PDA

View Full Version : Capacitor help

RemoLexi
03-02-2007, 12:05 PM
I got this 1 farad cap. sitting here.

what would the purpose of it be if i run it with my 2 10" JBL's ?

and also if theres a positive side to having one of these installed ... how do I install it ?

Proven Guilty
03-02-2007, 12:09 PM
it basically ties into the power circuit for your amp. it's like having a separate battery for your amp the recharges much more quickly; allowing smoother power for the rest of the components in your car, and the most consistant current for your amp to the subs.

you would typically notice improvement in sound quality, and power to the subs. also helps to reduce the dimming of your lights while sitting at a red light, every time the bass hits :D

they're pretty plug-n-play. i don't see why you would need a professional installation for it. 1 farad won't make a huge world of difference though, but it'll certainly help.

RemoLexi
03-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks! great Info!

Im not running alot of Bass maybe under 250RMS.

So I see if has a positive side and a negitive side how do i wire this up ?

PS, Proven I sent you a PM about the Rims/tires .. just waiting on your reply :)

bish0p
03-02-2007, 12:41 PM
I have a 4 farad cap for my system. It's pretty simple to hook it up. but there are several important things you need to know when hooking it up. You have to charge it before you hook it up. The cap should've came with a charging kit. usually it's just a little light bulb that would regulate the amount of electricity coming into the cap so it's slower and doesnt blow on you, it's a resistor. Also if i remember correctly the cap shouldn't be more than 18 inches from your amp. Proven guilty is right, it keeps your car lights from dimming. For instance when your subs kick they drain more power in that instance and the cap pumps out juice for it quick so it keeps everything else constant. hope that helps

RemoLexi
03-02-2007, 01:03 PM
ya ... I got it for free .. so its just here no charging kit :(

Proven Guilty
03-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by RemoLexi
ya ... I got it for free .. so its just here no charging kit :(

if it was free, there's a good chance it was used at some point. i would install it and let it feed off the alternator before putting it in series with the amp.

as far as the install, it varies from cap to cap. some have you install it before the fuse, some after. you basically hook the positive and negative to the battery in the trunk, and then piggy the amp off the cap. check the manufacturer's website, as 9/10 times they'll have the original owner's manual with install instructions available in .pdf format.

RemoLexi
03-02-2007, 02:21 PM
so the hot wire from the battery goes to the CAP > then to the AMP ?

same with the ground or do i ground it directly to the battery ?

yea Ill see how much its really worth.

Proven Guilty
03-02-2007, 03:41 PM
installation can differ from cap to cap. check with the manufacturer before trying to install it, but i woudn't pay a shop to install it with how simple it is.

bish0p
03-03-2007, 01:03 AM
you connect the ground to somewhere on the chasis. don't ground it to the battery. and if you dont have a charger, all you really need is something to transfer the power slowly. I myself lost my charger and used a 12volt computer fan to charge it. The fan will spin when it's charging and will slow down. when it completely stops that means it's done charging now you hook it up directly to the battery.