PDA

View Full Version : Where's diagnostic socket?

timmyj51
01-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Where's the diagnostic socket (to read check engine fault
codes) on a '95 C220? Was told its under the driver's dash
but don't see anything. Checked the engine bay and couldn't
find anything either.

stox
01-14-2007, 09:49 AM
There are two diagnostic sockets, the first one, ODBII is located above you right knee when sitting in the driver's seat. There is a small door you will need to open to see it. The other is a large round connector for Mercedes proprietary diagnostics. It has a screw off connector and is located where the ECU is, ie. passenger side, back of the engine bay. You will need to remove the cover over the ECU area to see it.

Espresso
01-14-2007, 10:08 AM
1st we need your location.

Overseas cars are different than stateside cars.

Powerslave
01-14-2007, 02:59 PM
same question as timmy..

i'm in greece c180 98'

timmyj51
01-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks. Found the one under the dash. I take it I can
read the "check engine" codes by plugging a testor into
this socket? BTW, the car's here in the states.

Proven Guilty
01-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by timmyj51
Thanks. Found the one under the dash. I take it I can
read the "check engine" codes by plugging a testor into
this socket? BTW, the car's here in the states.

you're correct. you can take it up to autozone, and they'll generally scan the codes for free (helps them to sell parts that way, as you may be interesed in ordering the replacement to fix whatever may be the problem).

timmyj51
01-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Can you recommend a reasonably priced code reader the DIYer can buy and use himself to
read the codes?

xvvvz
01-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that when it comes to reading the basic OBD II codes you can use any generic OBD II compliant scanner (assuming you are in the U.S. and your car is new enough for OBD II). You don't need one for Mercedes. I bought one of these (not from this seller) for $25 shipped from the UK. It says "for Mercedes C Class" on it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Code-Reader-Scanner-OBD-2-for-Mercedes-Benz-C-CLK-CL_W0QQitemZ160073437554QQihZ006QQcategoryZ30921QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But here is the same thing without the MB designation for less money that I bet works just as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AutoScanner-OBD2-SCANNER-ERROR-CODE-READER-OBD-II-2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQihZ014QQitemZ3 30071901260QQrdZ1

If I hadn't gotten mine so cheap, I would be tempted to get one like the following because it is supposed to provide LIMITED live data:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Professional-OBDII-OBD2-Trouble-Code-Reader-OBD-2-II_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQihZ002QQitemZ 120074953200QQrdZ1

I couldn't get a straight answer on what exact live data it would provide and didn't know if the data was OBD II compliant (which would have made me think there was a good possibility it might work with MB), so I didn't go for it. You might want to research it though because it could provide some cool stuff.

If you want a reader that will read more than generic OBD II codes, you need to look at a SnapOn reader, Carsoft or the Mercedes Star Diagnostics (there is a clone version of this too). Be warned though, these will set you back serious amounts of cash!

xvvvz
01-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Well, I happened to reread the text on the cheap generic one and it does say, "Will not work on VW, Audi & Mercedes. See our store for these", so maybe the German cars do something differently. If the seller is being honest and not just trying to make some extra money, it indicates there is a difference. I would have thought OBD II data was pretty much standard.

Proven Guilty
01-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by xvvvz
Well, I happened to reread the text on the cheap generic one and it does say, "Will not work on VW, Audi & Mercedes. See our store for these", so maybe the German cars do something differently. If the seller is being honest and not just trying to make some extra money, it indicates there is a difference. I would have thought OBD II data was pretty much standard.

it's not necessarily that they don't work, the codes just aren't the same.

for example, if you pull a code P1236 on a C230K, it's saying it's the air conditioner by the standard OBD-II code, but it's actually a malfunction with the supercharger clutch. it pulls the same code, you just need to cross reference the code it reads to the actual mercedes codes instead of the standard OBD-II codes. ;)

xvvvz
01-15-2007, 08:18 PM
If the forum moderator has a place on the club202 server to store it, I am willing to scan my code card into a .pdf so that people can use/buy the cheaper generic versions of the scanners.