PDA

View Full Version : BMW 5sp or 6sp tranny on 202?

Eurosport
08-24-2003, 10:32 AM
has anyone ever heard of putting a bmw manual tranny on mb?
how much modding would be needed?
just curious, even though it's bmw would be nice to have manual

MrSpace
08-24-2003, 10:37 AM
there are manual W202s in europe

that would be easier

MBenzNL has a manual W202

Etienne

98_Benzo
08-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Also, I believe if you want to do the work, the tranny from the 6 speed manual SLK should bolt up to your car. I was talking to a MB Tech yesterday when my car went out. I know the 6 speed manuals will fit the 230 engines, but I don't know if they will fit the C36. It's a good idea though!!!

FreeStyler
08-26-2003, 09:40 PM
Hmmmmmm, slk trans in my c230.............interesting.........

fastmayte
11-12-2003, 06:12 AM
hey, i'm guessing the 220 tranny would be the same as a 230 as fitment goes right?
i think the 99 slk came with a 5spd manual as said by carpoint. might be able to get a wrecked one from an auction later on.

J Irwan
11-12-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Eurosport
has anyone ever heard of putting a bmw manual tranny on mb?
how much modding would be needed?
just curious, even though it's bmw would be nice to have manual

There was a 94 C280 posted on ebay a long time ago.
The car has Renntech 3.6L conversion engine. and 5 spd getrag gearbox (if I remember correctly it came from BMW E36 M3)

Regardz,

2phast
11-20-2003, 08:35 AM
According to Renntech, that car was one of two that they converted to a manual trans. Had about 25k miles on it, never sold, owner still has it.

benzaddict
12-12-2004, 11:20 PM
I've worked on and driven the smoke silver '94 C280 with the Getrag 5-speed conversion. A few years ago the kid that owned it brought it into the dealership for a few problems. The trans was extremely tight in the tunnel, hung lower than the catalysts and had a custom rear crossmember with the BMW style double-round mounts. The shifter/pedals seemed pretty uncomplicated as they appeared to be MB euro-spec parts. I think the modern 5/6 speed transmissions from MB would be a much better fit, but they don't shift nearly as nice as a Getrag. Maybe the best choice would be a Getrag 5-speed from the old 190E 16v, but then you have no overdrive.

boesewicht
12-14-2004, 07:13 AM
Hey guys.

Was the W202 in the states only with automatic transmission available?

I have an original manual 5-gear-transmission in my C-Class. I'm lovin' it, but in the german Mercedes scene, most of the people hate the manual trans in the w202. I would say it takes time getting used to it, it's a little bit...(theres no translation for the german word) "notchy" I would say. But very short shiftways and very quick (if you know how to). I'm used to my transmission and I can shift faster than my brother with his short shift kit in his BMW E46 ever will.

I wouldn't swap to a BMW Transmission, if I were you I would get the original transmission from germany.

Alex.

12-17-2004, 01:55 AM
Hey boesewicht, as my experience I found manual gear box BMW better than manual MB.

I'm not so sactisfied of my MB manual gearbox (compared to my previous experience with a 318 E36 and M5 E34) because it is a bit slow during shifting, in particular if I want to fast change at high rpm.

As normal driving is OK but I find the level itself a bit noisy during shift movement.

This is my personal opinion.

As I know new C class manual gearbox has been a lot improved.

In any case I agree with you to avoid any kind of mixing job, installing a BMW gearbox into a Benz.

Hi

:) :) :) :)