PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Cluster Mileage

greenphant
02-22-2007, 08:17 AM
I bought a "new" used instrument panel, because my original one threw a code for faulty instrument panel. Does anyone know if the mileage is saved in the digital odometer itself, or does the vehicle computer tell it what to display?

It's not a serious issue since the new one had 97k on it and my car has 124k, but I would prefer to have it accurate. I didn't find any conclusive threads, so if anyone can help or point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Also - does anyone know of the best place to get chrome instrument cluster rings? I figure since I'm in there.....

mgill3
02-22-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure about the cluster, but i found chrome gauge rings for mine on eBay.. the seller was Eurosport Garage, and here's a link to their eBay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/Eurosport-Garage

Depending on the year of your car, make sure you get the correct ones. I accidently ordered the 95-00 rings, when in reality my car was considered a 93-94.5 and i have the ROUND center ring, not the odd shaped one in the later cars.

They've got both sets in stock depending on your year, just search for W202 rings.

Mine are pretty nice plastic, they feel durable, so i think they're pretty good quality. I haven't installed them yet but i'll have to tear into my cluster soon to fix a couple of bulbs and install them while i'm at it.

Good luck

Edit: Oh, and if you want chrome, make sure you order CHROME rings, they also sell silver ones which look similar at first glance. And it doesn't look like they have chrome ones for the 95-00 cars, i'd e-mail them and ask to see if there are any in stock. (Assuming those are probably the ones you want unless you have one of the small numbered 93-94.5 cars like mine)

DRM
02-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by greenphant
I bought a "new" used instrument panel, because my original one threw a code for faulty instrument panel. Does anyone know if the mileage is saved in the digital odometer itself, or does the vehicle computer tell it what to display?

It's not a serious issue since the new one had 97k on it and my car has 124k, but I would prefer to have it accurate. I didn't find any conclusive threads, so if anyone can help or point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Also - does anyone know of the best place to get chrome instrument cluster rings? I figure since I'm in there.....

The cluster will display the mileage from the original car the cluster was removed from. I don't know what the legal issues are in your country but here it is illegal to alter mileage. I think it would also affect your resale value.

Maybe you can get a Mercedes dealer to install your cluster and get them to write on your service book that they changed the cluster to a different one at 97,000 kms to 124,000 kms.

NEA-4311
02-23-2007, 02:00 AM
Yeah the miles are stored inside the ECU i think... But thats what you wanted, to show the real mileage in your car. So dont worry and go buy yourself those rings.

Abuimad
02-23-2007, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by NEA-4311
Yeah the miles are stored inside the ECU i think... But thats what you wanted, to show the real mileage in your car. So dont worry and go buy yourself those rings.

are you sure its inside the ECU, i thought it was stored in the cluster....and get those rings man, it makes the car look a lot better..it really makes the cluster look sporty and fun to look at

NEA-4311
02-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Well I once asked the same thing and I got that answer, never really tried to find out about it myself. So there.

Proven Guilty
02-23-2007, 12:04 PM
i can confirm that the mileage is stored inside a module in the cluster, and can be reprogrammed using a star diag. as far as any other way to program, i'm not sure.

some cars also store milage inside of a transmission module so you can compare mileage of the odometer to mileage of the transmission for the mileage fraud regulations (people think theyre stlick pulling fuses in lease cars to get the miles to stop, and get busted from that all the time)

i cannot confirm if mileage is stored for the transmission as well.

BMW04E46
08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
oh boy, this is scaring me, i bought a used 1997 c280 sport, the car fax says roughly 23,000 were put on it within the first 3 years, and then only roughly 13,000 for 6 years...

I bought it 6-2006 with 36,000 miles

Steven

Alps
08-07-2008, 07:40 AM
milage is stored in both ECU and cluster seperately. Dealer will not be able to alter milage on the used cluster, but there are many people around who have the software to do this. do a search on "milage correction" on google.

ECU milage is uneffected.

autoxpresstech
05-01-2012, 11:43 AM
The cluster will display the mileage from the original car the cluster was removed from. I don't know what the legal issues are in your country but here it is illegal to alter mileage. I think it would also affect your resale value.

Maybe you can get a Mercedes dealer to install your cluster and get them to write on your service book that they changed the cluster to a different one at 97,000 kms to 124,000 kms.
Correct. Mileage is stores in the cluster in the late 1990 early 2000 era clusters. I can do mileage correction but you would need to send your cluster to me. I would also test and repair any bulbs out, any custom work extra, rings,,, I'd pop in for free with any repair.