View Full Version : AC recharging

timmyj51
02-24-2007, 07:03 AM
What exactly's involved with recharging the AC system ( low
freon level)?
Is it something a DIYer can do?

Nelson Lago
02-24-2007, 01:18 PM
You can do your own A/C recharg if you go to like a auto zone pep boys or advance auto just get a recharg kit they should know what your talking and they will explain it....... but i have 2 things to ask you 1 is what year is the car and the 2 one isyou shold get it done at a auto shop because thay can put a vacume on the system and that make your ac colder and better

714guy
02-25-2007, 07:18 AM
just bring it to a shop. my local independent MB shop charges only $90 to fill up my C280 from empty.

I've tried doing it myself and its really hard, you need a vacuum so that it pulls in the freon at least for our cars. Its also very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

timmyj51
02-25-2007, 09:45 AM
"1 is what year is the car and the 2 one isyou shold get it done at a auto shop because thay can put a vacume on the system and that make your ac colder and better"

It's a '95 C220. Looks like I'd be better advised to take it to a
mechanic. Can any independent mechanic do it or does it
require specialized equipment only a dealer has?

Nelson Lago
02-25-2007, 10:11 AM
AHH any Mechanic should do fine if thay have a recovery mechine

roundeler
03-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Tools you need:

vacuum pump
hi/lo gauge
r134A

I usually hook up my vacuum pump to my air compressor that can barely handle the needed 30psi vacuum to evacuate the system. This is only after you have had the remaining air conditioning chemicals recovered by a shop!

Then I use the gauges that you can get from ATD and pump in the right amount of R134A and oil.

It is more complicated than this, but just dont ever and i mean ever use the death kits, that seal any leaks, the polymers will ruin bearings. How do i know? My dad has a patent on some chemicals and the copper bearing go to hell over time in industrial units. His company never profited from these patents.

-Mark