PDA

View Full Version : Main Fan Help

balling202
01-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey my main cooling fan goes off and on and its REALLY loud!!
Then it stays on sometimes and its soooo loud

its killing me why its soooooo loud

just a constant spinning of the fan is killing me
i can here it from a mile a way

any help:???

shandy
01-09-2007, 04:41 AM
What car?.
Are you talking about the cooling fan attached to the engine?. If so and it is making a loud roaring noise all the time ,it probably means the viscous coupling has locked up solid and needs to be replaced.
Check when the engine is cold and stationary whether the fan can turn freely, you should feel a slight resistance to turning but if there is strong resistance or it is locked solid ;as I said the coupling should be replaced.
George.

balling202
01-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks man

its a 96 c220

Yea its the main cooling can

ill try what you said

any other things it could be?

Ashkan's C280
01-09-2007, 03:05 PM
well, you could get a 79c stat, and fan switch for the two electric fans and then remove the big fan, although I am not sure I do believe you can remove then fan even when all you have is the 79c stat, I know jeff removed the fan without getting a lower thermostat, so i'm not sure, I have installed the lower stat, but have yet to remove then fan, and although it still comes on I find that it is not needed as when driving my temp does not go above 82c and when in complete stand still with ac on in super hot weather (90+) it will max out at 87c tops, so hope that helps.

balling202
01-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks alot but i dont quit get it :(

Like im pretty good with cars but i dont no what your saying

are you says i can get 2 little fans insted of the 1 big one

??

or somin like that :embarr:

Ashkan's C280
01-09-2007, 11:34 PM
I guess it could be different between the two years but the 97 i have has 3 fans, the big one like you and two small electric fans that turn on a certain points, you can get a fan switch to have them turn on as soon as the car turns on, as well as get a lower thermostat and remove the big fan, it will make less noise then, or not even get the fan switch and just take out the big fan, with the 79c stat it should be fine

jnolte
01-09-2007, 11:39 PM
If you are talking about the clutch fan, (one that spins on the belt) could be the clutch for the fan going bad. try and spin the fan by hand and if its very stiff thats the problem

I have the same problem RIGHT NOW!

balling202
01-10-2007, 11:15 PM
mhm k ill try that
when the weather is better

its -25 WOW

aha yea but would it be hard or expensive to fix ??

if it is what you guys think it is

shandy
01-11-2007, 02:20 AM
Sounds like it's just a wee bit chilly with you just now;seems our winter hasn't started this year, we haven't had any snow so far and only a few nights below freezing,Weird!!.
Only a 40min job to change your fan clutch, just one special tool ,a 36mm slim spanner to release the nut at the water pump(left hand thread) then unclip the radiator cowling and lift the cowling and fan out together, fit the fan to the new coupling and reassemble,no need to drain the cooling system as the radiator stays in place .
Obviously I don't know what a coupling will cost you, but in UK they are about £60 from motor factors.
George.:)

balling202
01-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey thanks alot !! ill do it myself then

where can i get the tool and the part?

ebay?

lol

shandy
01-11-2007, 02:59 PM
You should get the viscous clutch from any automotive parts supplier or go to MB dealer, the spanner you should be able to obtain from any tool supplier or if you have access to a bench grinder modify a big enough spanner to fit , the spanner does not have to be very robust ,as a sharp tap with a hammer on the spanner is normally all that is needed, just leave the drive belt on to provide resistance to turning.
Don't know if you can order from these people;http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/mercedesshop/sophio/wizard.jsp?partner=mercedesshop&clientid=catalog.mercedesshop&baseurl=http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/&cookieid=1YO0H415U1ZO14LQ1H&year=1995&make=MB&model=C-220-001&category=G&part=Fan+Clutch
Come back if you need more advice, George.

balling202
01-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Hey thanks alot George for the help !

seems to be your link doesnt work?

would ebay have this part or not?

also do you have a pic of the tool that needs to be used

so i can get an idea

shandy
01-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Don't know why the link doesn't work for you. Try, mercedesshop.com , which is their website.
The spanner is only a flat openended with 36mm jaw,but needs to have a thin profile to fit the available gap.
Cheers, George.