PDA

View Full Version : Research.

Benzon
02-05-2007, 06:10 AM
What kind of power can I run off the stock system with no issues whatsoever.
1500wRMS total, 500wRMS total?

What are you guys running in your cars and how does it affect your electrical system?

I'm planning on running either

2 500wRMS Soundstream Rubicon Class A's

Class A Soundtream Picasso 75x4ish, Pushing 2 10" subs and 4 component speakers. Also would like to be able to run HID's.

Or instead of the Rubicons a Mono Class D Memphis MC1000D.

What have been your experiences with running your set-ups?

BTW 2000 MBZ C230 Kompressor.

benzonline
02-05-2007, 09:04 AM
My 400Watt RMS amp driving a 12" sub in the trunk under MAX volume has the power to dim the lights slightly when the beat hits. Very common in any car but its nothing major at all compared to other cars I seen and how they dim.

1SIKBNZ
02-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Just get a cap...

Proven Guilty
02-05-2007, 09:56 AM
One of the best caps I've ever used were the AlumaPro "Cap" 5-farad you can find used for around $125 on ebay. Without getting into specifics, it simply delivers the most consistant power during peak useage that I've seen for the money.

I would stick with Class-A over the Class-D any day of the week. The reason being is unclipped, undistorted, flawlessly clean delivery of power. Class-A amps do not shut off the power supply, whereas a Class-D amp turns on/off in a way for delivery to maintain lower tempuratures and efficiency.

Keep in mind, the old school Soundstream amps (while still made in the US) were some of the most under-rated amps on the market. They always listed their power output at a flat 11.9volts, versus most cars can put out as high as 14.4v while the car is running and being operated. The amount of power output the amps are capable of with that small boost of voltage is like night and day difference, and they would be delivering every bit of 500watts RMS and up.

Accept no substitute :D

audiophile
02-05-2007, 05:19 PM
when installing a high powerd system like your talking about you have to take into account how much total current you will be driving. the stock alternator is only desgined for things already on the vehicle. sure you can get away with some power but anything ridiculous is just out of the question. a cap will help some but getting a better battery and upgrading the alternator would be wise.;)

Benzon
02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Is there a alt out there that is worth it, IE putting out more at idle not jsut at 3000RPM? And what is the price on one. I really wanted to avoid getting a new alt, but I guess I'll have to.

Maybe stick to around 1000wRMS and a cap be ok?

jnolte
02-05-2007, 06:32 PM
I have a 1000 watt RMS Hifonics amp with a 1 farad rockford fosgate digital amp. It works pretty well, i do get some dim of the dash lights during heavy basslines not bad though

Markland556
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
My current setup:
JL Audio 1000/1 amp
MTX 9500
(4) Infinity 6 1/4 Refrence speakers
Pheniox Gold Octane R 400w amp
Upgraded 140/110 amp alternator

Bi-Xenon headlights
Xenon foglights

no power issues for me..

Benzon
02-06-2007, 05:53 AM
And that alt doesn't require a shorter belt and still puts out enough when stopped at a red light? Where did you get this alt from?

benzonline
02-06-2007, 06:24 AM
So, if I get a CAP with m 400W Rms with 12" sub using the stock alternator etc would it help the sound of the sub aswell? In what terms if so? The shop would wire up the cap for me but are they exspensive and how does it wire?

Sorry, this part of car audio im not familiar with.:(

Benzon
02-07-2007, 03:30 AM
I read in some review that the the Carbon type of capacitors were not as good as the electrolyte type. The AlumaPro is a carbon. Something about they don't discharge as fast and are more expensive, Bu t I guess if your running more cap than you need 5F to a 1500wRMS then you can afford a slow discharge as there will be plenty of juice?

audiophile
02-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by benzonline
So, if I get a CAP with m 400W Rms with 12" sub using the stock alternator etc would it help the sound of the sub aswell? In what terms if so? The shop would wire up the cap for me but are they exspensive and how does it wire?

Sorry, this part of car audio im not familiar with.:(
that should be fine. make sure the cap is as close to the amp as possible.