PDA

View Full Version : Start and Die

rman
03-02-2007, 03:58 PM
past 2 days my car has died immediately after starting.

here's what I have noticed:
-it happens in the day, after i've driven a considerable amount.
-i'll start it, and it dies immediately - 5 or 6 times in a row
-if i gas it, it'll struggle a bit, then rev, but bog down and die once i let off
-Once I get her running it's a bit rough.

Anyone knwo what this is? I read up on the CPS but i'm not too sure this is it, it's not stalling and then refusing to fire up - which is the symptom everyone has described.

THe one post I found with this problem did not have any responses other than fouled plugs - which i think would be a problem 100% of the time and not just at certain times.

Hopefully someone can lend some knowledge on this issue b/c I am wanting to sell/trade this car very, very soon and would like to fix it before doing so rather than just dumping a burden on someone.

-rman

OCKlasse
03-02-2007, 04:06 PM
I would have guessed CPS

rman
03-02-2007, 05:46 PM
hmmmm....is there a specific code for CPS? a few weeks after changing the MAF the CEL came back on. ALthough changing the MAF made the car run like new, now it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

vinnie201
03-02-2007, 08:13 PM
kinda sounds like emissions related to me if car is warm when problem starts, maybe cat is clogged?? just some ideas...

rman
03-03-2007, 07:58 AM
perhaps a vacuum leak? rubber expanding when it's hot? but i would imagine it giving me more problems than what it is

black96benz
03-03-2007, 03:04 PM
that or something like it has happened to my car twice. both times I replaced the 30 amp fuse on the fuel pump relay in the trunk, its green, and it started right up. its easy and definatley worth a try.

rman
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
btt

Anyone have any ideas? it did it again today, i held the gas like choke does in the morning and kept it alive, but i'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Anyone else have a similar problem. It's running rougher and i think it may be pinging when warm, but haven't come to that conclusion yet.

So far i've thought of fuel filter and dirty fuel system....i dunno....

Pinmaniac
03-06-2007, 05:58 AM
I picked up my C280 just over a month ago. It would run fine for about 10-15 minutes then would backfire and not rev at all. After replacing fuel filter, plugs, flushing fuel lines I had the CPS changed. There was never a code stored or any indication from the computer that there was a problem. It turned out that the CPS was just starting to fail. As the CPS heated up it would cease working. The fact that you said your problems start after driving for a while is what makes me thing it may be a CPS for you as well. FWIW my tech said they hadn't seen the symptoms my car was showing for a CPS before.