PDA

View Full Version : Bubbled Block Paint

Kompressor_Dude
02-01-2007, 04:29 AM
I've had my C230K for a few months now and have noticed that the engine block paint has bubbled...... didnt think i was driving it that hard! :confused:

The red patch is ok but the rest is painted grey and has bubbled all over. Has anyone else experienced this? Thinking of having it re-sprayed but wont bother if it's just gonna happen again, also - if i do re-sprray it what's your thoughts on colour? was thinking black block with the red patch, easy to keep looking clean and fits the rest of the engine colour nicely :)

Thanks for any help, i can take pics if needed?! Thin my description's alright though!

matt09
02-01-2007, 04:37 AM
96 C280 with bubbles on grey paint as well.

benzonline
02-01-2007, 04:53 AM
I have something that appeared on the block aswell. Some bubbling and on one part it looks like something spread with a spatula....almost looks like a cake and you spread the icing on top but a bit too much was applied:)

Kompressor_Dude
02-01-2007, 05:45 AM
hmmm, looks like MB have been skimping on the heat proof paint!

Might get some and do it myself, see how it looks. Im gonna do the brake callipers (undecided as to red or black) so might do block at the same time :)

Sick of my engine bay looking so dull, 2.3L Supercharged engine sound like it'd be much more impressive than it looks so im on a mission to make it a bit smarter........ any tips? :rolleyes:

benzonline
02-01-2007, 07:50 AM
If I could only get it to sound quieter/better.:p

xvvvz
02-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Unfortunately the bubbling appears to be pretty common. You see it in most pictures of engines that people post on the various forums.

blind26
02-01-2007, 09:28 AM
It's pretty common.

The two M104 blocks that we built up did the same thing. Something about the iron block and the paint that MB used on them.

What we did was on the affected spots, scrape off all the bubbled paint and hit it with rust resolver. (the paint that turns rust into a hard 'primer') After we got a good, sealed base to work with, we hit it with low-gloss black high heat engine paint.

So far, we have had no issues with bubbling again. (Roughly 2-3k miles on one of the blocks that were treated)

lewda
02-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by benzonline
I have something that appeared on the block aswell. Some bubbling and on one part it looks like something spread with a spatula....almost looks like a cake and you spread the icing on top but a bit too much was applied:)

ha, exactly what mine looks like