PDA

View Full Version : cluster reprogramming

DRM
01-23-2007, 05:52 PM
hey guys,

I received my second hand c43 AMG cluster.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/Drmzxjd/drmc43amgcarboncluster.jpg

I have some questions:

1. I was wondering, can I get it reprogrammed to show the km's and next service details that my car has?

2. This cluster is from America, so it shows both km's and miles on the speedo, but in the LCD screen I assume it displays the numbers in miles?

I am in Australia and I would need the length travelled recorded in km's. Is this on the car or in the cluster? If I plugged it in would it wait to turn over a digit every 0.6 of a km to indicate a mile travelled? Or every meter / km would it record that how it is?

3. I asked the dealer and at first they said they could program it for me, now they are saying they can only reprogram the cluster if it is under one hundred and sixty km's. I think this cluster has over one hundred thousand km's so this is not an option. Has anyone else heard this?

And I contacted Steve, and Wanda replied saying that:

Programming used clusters IS possible, but is more difficult. If I remember correctly, one would need a special cable adapter to plug into stardiagnose (other end to the car / cluster), and enter all old info manually.

If I can find out the operation to get this cluster reprogrammed I guess I can explain it to the dealer and see if they will try it.

I am waiting on a response from Steve as well as I am sure he knows a lot more about this.

4. And I know some will recommend me to exchange the dials and pins with my cluster, but I think there are some differences with the AMG and normal clusters? Like there is a color difference or something? Some kind of thin coloured film behind the white faces? Does anyone know the differences apart from the white faces and white dials with AMG logo?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Espresso
01-24-2007, 05:14 AM
I am in the same boat as you. I need one reprogrammed also( different model cluster though).

Proven Guilty
01-24-2007, 11:16 AM
you can very easily remove the needles + cluster face plate. The dials' "face" is simply an etched sticker on top of a clear plexi panel that the light is emitted through. it pops in and out, and would save you the hassle of having to reprogram all of that (unless you have failed LCDs, and buying this replacement cluster was part of the solution to that).

Espresso
01-24-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm upgrading the look of the cluster(with Nav,ect). It isnt a W202 cluster, plus the speedo goes to 300kph.

DRM
01-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
you can very easily remove the needles + cluster face plate. The dials' "face" is simply an etched sticker on top of a clear plexi panel that the light is emitted through. it pops in and out, and would save you the hassle of having to reprogram all of that (unless you have failed LCDs, and buying this replacement cluster was part of the solution to that).

Hey Proven,

So you advise removing the entire plexi panel with the faces connected and simply transfer that across?

Do you know what the difference is between the normal cluster and the C43 AMG cluster? I was reading there is some colour difference? Some kind of orange plastic film behind the faces that is easily broken when transferring the faces across?

Also, if I transfer the faces across minus the plexi will the AMG logo still light up? On the back there is no globe under the traction warning light so it doesn't have its own seperate bulb, there might be an led there somewhere? Or does it get its light from the speed needle?

The only reason I wanted to reprogram is to keep the AMG differences like the supposed different colour and the lit up AMG logo, didn't know if these would still be there if I transferred the faces over, does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

DRM
01-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Hey Espresso,

Are you getting MBenzNL to do that multifunction cluster / steering mod? I think there has to be a way to modify the distance travelled or is everyone with these multifunction set ups from Steve getting new clusters from him with 0 - 160.0 km on them? (which can be easily coded at the dealer or someone who has the right software / instruments)

Proven Guilty
01-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by DRM
Hey Proven,

So you advise removing the entire plexi panel with the faces connected and simply transfer that across?

Do you know what the difference is between the normal cluster and the C43 AMG cluster? I was reading there is some colour difference? Some kind of orange plastic film behind the faces that is easily broken when transferring the faces across?

Also, if I transfer the faces across minus the plexi will the AMG logo still light up? On the back there is no globe under the traction warning light so it doesn't have its own seperate bulb, there might be an led there somewhere? Or does it get its light from the speed needle?

The only reason I wanted to reprogram is to keep the AMG differences like the supposed different colour and the lit up AMG logo, didn't know if these would still be there if I transferred the faces over, does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

i'll get pictures up for you friday, i'm terribly busy tonight and all day tomorrow. i literally have a fully disassembled full cluster in arm's reach of my computer at this very second :D

DRM
01-24-2007, 09:13 PM
alright man thanks a lot!

Espresso
01-25-2007, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by DRM
Hey Espresso,

Are you getting MBenzNL to do that multifunction cluster / steering mod? I think there has to be a way to modify the distance travelled or is everyone with these multifunction set ups from Steve getting new clusters from him with 0 - 160.0 km on them? (which can be easily coded at the dealer or someone who has the right software / instruments)

Not sure who MBenzNL is but i'll look him up.

Thanks.

BTW, the dealer here will not do it unless we buy new from them.

Screenwriter
01-25-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't know about Mercedes, but BMWs used to have a small module attached to the instrument cluster which contained the mileage info. Maybe you could check for the presence of such a removable module.

DRM
01-29-2007, 08:46 PM
After lots of calls, it seems that you can reprogram a used cluster, but only through those seedy mileage correction websites.

So I pulled the cluster apart, swapped out the whole plexi glass piece with my clusters one and it works fine! No peeling off of faces, just swap out the whole plexi (be careful).

Also, with the AMG cluster underneath the LCD strips you will find orange plastic see through material, swap these with your stock light blue looking ones.

Thanks for all the info though guys, but it seems too complicated to get it flashed with your mileage.

DRM
01-30-2007, 03:23 AM
Here are some pictures of the final product:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/Drmzxjd/drmc43cluster2.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/Drmzxjd/drmc43cluster.jpg

Proven Guilty
01-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by DRM
After lots of calls, it seems that you can reprogram a used cluster, but only through those seedy mileage correction websites.

So I pulled the cluster apart, swapped out the whole plexi glass piece with my clusters one and it works fine! No peeling off of faces, just swap out the whole plexi (be careful).

Also, with the AMG cluster underneath the LCD strips you will find orange plastic see through material, swap these with your stock light blue looking ones.

Thanks for all the info though guys, but it seems too complicated to get it flashed with your mileage.

haha, man i'm so sorry i didn't get those pics up for you, had a crazy weekend. yep, sounds like it turned out exactly as planned! last but not least, double check your speedo accuracy by comparing the new face place to the old one you swapped out. one of our members was using a C230K cluster in a 230NA where the NA stops at 150mph, and the C230K goes to 160 so his speed was significantly offset.

Looks great

Denlasoul
01-30-2007, 10:22 AM
C/f cluster...nice!

DRM
01-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
haha, man i'm so sorry i didn't get those pics up for you, had a crazy weekend. yep, sounds like it turned out exactly as planned! last but not least, double check your speedo accuracy by comparing the new face place to the old one you swapped out. one of our members was using a C230K cluster in a 230NA where the NA stops at 150mph, and the C230K goes to 160 so his speed was significantly offset.

Looks great

hah that's alright man it's a lot easier once you pop it open!

yeah thanks I will check that today. thanks denlasoul!