PDA

View Full Version : Taking off emblems

bc24
08-23-2003, 10:56 AM
Hey, I wanna take the emblems off the back of my car that read C280. I want to leave the star. Does anyone know the best way to do this without scratching the paint. A hair dryer and then a screw driver? Thanks for the help!

98_Benzo
08-23-2003, 11:09 AM
Use the screwdriver very lightly and just get the emblems up high enough that you can put your fingers under them. Once you get a finger under them, just pull them off. Then go to an auto parts supply store and get some Bug & Tar remover and that will get rid of the excess sticky stuff. Hope that helps ya!!!

slk320
08-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Take dental floss, midium width and take about a foot length, and begin by placing the floss under one side of the emblem, than slowly begin to rub the floss against the emblem backing. Friction, combined with heat and the wax of the floss will go right through the glue backing of the emblem, leaving mostly glue residue and perhaps some blakc pieces of the backing material.

After you take off the emblem, go ahead and clean up the surface and remove glue resideue and any partially left behind backing mateiral by applying a fair amount of "Goo Gone" or other adhesive removers. Test these carefuly to make sure that your paint does not have a reaction to the adhesive remover. I have had sucess with "Good Gone" or "No Gunk" products.

Hope that heps

SLAMMED_C
08-23-2003, 09:21 PM
I used a heatgun and lighter fluid when taking off my lettering.
use the heatgun to heat up the double sided tape, then careful with a screwdriver.. best bet is preferably not a screwdriver.. just in case u slip and scrath ur trunk lid!! use something made of hard plastic! and ply up the letter while putting heat to it, then once up enough grab a hold of it and pull it off.. there is less residue to clean up.. then use the lighter fluid and paper towel to clean off the residue.. the lighter fluid will not damage ur paint finish at all and remove the lighter fluid mint! then use a bit of rubbing compound and then wax. u wont be able to tel there was a letter there!!
hope this helps.. good luck.

CKlasse
08-23-2003, 09:26 PM
I used Dental Floss and GOO OFF. :)

bc24
08-23-2003, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the help. I totally forgot about the dental floss method!

Denlasoul
08-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Dental Floss and Adhesive remover. I could help you out.

D

marksbenz
09-03-2003, 08:51 PM
i removed my trunk emblem and the left over glue stuff is hard to remove. Ive tryed using lighter fluid and goof off with no success. Pls help my trunk looks ugly now with all the left over glue. I dont know what to try next. The glue is so hard i cant remove it with my nails. Im thinking of using a laquer thinner.

CKlasse
09-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by marksbenz
Im thinking of using a laquer thinner.

The glue wont be the only thing you'll remove! :D

Damp the area with goo off...then buff it maybe?

marksbenz
09-04-2003, 02:55 PM
been trying everything. I been using goo gone and lighter fluid with no succes. I try using a hair dryer still nothing. What else can i use. The glue stuff is really hard. Pls help. Thanks.

JRE320
09-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Use a hair dryer and heat it up then use goof off. Let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it off.