PDA

View Full Version : more boost

krappy
01-17-2007, 07:27 AM
so i spoke to this guy who happens to be the head mechanic at silver star montreal. he also works at this luxury /exotics tuning place called ultracar. he could have easily sold me a pully but he told me they make the car extremely unreliable and that he wouldn't recommend it. i dont want to kill my car so im thinking of taking his advice, however i am very tempted*. Also the owner of the store claims that a brabus tuning chip could bring the car up to 240 hp. i find this very unlikely. what do you think?
thanks

Kompressor_Dude
01-17-2007, 07:48 AM
What car do you have?

Espresso
01-17-2007, 08:18 AM
I have seen most of his post deal with boost & a c230. So maybe a c230k?

omeyhomey
01-17-2007, 02:32 PM
you can do a mild boost upgrade and the ECU can take it (like around 1-2PSI boost max). Anything larger will require larger injectors. Its not necessarily "BAD" to increase boost just as long as you do the proper tuning and add fuel and etc. those 230K already have lower compression ratios so they should be able to handle extra boost easily. most manufacturers make their cars with huge safety margins in order to make sure the engines will last forever. The problems is finding a good pulley setup and not some hackjob off ebay or something. The Ebay pulleys are a serious liability and lawsuit waiting to happen so i wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole.

coolin
01-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
you can do a mild boost upgrade and the ECU can take it (like around 1-2PSI boost max). Anything larger will require larger injectors. Its not necessarily "BAD" to increase boost just as long as you do the proper tuning and add fuel and etc. those 230K already have lower compression ratios so they should be able to handle extra boost easily. most manufacturers make their cars with huge safety margins in order to make sure the engines will last forever. The problems is finding a good pulley setup and not some hackjob off ebay or something. The Ebay pulleys are a serious liability and lawsuit waiting to happen so i wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole.

I agree. I wouldn't both for 1-2 psi either.

krappy
01-18-2007, 09:22 AM
yeah it is a c230k, 2000. how about the asp pulleys what do you think of those? they claim a 3 psi increase in boost. or the kleeman pulleys?

xvvvz
01-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Kleeman doesn't make a pulley for the 202 anymore, do they?

omeyhomey
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
I do not like APS's approach either b/c they just hack up a stock pulley and then add on a thicker pulley section on the outside of the harmonic dampener. not my idea of making a great product. really the best thing to do is make the car as effiecient as possible on the current boost.

krappy
01-18-2007, 09:42 AM
ahhh i did not know that. thanks for the info. asp out of the questions. are there any pullys that dont change the boost but are lighter as to make the engine more efficient? as for the kleeman, they still advertise their kit on their website i dono if its available in north america still. however, carlsson also makes a pully. is it the same concept as asp?

omeyhomey
01-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by krappy
ahhh i did not know that. thanks for the info. asp out of the questions. are there any pullys that dont change the boost but are lighter as to make the engine more efficient? as for the kleeman, they still advertise their kit on their website i dono if its available in north america still. however, carlsson also makes a pully. is it the same concept as asp?

unfortunately yes, they are all super lazy and half ass their pulleys. all are basically modified stock pulleys. Honestly all together for now i'd stay away from pulleys until something legit comes out. whatever you do DON'T buy that speed tuning USA pulley add on, that thing is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Luwin1026
01-18-2007, 10:26 AM
I ran the Kleemann pulley and was extremely pleased with it - according to the boost gauge, it boosted (pun intended) the boost level to close to 11psi under max boost. I complemented that with Upsolute chip tuning - and ran an A/F gauge and it seemed that the ratio was ok. However, if I were to do it again, I might consider swapping the injectors are recommended in a few posts above.

I would contact Kleemann USA (Cory is a great guy who is extremely knowledgeable and helpful) and they can advise as to whether the kit is still available. And definitely get it installed by an authorized Kleemann rep ot ensure proper attention should anything go awry.

Proven Guilty
01-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Luwin1026
I ran the Kleemann pulley and was extremely pleased with it - according to the boost gauge, it boosted (pun intended) the boost level to close to 11psi under max boost. I complemented that with Upsolute chip tuning - and ran an A/F gauge and it seemed that the ratio was ok. However, if I were to do it again, I might consider swapping the injectors are recommended in a few posts above.

I would contact Kleemann USA (Cory is a great guy who is extremely knowledgeable and helpful) and they can advise as to whether the kit is still available. And definitely get it installed by an authorized Kleemann rep ot ensure proper attention should anything go awry.

still have the pulley kit? :o

Luwin1026
01-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
still have the pulley kit? :o

It went with the car when I sold it to the 80 year-old man. He sure loved it. ;)