PDA

View Full Version : My sister wants HID on the 202. What she need?

Dr. ///AMG
08-21-2003, 02:17 AM
How can she do it, how much, what is needed. Help her out yo :)

ty

714guy
08-21-2003, 07:00 AM
just snatch an HID kit, usually around 300 - 500 bucks depending on which one you want. ( 4300k - 8000K). the installation is just plug a play and just have to mount the litlle black box. :)

If she has DRL then i would try to disengage it, b/c most after market kits aren't meant to be left on all the time, and could cause the bulb to burn out rather quickly. ;)

nokia8860
08-21-2003, 07:32 AM
OEM is the only way to go. Why? Prevents glare for one. Halogen housings can not correctly shap the xenon light. How much for a Oem depends on where you go...

Dealer is like 1200 a headlight not included bulbs and you will have to purchase the ballast as well, around 300 each.

German MB store where steve and I bought ours. 1000 for a pair of headlights not including the ballast, so back to the dealer you go. But at least this one comes with bulbs.

Bekkers 1000 for the whole deal. Headlight, bulbs, ballast. I believe that is where J Irwan got his kit.

So best bet for you is to call you salesguy at bekkers. Trust me you will thank yourself you got oem.

kameraguy
08-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Listen to Joey on this one. If there's a title for Mr. HID, he should have it!

He has done it all, going through the aftermarket route to avoid the OEM co$t, but in the end, he ends up with OEM. And spent a whole lot more in the process, rather than if he just went OEM from the get-go.

Now I am following in his footsteps...literally.

First i wanted HID for my car, so i bought his Philips system. Found that to blind the heck out of everyone, and VERY hard to control regardless of tweaking the beam. So Nokia swaps out my US glass for Euro E-code glass (his as well). Now i have better light dispersion, but it's a damn mess compared to his OEM.

The OEM is a night and day difference. The light is uniform, with perfect even illumination, and the cut to the sides is well defined.

Viewed from front, it's obvious the OEMs are the best way to go.

The aftermarket units are a nice "quick fix" HID look, but if you want something that will really give better light output with no hassles, OEM is the way to go.

Nokia, where are the comparison pics we had a while back? :)

pnsji
08-21-2003, 10:55 AM
errrr
appreciating people who worked on her car?????

Dr. ///AMG
08-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by pnsji
errrr
appreciating people who worked on her car?????
Awww....

well..she said you're cute. She wanted to give you a hug and all, but with your Indo girlfriend nearby, she feared retaliations in the form of machete madness from her, so she opted not to. :P

OEM is the way to go then! :)

William420
08-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Yup Bekkers.... Man, your sis is getting crazy. With all the mods she's doing, you never know one day she might outpimp you. :D

http://www.fototime.com/A758E61F52C4722/standard.jpg

Ace
08-22-2003, 10:17 AM
What exactly is the difference between OEM and
getting HID's with a set of euro clear lenses?http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BI&Product_Code=EuroRepLights5&Category_Code=mplight

dwang
08-22-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Ace
What exactly is the difference between OEM and
getting HID's with a set of euro clear lenses

Beam pattern. OEM HIDs lenses will correctly reflect the xenon arc beam pattern so that it does not blind on coming traffic. Stray light is kept to a minimum.

Dave

Ace
08-22-2003, 12:13 PM
So does upgrading to euro lenses not correct beam pattern at all,
What is the point of purchsing euro lenses then from bekkers?

nokia8860
08-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Ace
So does upgrading to euro lenses not correct beam pattern at all,
What is the point of purchsing euro lenses then from bekkers?

That is the link to euro halogen lights

This is the link to Xenon headlights

here (http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BI&Product_Code=030108&Category_Code=mhlightcclass)

JRE320
08-22-2003, 07:06 PM
I'm lost on this one. I got the Bekkers Euro headlight and is that the reason why I'm having a hard time aligning it coz of the lense?
Do I need to replace the lenses with the OEM lenses?

nokia8860
08-22-2003, 08:25 PM
I'll try to clear up some of the mixup. There are 3 types of headlights units (not lens thats afterwards when a rock hits them) that are available to purchase from bekkers.

1 US DOT Spec Headlight:

For obvious reasons this is what your car has on right now (USA car speaking) so you would only buy a replacement lens if you break yours.

2. E-Code Not DOT Spec Headlight:

European standard halogen lights. Not DOT spec because well.... its not legal for the usa.

3. Xenon Not DOT:

This is the lights that make night into day. And the reflector is shaped totally different than both 1 and 2. On bekkers they say Eurospec but dont confuse this with number 2. They are saying eurospec cuz they mostlikely imported it from germany. So hence euro spec. I wont get into the whole there is no such thing as eurospec xenon debate. Thats another post.

Jun, your Ecodes are the old style how far up are you able to aim it before it blinds?

MBenzNL
08-23-2003, 05:39 AM
OEM Xenon is the only way to go...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDPAtAVoSEuNqkoUcJrzClICZmqfQIFJ8oblj39o4EqUtGwB XkboqBafFVsB3VuhlJXQePZmn6BXPgiauV9J7L9qUsEPRrI9tE 66L0xYOU/xenonlight01.jpg?dc=4675404803476143991

I heard that Koolvin recently had xenons installed in his C180 as well :cool: ...

Mike, depending on what your sis wants...I do have a set of new OEM MB W202 xenon headlights lying around...with modified audi ballast units...that can be installed at the OEM spots (after 1 of the 2 brackets has been modified)...

greetingz,

Brabus
08-23-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by William420
Yup Bekkers.... Man, your sis is getting crazy. With all the mods she's doing, you never know one day she might outpimp you. :D

Too late :p

slk320
08-23-2003, 11:25 AM
I like blinding people... so I have my HID installed in stock halogen housing... :(

Knowing that Mike and his sister are junior ballers on a budget I would guess that they are not going to spend 1500 on lHID... more like 300-400 on balasts in stock housing to "get the look";)

If I had to do it over again I would get Euro spec HID housing for my car...

J Irwan
08-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by slk320

If I had to do it over again I would get Euro spec HID housing for my car...

The Bosch Xenon headlight that I got from bekker is Euro Spec Xenon headlight..

It has vacuum headlight adjuter motor on it.. :D:D:D

That's why I have these :D:D:D

so I can use the vacum motor up to some use :p

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwDTAlgVdAAh7qeC7tjtvRyZm4zLZcJhj0yTLJNSaCdre6t1O 8LSMdRor019Uciui0Du6vEnEFXYzxVrVNl*CJN7pOlfvR!DLa! ET1TByypYT8yGjKx9Iw/107-0704_IMG.JPG

Regardz,

Ashkan's C280
03-20-2005, 10:58 AM
old thread, but how much did it cost to get the vac motor and city lights stuff done, where you can level it from inside the the car? and correct me if I am wrong, but bekkers takes off the mercedes symbol right? I remember my clear corners I bought from them had it burned off...

jnenad16
03-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
but bekkers takes off the mercedes symbol right? I remember my clear corners I bought from them had it burned off...

thats because its an aftermarket item. otherwise, they would get sued my MB because the logo and the part number were left intact while the part is being sold as aftermarket.

nenad

mr. gatsbury
03-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by MBenzNL
OEM Xenon is the only way to go...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDPAtAVoSEuNqkoUcJrzClICZmqfQIFJ8oblj39o4EqUtGwB XkboqBafFVsB3VuhlJXQePZmn6BXPgiauV9J7L9qUsEPRrI9tE 66L0xYOU/xenonlight01.jpg?dc=4675404803476143991

I heard that Koolvin recently had xenons installed in his C180 as well :cool: ...

Mike, depending on what your sis wants...I do have a set of new OEM MB W202 xenon headlights lying around...with modified audi ballast units...that can be installed at the OEM spots (after 1 of the 2 brackets has been modified)...

greetingz,

see, the blue is nice but with the white it doesn't look so hot. Are there other bulbs to put in to change out the white ones too?

J Irwan
03-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by mr. gatsbury
see, the blue is nice but with the white it doesn't look so hot. Are there other bulbs to put in to change out the white ones too?

That picture that Steve (MBenzNL) showed

at the time has the low beam (HID/Xenon), driving-foglight (not the bumper fog light) and the highbeam on at the same time.

Otherwise it's all blueish hue color...

Regardz,

J Irwan
03-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Here is mine with just the Low-Beam (HID/Xenon) and the bumper foglight... on...

http://www.onfinite.three10.com/libraries/38410/8c5.jpg

Regardz,

mr. gatsbury
03-25-2005, 11:31 AM
J,

Those are OEM rigt? I guess you can't put an hid light in for the healight fog? Where's a good place to get em'? How much? I heard someone say 2kish before I think...

John

J Irwan
03-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by mr. gatsbury
J,

Those are OEM rigt? I guess you can't put an hid light in for the healight fog? Where's a good place to get em'? How much? I heard someone say 2kish before I think...

John

John I bought mine at Bekker Import. (http://www.bekkers.com)

Regardz,