also. I have a setup for the rear control arm that would use spherical bearings and is very nice, but I have not completed the front R & D yet.

Poly bushings would be nice and would also keep some of the noise out of the car.

Jeff

I have done the front control arm bushings for a customer with solid bearings. Actually the car has just finished its first season on the track without failure. Driver remarked the difference was amazing, since the 202 tends to push in the corners too much causing abrupt geometry changes.

I have a place locally that fabricates urethane bushings for the automotive industry. I looked into it but I can sell a set of sway bars with urethane bushings cheaper than making repalcement for all 6 sway bar bushings F/R.

Good luck, et al.

omegabenz
12-30-2003, 04:08 PM
I think unless you have a C36 with some crazy engine work, I dont think that polyurethane motor mountswould be good. The motor mounts are liquid filled so that it gives you a nice smooth ride. With polyurethane it might be too hard. You might want to ask this place what they think about the motor mounts.

I think that this group buy will work well for you. I dont have a 202, but Ill show the post to some friends.

You might try www.mercedesshop.com to get all the parts together.

J Irwan
12-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Thanks J!

I'll push this forward seeing that others are also interested. Sorry its taken awhile. I'll get the quotes to you guys.

hey man

any news on these polyurethane bushing for the front lower control arm..

I am in need for these, time for me to replace...

Otherwise I am going for stock rubber bushing in which I don't want to take unless I can get anything better.

Also I heard someone mentioned that CLKW208 convertible uses solid bushing..? Anyone knows if this is true..?

I couldn't find any info on www.mbworld.org on this topic.

Also does anyone know if we need special tool to push-out the old bushing and push-back-in the new bushing onto the control arm..

TIA :)

Regardz,

MRP Motorsports
12-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
hey man

Also does anyone know if we need special tool to push-out the old bushing and push-back-in the new bushing onto the control arm..

TIA :)

Regardz,

You need a press to chage bushings in the control arm.

For the front control arm bushing, I believe, if memory serves me right, you can use a 16vlv or 2.6 sporline bushing. These were solid one these two models. I believe it is also refered to as a control arm thrust bushing. The rear bushing is only available in OEM form as a asymetrical filled bushing. I have an application for this but I have only done it for race car on special request before.

If there is a need I can have urethane ones made locally but I would like to get some cores to use. I one set of cores here from the race car I did last year.

J Irwan
05-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Dennisss....

Any word on this front lower C-arm bushing..:)

I can't wait to replace mine, but I don't want to replace it with weak OEM ones.. ;)

Regardz,

Denlasoul
05-04-2004, 12:44 PM
J-

I got the rubber bushing somewhere in my place (I just moved a month ago) and was going to send it out. My guy was kinda ambiguous (sp?) to my questions and such, so I put it in the back burner. I plan on eventually having them done, but have been looking for other sources. If you are in real bad need, I would suggest talking to MRP Motorsports (on this board). I recall him stating something about bushings awhil back.

Sorry.

DLS

J Irwan
05-04-2004, 01:05 PM
on another note,

Someone did mention that W201 16v solid rubber bushing might work on W202 ...??

Can anyone confirm this..??

Regardz,

Chappy
03-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Old thread, I know....

Anybody use or try any of the bushing solutions mentioned (16v, 2.6 sportline, urethane?)