PDA

View Full Version : blown speaker???

Nitrogenbalance
02-20-2007, 04:04 AM
Ok, so I know very little about car audio stuff and was wondering about one of my front door speakers. I've installed a JVC dvd head unit this summer and everything seemed to be fine. This fall I would sometimes hear a little stactic or crackling from this speaker. What was strange is that I would hear this regardless of volume. I now have the dash taken apart for work with the HU removed. The other day when the car was running without any HU it still made the noise like static or crakling or something?? ANy ideas??

Benzon
02-20-2007, 07:27 AM
Bad connection? Just take of the cover and look at it, usually can see if its got a torn surround.

Denlasoul
02-20-2007, 08:26 AM
How did you connect the HU to the car? Are you using the stock amp?

If so and you did not wire in a high-lo converter, then that may be a cause in the static. I installed my HU without the converter and it sounded like you described. After putting in a converter sound was much better with no static.

Search: "Nakamichi" to get some of the details of the line converter and install procedures.

Nitrogenbalance
02-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
How did you connect the HU to the car? Are you using the stock amp?

If so and you did not wire in a high-lo converter, then that may be a cause in the static. I installed my HU without the converter and it sounded like you described. After putting in a converter sound was much better with no static.

Search: "Nakamichi" to get some of the details of the line converter and install procedures.

I used your post to install the HU(thanks) and I do remember the high low thing. However, the reason I wonder is because the HU is now uncliped and it still made the noise when the car was running. Without an HU installed would the amp possibly pick up a signal and make this noise also?

benzonline
02-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Bose or not?

Denlasoul
02-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Nitrogenbalance
I used your post to install the HU(thanks) and I do remember the high low thing. However, the reason I wonder is because the HU is now uncliped and it still made the noise when the car was running. Without an HU installed would the amp possibly pick up a signal and make this noise also?
I would believe that picking up amp noise is possible. Try disconnecting the amp?

Nitrogenbalance
02-21-2007, 04:54 AM
Thanks guys. Yes it is a bose system. I'm gonna plug in my stock HU next time I go by the garage. I figure this will tell me if it's the speaker or a signal issue.

Glad I took the advice of making a clip rather than cutting and soldering. Easy to switch out HU's .

Denlasoul
02-21-2007, 07:54 AM
I was thinking more about it, and do you still have the phone hooked up? Not necessarily working, but the wires and such still conntected or left unconnected (not plugged in but laying around)? I ask b/c the phone was tapped into the speaker system for hands free system and that might be another area to look into.

Benzon
02-21-2007, 04:31 PM
I thought the phone speaker was on the passenger side front right not linked to the other speakers?

Nitrogenbalance
04-13-2007, 04:30 AM
Ok, progress with this idea.

The speaker still makes the static crackling noise every minute or so during use. It's faint, and if the volume is up you don't always notice it.

The reason I posted this again is that last night I was taping(not neccesarily clicking on but just tapping a little) the overhead console light buttons. When tapping these a little the static noise would happen......whats the link between this? I'm sure electrically the overhead console lights are linked somehow, but how does just tapping/rattling the buttons make the static show up??

benzonline
04-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Perhaps its the Bose amp? I heard a crackling while playing a cd the other day on the left front door side but just for a bit then stopped.

Nitrogenbalance
04-27-2007, 04:48 AM
OK, so yesterday with the radio off I still heard this annoying crackling noise from the front passanger speaker. I even poped out the HU and unpluged it. The sound was still there???

Think it could be the magnacore wires??? I thought I heard this somewhere once.

Next test will be to see if the static happens when the car is running or when the key is turned to accessory.....odd.

pnsji
04-27-2007, 08:20 AM
try checking the grounding of the amp.
make sure it has good contact.

also when you test, make sure you tape the connector, so that there are no magnetic field that can affect the noise.