PDA

View Full Version : 5 Speed Automatic

BenzMeister
08-24-2003, 05:00 AM
Would driving my car in D4 instead of D5 around town cause any wear or harm to the transmission long term?:)

GuelphC230
08-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by BenzMeister
Would driving my car in D4 instead of D5 around town cause any wear or harm to the transmission long term?:)
I drive in 4 ..good question..all I know is I get better take off on the hondas and the rustangs..haha

but when you think about it..a dodge viper has 6 gears..how often do you see sixth in any 6 gear cars (in town anyways)

98_Benzo
08-25-2003, 12:34 PM
Would driving my car in D4 instead of D5 around town cause any wear or harm to the transmission long term?

No it will not, unless you start getting your RPM's up pretty high, then your going to have problems. But around town you shouldn't be going any faster then 40 -45 mph, which you can drive that in 3rd gear, but your RPM's will be at 3000 to 3500. So, to answer your question, around town 4th is all you need.

I drive in 4 ..good question..all I know is I get better take off on the hondas and the rustangs..haha

Being in 4th compared to being in 5th when taking off from the line is not going to matter. Your car is going to start in 1st gear no matter what gear you have selected on your transmission. The only thing that will make a difference is if you put your car down to 1st and shift through the gears when racing. You have more control of when your car shifts if you do that. But take off is not going to matter with 4th or 5th gear.

GuelphC230
08-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by 98_Benzo
No it will not, unless you start getting your RPM's up pretty high, then your going to have problems. But around town you shouldn't be going any faster then 40 -45 mph, which you can drive that in 3rd gear, but your RPM's will be at 3000 to 3500. So, to answer your question, around town 4th is all you need.

Being in 4th compared to being in 5th when taking off from the line is not going to matter. Your car is going to start in 1st gear no matter what gear you have selected on your transmission. The only thing that will make a difference is if you put your car down to 1st and shift through the gears when racing. You have more control of when your car shifts if you do that. But take off is not going to matter with 4th or 5th gear.

really? cuz I feel a difference in fourth..of course maybe the kik-down button works different in 4th than 5th...

jeremy

98_Benzo
08-25-2003, 02:10 PM
I don't what would make the difference though, it's not like they use different 1st gears or any thing. They both use the same first gear (there is only one first gear in a transmission), so I don't see how it would make a difference. Gear ratio's don't change either when you drive in 4th or 5th. Technically, if you leave it in 4th your car will not go past the 4th gear until you switch it to 5th gear, that is the only difference. So, if you notice a difference I can not explain how or why.

davis449
08-26-2003, 10:10 AM
So if I drive around in 3 (with the four speed auto) it won't do any damage either? I used to drive a stick so I know about the keeping the RPM's where they belong and stuff. It just seems like I don't have enough get-up-and-go around town when I drive in "D". I find my self using the kick down button at the bottom of the accelerator too much just to pass cars in town on roads where the speed limits are like 35 and 40. I find that when I drive in 3 the RPM's are up high enough to where I can just push a little on the gas and do what needs to get done. I guess the worry I have is the increased activity with the gear shift this will create.

GDawgC220
08-27-2003, 04:36 AM
i read in a c32 manual that if u leave it in 4th, it's considered "sport" mode. anyone hear of this?

davis449
08-27-2003, 02:26 PM
I've heard of that on BMW's. If you shift it below "D" it automatically puts it in Sport mode. Don't know about Mercedes, though.

98_Benzo
08-27-2003, 02:39 PM
Know it sounds like you guys are talking about down shifting as opposed to keeping it in one gear? Cause if you down shift from 5th to 4th at say 45 and over, Yes you will feel more power. But leaving a stop light in either 5th or 4th you will not get any more power. Down shifting will help you when moving, but starting in a lower gear, I don't see how it would make difference. Then again, I am no mercedes expert (far from it), hell this is my first mercedes, I didn't know to much about them before I bought my car.

davis449
08-29-2003, 10:26 PM
Just to clarify, my point. I am talking about how the car, mine has the vaccum controlled 4 speed auto, always goes to OD (4) real quick and when you want to pass someone on a regular street doing 35-40, you have to really push that pedal to get any response from the tranny and engine. Sometimes I have to go for the kickdown button just to get past someone. So by leaving in 3 instead of D, my RPM's are already up there, at around 35-40, and I can ease the gas pedal and zip right by 'em. I'm not talking about racing or take offs.

BenzMeister
09-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by GDawgC220
i read in a c32 manual that if u leave it in 4th, it's considered "sport" mode. anyone hear of this?

My 99C280 manual also states the D4 is sport mode.