PDA

View Full Version : Car dies out

shogun
01-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Hi,

A strange problem has occured to my C43. Car just dies out while driving and refuses to start up again. Starter seems to work perfectly but for some reason it just won't turn the engine on. And then...when you have already given up, it starts and runs like a champion...until next die-out.

Went to diagnostics yesterday and computer didn't find anything.

Has anyone experienced something like that and what could be the issue?

jnolte
01-25-2007, 12:31 AM
crank postiiton sensor?

OzC36
01-25-2007, 01:38 AM
I've just been through this issue. Changed the OVP relay two or three times, the crank angle sensor two or three times, check the sparkplugs (they are standard copper core and brand new) and plug wiring, checked the coils, checked the voltage regulator, changed the battery, changed the MAF sensor multiple times, check connections to the engine ECU, changed the throttle body and nothing worked.

The other day just playing around under the hood with the engine running and gently tugged on the shiny black cable running down the the crank angle sensor. What ho?!!! The engine quit. Did it six more times and the engine quit each time.

There is something obviously wrong with the integrity of the wire or connector to the crank angle sensor. I will splice in a new section of wire and try that.

My engine wiring harness is not degraded, but the wire to the crank angle sensor is somehow stuffed.

Let me know how you get on with this problem.

Lordkoo
01-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by shogun
Hi,

A strange problem has occured to my C43. Car just dies out while driving and refuses to start up again. Starter seems to work perfectly but for some reason it just won't turn the engine on. And then...when you have already given up, it starts and runs like a champion...until next die-out.

Went to diagnostics yesterday and computer didn't find anything.

Has anyone experienced something like that and what could be the issue?

Check your fuel pump.

shogun
01-26-2007, 10:44 PM
OzC36, did you experience problems with starting the engine after die-out? But thanks a lot for pointing out a possible issue here as i'm getting desperate here.

Fuel pump is in top condition. Fuel pressure is 4.0.

OzC36
01-26-2007, 11:38 PM
shogun,

Mostly my car would immediately restart immediately. But sometimes I would spend 15 minutes or more trying to get it to fire up (if it doesn't fire within 5 seconds of cranking, stop and wait, otherwise you could overheat your starter motor).

Then later when I tried a larger spacer under the mounting of the CAS (Crankshaft Angle Sensor), it would not restart until the engine cooled down.

CAS failure is a common problem with 202's apparently. Also the sensor wire running down from the CAS to the ECU (engine control unit), from what I have read on various forums.

If it is not the CAS, also try a "technical tap" with handle of a screwdriver on the OVP (overvoltage protection relay). If this works you need a new OVP (another common failure).

MBHustla858
01-27-2007, 07:30 PM
put a new crankshaft position sensor.

if you would like to test the old one. hook up the ohm meter to it and heat it up w/ a hair dryer, if it closes the circut, its bad.

OzC36
01-28-2007, 03:56 AM
Hi MBhustler858,

I measured the ohms on three CAS's and found they were around 1140 ohm. After heating they went to about 1175 ohm.

I am not sure what constitutes a serviceable CAS, but these figures seem reasonable?

PS. If the Hustler had more torsional stiffness in the wings it might have been much more successful?

MBHustla858
01-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by OzC36
Hi MBhustler858,

I measured the ohms on three CAS's and found they were around 1140 ohm. After heating they went to about 1175 ohm.

I am not sure what constitutes a serviceable CAS, but these figures seem reasonable?

PS. If the Hustler had more torsional stiffness in the wings it might have been much more successful?

unfortunatly i don't have the exact specs. but they will get close to closing circut, so you did test three but your own?

MBHustla858
01-29-2007, 07:01 PM
BTW guy, this thread for for a guy who has a m113 engine, urs is only a m104. these engines are totally differnt

OzC36
01-29-2007, 08:21 PM
The three CAS's I tested were the original one from my car, and two brand new ones.

Good point on the M113 vs M104 engines, but the bad CAS problem is endemic to all the later model Mercedes.

See below for M112/M113 engines:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/M112M113CPS

shogun
02-02-2007, 05:59 AM
Guys,

I just got a call from the MB dealership where I took my car this morning and yes, they replaced the CAS. Cost around $150 + labour. So hopefully this saga has ended for me.

Thanks A LOT for helping me out here!

OzC36
02-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Good to hear that your car is on the mend. Cheers!

MBHustla858
02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by shogun
Guys,

I just got a call from the MB dealership where I took my car this morning and yes, they replaced the CAS. Cost around $150 + labour. So hopefully this saga has ended for me.

Thanks A LOT for helping me out here!

wow thats a bunch of money, its a easy DIY, part should cost around 60 bux

good to hear that its fixed tho

OzC36
02-03-2007, 03:23 AM
To me that is cheap.

It costs $374 Aus dollars for the CAS in Australia plus 1.5 hours labor from MB!

I can now do it myself in 15 minutes after a bit of practice!