PDA

View Full Version : Replacement of Timing Seal

HRC280
01-30-2007, 10:59 PM
I found out I had an oil leak a couple weeks back and now I finally pinpointed it: the timing cover seal @ head gasket seal.

My question is should I replace the head gasket seal and valve cover seal as well as the timing cover seal? Since I only bought this car about 6 months ago, I am unawe if these were ever replaced before. Service book indicates regular maintanance services were done at a MB shop.

What should I be aware of if it will be a DIY project? Any post I should read up on before doing this or any recomendations?

1994 C280 w/202,000 mi

How many miles can these engines take?

jnenad16
01-31-2007, 12:43 AM
unfortunately, its not an easy DIY task. I wouldnt recommend you doing this yourself if you are not experienced with timing chains. this job takes about 9-10 hrs, mainly because you will need to open the valve cover and loosen the chain tensioner, which will offset the chain's timing. then take off all of the accessories from the front of the engine that are in the way, including the crank pulley(for which you will need a shop duty air compressor and gun). then you will need to extract chain guide pins from the timing cover, for which you will need a special extractor, and at the same time hold the chain guides in place from the top of the engine. then the cover will need to be carefully removed not to rip the oil pan gasket, but its highly recommended that you replace it when taking off the timing cover. keep in mind, the cover does not use a gasket, it uses sealant on the back and a lip seal on the top. after you put it back on, you will need to set the timing on the chain.

nenad

OzC36
01-31-2007, 02:05 AM
As jnenad said, it's a tuff job.

These links might help you make the correct decision for your situation:

https://www.continentalimports.com/ser_ic100345.html

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=147315&highlight=head+gasket

1995c280
01-31-2007, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by HRC280
1994 C280 w/202,000 mi How many miles can these engines take?

just take good care of them and that engine will last forever! i am currently at 295,000 original miles with no major problems currently (knock on wood, haha).

Jason

NISMOPOWERED
01-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Its most likely to seal between the upper and lower timing covers.
If it is just remove the valve cover and front cover, its not to bad.