PDA

View Full Version : silly question..

GuelphC230
08-24-2003, 01:13 PM
ok I have a 97 C230 and was wondering what the traction controll does exactly when it kicks in..like do the front wheels spin? I dunno lol
what the hell is this TC? I asume its not like AWD so how does it work and whats happening while the !!!!! is blinking...other than fukking up my donut :rolleyes:
oh yeah and this function works still when you lower the car right?

1SIKBNZ
08-25-2003, 12:35 AM
Hey Guelph. Man i feel ya on the jacked up doughnuts somtimes due to the TC. now from what ive come to understand and anyone please correct if wrong but when the TC engages it basically applies the brake to one or more tires that are slipping causing the car to slow down to regain control. Now even with it off though i still find that it still resides if the car is put into a very serious situation. i.e. doughnut. but with it off fishtails and other small things are possible. Anyone else that could shed some light on the TC/ASR? im kinda curious about the whole thing myself and i believe i only have a brief understanding of it. Thanks!

MBATF
08-25-2003, 01:31 AM
You are pretty much right on:)

GuelphC230
08-25-2003, 06:36 AM
thanx guys

jeremy

98_Benzo
08-25-2003, 03:16 PM
remember it only works for the rear two tires, not all four. It will only work on all four if you have 4matic, which if you have a 202 (like most of us do) you don't have 4matic. That is correct that it does apply braking to one side or the other. Turning off your traction control will let you slide and do donuts (I found out from experience).
Oh yah, lowering your car does not have anything to do with Traction control. So, don't worry about the TC and lowering your car.

GuelphC230
08-25-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 98_Benzo
remember it only works for the rear two tires, not all four. It will only work on all four if you have 4matic, which if you have a 202 (like most of us do) you don't have 4matic. That is correct that it does apply braking to one side or the other. Turning off your traction control will let you slide and do donuts (I found out from experience).
Oh yah, lowering your car does not have anything to do with Traction control. So, don't worry about the TC and lowering your car.

so you can turn off traction controll on a 97 C230?

98_Benzo
08-25-2003, 10:36 PM
You should be able to. There should be a button above your stereo that says "ASR", that is the traction control button. When it is off a bright yellow "caution" light will stay on, on your instrument cluster.