PDA

View Full Version : Engine codes, 105, 410, 1519

Delboy
01-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Hello,
I have a 99 C230K with around 67k on it.

My check engine light came on and I plugged in my OBD II scanner, and got the following codes:

P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction

P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

P1519 Idle Air Control Valve Circuit Failure

Any ideas what's broken?

The car does seem underpowered are low-mid revs, and a little jerky. Also, there is a smell after driving it, like maybe the mixture is a little rich.

thank you

jnenad16
01-25-2007, 09:51 AM
check if your supercharger is engaging.

nenad

Delboy
01-25-2007, 09:58 AM
How do I check if the supercharger is engaging? thanks

jnenad16
01-25-2007, 12:38 PM
have someone rev the engine for you while you're looking at the SC pulley. it should be off at idle, but once the engine speed goes up, the pulley should engage.

nenad

xvvvz
01-25-2007, 01:11 PM
If you gently accerate the engine in neutral, you can usually feel the SC kick in within the 1500-2000 rpm range. You will feel a slight torquing of the engine in its mounts kind of like when the air-co compressor kicks in.

Did you check your email?

Delboy
01-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks everyone

I'll try the supercharger check.

I will also try checking the vacuum lines, etc for splits as xvvvz says.

I have reset the codes, but I need to check which one pops up first.

Delboy
01-25-2007, 03:01 PM
I just ran down and tried some stuff.

I can feel the supercharger kick in at 2000rpm, it's pretty subtle, but definately there.

I cleared my codes earlier today, and now I get the following in order:

P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction

P0130 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1, open circuit bef cat right)

P1519 Idle Air Control Valve Circuit Failure

So my 410 turned into a 130.

I have not checked the hoses for leaks yet, won't get a chance to do that until the weekend.

Delboy
01-29-2007, 06:31 AM
Well, checked all the hoses, etc, and to the best of my ability I was not able to find any vacuum leaks, cracks, etc and everything was plugged in correctly.

Cleared the codes again.

After 2 key cycles the codes returned.

Any suggestions?

thanks

jnenad16
01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
well, its something with the emissions system. according to the codes, three related things have an open circuit. either that is true, in which case you need to inspect those parts and reconnect as needed or they have failed. other scenario could be that a common controller is malfuntioning, which in this case would be the ECU (ME), and would need to be replaced. and the most common thing that would trigger related codes could be a vacuum leak, not necessarily from a vacuum line, but there could be a leaky intake manifold gasket or a cracked manifold or a number of other things. you need to inspect everything throughly and rule out all the possibilities with the vacuum before you start replacing the electical parts. if you are still doubtfull about the vacuum leaks, I would suggest you have a intake smoke-out test performed, its a lot like a leak down test for the cylinders, except the smoke is introduced which acts as an indicator for intake leaks.

nenad

Delboy
04-19-2007, 01:08 PM
I decided that I've been driving around too long with the check engine light on, plus I need to get the car smog checked soon.

So on my lunch break I drive down to Mr MB Motors in Tarzana( Enrique is quite a well respected mechanic according to news groups, etc)

Suffice to say, 5 minutes later, he had me fixed up.
He read the codes on his portable machine, told me I had an intake problem, and pulled off the cover on top of the engine near the front of the vehicle, and presto, a severed vacuum line, which he promptly replaced.

I didn't even know that cover could be pulled off!! No wonder I never found the leak.

Certainly pays to find a good mechanic.

thank you all for your diagnosis, which was spot on.