PDA

View Full Version : Component vs. coaxial front speakers.

Denlasoul
02-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Looking to upgrade my front speakers and was wondering which of the two choices (component or coaxial) do you guys think is better and why.

I was thinking about component speakers and am curious if these are really my best choice. I like the notion of components and that separation of the highs and mids, but it is most likely that I would install the tweeters in the stock location. What are your opinions on sound quality and placement of the stock tweeters? Would a simple component upgrade make a big difference or does the stock placement void out quality? If so, would it be better to just install a coaxial speaker in the door panel and nix the dash tweeters? Would there be a significant sound difference between the stock component vs. new component in OEM location vs coaxial?

Thoughts?

OCKlasse
02-01-2007, 05:25 PM
There is NO COMPARISON between components and coaxial. Ideally, three way components would be the best, but I don't know if there is enough room to work with to make them fit in our doors. I also suggest D/L/S, Focal, or Dynaudio for good component speakers :)

audiophile
02-01-2007, 06:47 PM
like OCklasse said the componets are better. as far as placing the tweet in the stock location it's very easily done.
as far as sq goes the stock speakers suck. a good qualty aftermarket will defintely sound better and last you alot longer.
good thing about a good component sys, is that you can add an amp, and the speakers will work great with that.

when picking brands, don't buy the first one you listen too. go around listen to some differnt ones and which ever one appeals to your taste is the one you should go with.
after you have an idea of what you want i would recommend going on ebay and buying on there. there a ton cheaper
:D
good luck;)

Benzon
02-01-2007, 06:51 PM
I would say even off axis comp's would be a lot better than coax's. I recommend getting some MB Quart's, Excellent sound and can be mounted as either Coax or Comp's so you could test both, and there not too expensive.

Proven Guilty
02-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Well, my personal opinion - You would almost be better going with coaxials in the stock locations. The stock locations have a small enclosure that really does help to improve the overall soundno matter what you put into there, and would provide the best bang for the buck.

The reason I wouldn't go with components if you plan to install everything in a stock location; they generally have a crossover frequency set specifically to cut all low and mid out of the tweeter. when you pull the tweeters too far away (more than 12 inches) from the midbass woofer, the sound in my opinion becomes too separated, and "tinny"

My recommendation would be to replace the stock locations (at least, the dash tweets if you don't feel you need the door speakers replaced with kick pods) to raise the sound stage with decent low-cost speakers, and install higher end components in kick pods if you're after that high end sound.

This would allow you to run power hungry component speakers off an external amp, and the upgraded stock locations off the head unit's internal amp. You can always adjust the power output to the components to be higher than the stock locations so they are dominant when you turn the music up, and the stock locations while used conservatively will just provide a fuller sound and ambience to the rear-seat passengers.

benzonline
02-01-2007, 08:29 PM
I heard coaxials before and agree components are better. Even if you study the stock setup its actually a component system, although not as good.

With the dash tweeters they arent bad but what I realized when I seen a diagram of them once is...they are CROSS FIRING and arent even pointing to the passenger/driver so they arent as present. It sets up more of a "concert" soundstage.

A friend in a old C220 put a set of coaxial Clarion speakers in the front doors and it improved alot.

Denlasoul
02-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

Reason why I considered coax is that the stock locations seem to be in bad locations, particularly the tweets. I do know that components sound better, but was not sure if the stock mounting locations would negate the quality as opposed to the coaxes.

I do intend on buying higher quality speakers and driving them with a fair amount of power, and my HU has been impressive to me so far. So my main objective would be to not lose quality.

I'll think about it for a bit.

btw, I will replace all the door speakers and possibly add some mid-bass to the rear deck (this part is still undecided). Probably a sub too......maybe. ;)

C280Rookie
02-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am also considering replacing my stock speakers with coaxials.
With a Bose system, is it true stock speakers are 2-ohms? If so, I think only Infinity Kappas are 2-ohm rated, right?
Denlasoul, do you know what size stock speakers do we have?
Thanks.

Denlasoul
02-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by C280Rookie
Denlasoul, do you know what size stock speakers do we have?
Thanks.
You should be able to find the answers in these Threads: (http://www.club202.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=219378&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

C280Rookie
02-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
You should be able to find the answers in these Threads: (http://www.club202.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=219378&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

Thanks.

Earlier I tried the search and somehow the website asked me to login a few times.

C280/////AMG
03-01-2007, 04:52 AM
I've battled with this very problem, have spent months fitting and removing speakers and have come to a conclusion...LEAVE THE STANDARD ONES IN...
I bought a set of Hertz component speakers, fitted them, and they sounded worse than standard (by the way i'm running them from my amp so i'm cutting out all the low frequencies to save the speakers). i then swapped the Hertz for a set of Rockford Fosgate component system and they too sounded worse than standard!! The trebble was great but the mit range sounded very dull and tinny.
I found out that the standard speaker has that unique housing that somehow affects the acoustics and makes the mid range speaker produce a fuller sound. so unless you build a similar housing for your new custom speaker, you'll be disappointed.
i bought a new set of front mid range and tweeter speakers from the Mercedes dealership (they're apparently made by Nokia) and i'm running them through my amp, cutting out the low frequencies, and i've had nothing but compliments about how full my sound system sounds... If i had to change anything, (my next step) i would replace the standard tweeter with a Boston Acoustics tweeter. the mid range is perfect and you don't want to tamper with it...

Regarding the coaxial speaker layout vs the 'split' layout, it essentially depends where you would rather have the sound coming from... i prefer to have my vocals and higher frequencies coming from the windscreen area, not from the foot well!!!

benzonline
07-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by C280/////AMG
I've battled with this very problem, have spent months fitting and removing speakers and have come to a conclusion...LEAVE THE STANDARD ONES IN...
I bought a set of Hertz component speakers, fitted them, and they sounded worse than standard (by the way i'm running them from my amp so i'm cutting out all the low frequencies to save the speakers). i then swapped the Hertz for a set of Rockford Fosgate component system and they too sounded worse than standard!! The trebble was great but the mit range sounded very dull and tinny.
I found out that the standard speaker has that unique housing that somehow affects the acoustics and makes the mid range speaker produce a fuller sound. so unless you build a similar housing for your new custom speaker, you'll be disappointed.
i bought a new set of front mid range and tweeter speakers from the Mercedes dealership (they're apparently made by Nokia) and i'm running them through my amp, cutting out the low frequencies, and i've had nothing but compliments about how full my sound system sounds... If i had to change anything, (my next step) i would replace the standard tweeter with a Boston Acoustics tweeter. the mid range is perfect and you don't want to tamper with it...

Regarding the coaxial speaker layout vs the 'split' layout, it essentially depends where you would rather have the sound coming from... i prefer to have my vocals and higher frequencies coming from the windscreen area, not from the foot well!!!

Came across this post again. My friend with his non-bose C220 has done the same...fitted this speaker and that speaker only to gain some clarity but lose "warmth" and midrange to the stock paper crap which he thinks he will put back in. Is this what you meant aswell?