PDA

View Full Version : Common Problem or Not with Camshaft Sensor?

xvvvz
01-13-2007, 06:05 PM
While reading one of the UK MB forums, I came across an interesting thread. One w203 owner (“Fox”) had been estimated with a huge repair bill caused by a leaking camshaft position sensor where the oil migrated internally along the sensor’s wiring and went in and contaminated some expensive electronics. An MB mechanic (“Type49”) chimed in and said it was a common problem on M111 engines used in the “last of the 202 C Class” and the early 203s.

Is anyone here aware of this issue? It sounds like you can get an updated wiring harness/loom piece to prevent problems. I have read about this issue before but it was always in reference to 203s. Just curious if others have heard about this and taken the preventative measures by buying a new wiring harness piece ($30ish in the UK).

Here is a summary of the relevant posts from the 4 pages of posts to the thread:

--------------
“Type49”

Yes this is a common-ish problem. The camshaft adjuster leaks oil internally and this goes into the wiring loom. The oil travels along the loom and usually ends up at the lamda sensor on the exhaust. If you're unlucky, it goes into the engine ECU...more money! This can be avoided by fitting an in-line loom mod bit, which is about 6" long and is designed to absorb oil and not let it pass through to the loom.

-------------
“Type 49”

The problem is only on later 111 engines - very last of the 202 c class, early 203 c class & 208 clks. See if you can check your engine number via log book, MB data card etc. If it starts with 271 you're OK.

-----------
“Type49”

Part number for the mod is 2711502733 £14.36+vat. I would recommend anyone who has an early 203 4 cylinder with engine number starting 111 buys this part. It is an easy DIY fit. Remove front engine cover trim & plug new loom between cam adjuster & old loom. This may save you £1000+

----------------
“Fox”

Thanks type49, it is on my estimate too.
MA271 150 27 33 GEO25D STARTER LINE £14.36 + vat

-------------
“Type49”

…. just changing the adjuster MAGNET, which is the piece that actually leaks the oil in the first place… The cam adjuster itself ( the expensive bit ) won't need changing unless it's noisy or has failed. Every one I've done, I've only had to change the cam magnet, which is much cheaper & much less labour to replace.

---------------
“Ultymate”

After seeing this thread I checked my engine No on my 1998 C230K and it begins with 111. I removed the engine trim and there is evidence of oil leakage around the plug on the cam adjuster so off to my indie whose ordered the part and I should have it in the next couple of days whilst on the phone to Mercs my indie asked how popular the part is, to be told that Mercs had sold over 2,500 in 2006

--------
“Type49”

"I think a 98 model is of the earlier design magnet that does'nt leak. Not sure if the mod part will even fit. See if you can return the part if it's not needed. Let us know as this may help others."

Comments?

RemoLexi
01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
after reading all that, I know mine is leaking. but yet I still dont know what to do to fix this. any help ?

http://a269.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/20/l_f2a8abd887c7ad216189c7e6c783c954.jpg

Ultymate
01-15-2007, 07:02 AM
I am the "Ultymate" in the above thread my engine No on my C230K did begin with 111 so I ordered the modified loom which when it arrived would not fit my car so if you suspect you have this problem check it out a little more carefully than I did that said the part only cost around £16:(