PDA

View Full Version : kompressor wanted..

GuelphC230
08-24-2003, 01:21 PM
I know I know ..you guys are gonna say "why don't yo just buy a 230k?"
well fact is I aint rich but I love my cars and like to play around..as I did with my 190e
now that I have this C230 non k (couldnt afford turbo version)
how am I gonna turbo it? where am I gonna get the turbo? can i just buy a factory compressor that bolts on?
or do I visit old Kleeman?hehe $$$

any help would be graet..(preferrably in english and would be better if I could get one in canada...

jeremy

Renn 208
08-24-2003, 03:56 PM
build a tubo setup for it!

GuelphC230
08-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Renn 208
build a tubo setup for it!

easier said than done for me..lol
I am from canada so all costs are doubled when I leave canada..looks like this will be a costly project car but errr..here goes..
hello Kleeman..goodbye money:(

MrSpace
08-24-2003, 04:14 PM
go with mosselman

www.mosselmanturbo.com

I think it would be the cheapest to go from a regular 230 to the about same power as a c230k (check the websites for numbers)

Etienne

JRE320
08-24-2003, 10:03 PM
U serious with Mosselman? Let me know.... ;) :)

CKlasse
08-25-2003, 04:55 AM
First, know the budget that you are dealing with first..then decide whether this is something you wanna do.

In any case, I have a rebuilt GARRETT T3/4 turbo ready to go for sale! I decided to use a brand spanking new GARRETT T25 for better lower end torque and horsy on my 95 C220.

With the right amount of money, you can do anything to your C230. The best BOLT ON option however... MOSSELMAN TURBO KIT, and JRE would be your hook up in here!

GuelphC230
08-25-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by CKlasse
First, know the budget that you are dealing with first..then decide whether this is something you wanna do.

In any case, I have a rebuilt GARRETT T3/4 turbo ready to go for sale! I decided to use a brand spanking new GARRETT T25 for better lower end torque and horsy on my 95 C220.

With the right amount of money, you can do anything to your C230. The best BOLT ON option however... MOSSELMAN TURBO KIT, and JRE would be your hook up in here!

again ..thanx
dow do I know whick turbo fits the 97 230? cuz I don't see it listed for mosselman..I guess I could call...

MrSpace
08-25-2003, 06:57 AM
email JRE he will help you out!

Etienne

98_Benzo
08-25-2003, 12:44 PM
Another great source to talk to would be JasonH, he built a C220 turbocharged car and it worked out pretty good. Also, the C230K kompressor will bolt on to your car, but it's not worth it.

GuelphC230
08-25-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 98_Benzo
Another great source to talk to would be JasonH, he built a C220 turbocharged car and it worked out pretty good. Also, the C230K kompressor will bolt on to your car, but it's not worth it.

not worth it? hmm as in OEM sucks? or what?cuz I could use those 40-50 extra ponies.....

JasonH
08-25-2003, 01:45 PM
The Mosselman kit will likely give you that type of power gain if you tick up the boost a notch from the recommended setting. However, if you want to do that, then you will need to deal with the fueling to make sure the A/F ratio stays at safe levels throughout the power curve. Therefore, you’ll have to invest in a fueling system of some type.

This leads into the perpetual problem… once you have a taste of power, you are going to want even more! Be very aware of this fact, because as a few people have already pointed out, modding a Benz is not cheap!

I have yet to get my new engine up and running (although it’s only days away now). I won’t even tell you how much I have put into modding my car over the last year and a half, but let’s just say it’s likely more than your car cost. Will it be worth it… it remains to be seen. However, if it all works as planned I'll be pushing more than double the stock HP @ the rear wheels, with 1/4 mile times in the low 13's. That will make it all worth it! :D

Jason

98_Benzo
08-25-2003, 02:04 PM
not worth it? hmm as in OEM sucks? or what?cuz I could use those 40-50 extra ponies.....

Right, the OEM will not produce that much to your engine to make a difference. I believe someone did it and it only gained about a 10 -15 hp difference. The reason for that is, the C230K engines are balanced a little different then yours and mine (I have a 98 C230). I also looked into this idea also, but was discouraged by it when I saw the results. Putting a chip in your car would do the same as an OEM blower will.

GuelphC230
08-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Right, the OEM will not produce that much to your engine to make a difference. I believe someone did it and it only gained about a 10 -15 hp difference. The reason for that is, the C230K engines are balanced a little different then yours and mine (I have a 98 C230). I also looked into this idea also, but was discouraged by it when I saw the results. Putting a chip in your car would do the same as an OEM blower will.

chips? you have one?

98_Benzo
08-25-2003, 02:21 PM
I might have a chip......:) The only problem is, I bought my car from a dealership that bought it at auction, so we have no recourse on the chip (as to where it was bought or who installed or anything).

merc_lover
08-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Another great source to talk to would be JasonH, he built a C220 turbocharged car and it worked out pretty good.
hey tell me.. what do i have to do to turbocharge my 220?? does a GARRETT turbo fit?? do i need to reinforce my engine (pistons, etc) or can it stay stock? i need an intercooler too right? and new ignition so it doesnt detonate?..... feed me with info please :D

CKlasse
08-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Here is how I am doing mine. This is prolly a stage below Jason's 13sec C220. :)

I got a custom thicker gasket to lower the compression. I had a local hot-rodder to port and polish my head for $120. Then RC engineering supplied me larger injectors. OEM fuel pump & fuel regulator is sufficient for now.

My shop fabricated the exhaust manifold and piping. I bought an OEM intercooler for a C230K and it mounts real good. As far as oil feed, Koolvin with his Mosselman Turbo'd C180 showed me that the rightest bolt underneath the exhaust manifold is actually OIL FEED LINE. The only you need to drill is the return line to the oil pan.

Perhaps next year, I ll have the budget to rebuild the whole engine. Whatever you decide to do, just remember, with unlimited amount of money anything is possible. With limited amount of money, knowledge and experience will really help!

Good luck!

CKlasse
08-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by merc_lover
hey tell me.. what do i have to do to turbocharge my 220?? does a GARRETT turbo fit?? do i need to reinforce my engine (pistons, etc) or can it stay stock? i need an intercooler too right? and new ignition so it doesnt detonate?..... feed me with info please :D

I thought Spain has a very strict rule on modded cars :rolleyes:

JasonH
08-25-2003, 09:31 PM
>>hey tell me.. what do i have to do to turbocharge my 220?? does a GARRETT turbo fit??

Yep, the easiest way is to buy the bolt on kit from Mosselman. I think it uses a Garret (not sure of the size though check the website).

>>do i need to reinforce my engine (pistons, etc) or can it stay stock?

If you keep the boost near the recommended levels (certainly not over 9psi) you should be okay with proper fueling.

>>i need an intercooler too right?

Yep, and one comes with the kit.

>>and new ignition so it doesnt detonate?

You shouldn’t, unless you want to exceed the top recommended boost levels. But that’s the problem with the kit. It’s developed for low boost. If you want to get into higher power levels, well… open you pocketbook, because you will have to spend some dough. :p I learned the hard way!

Jason

merc_lover
08-26-2003, 06:04 AM
:) thanks jason. didnt know mosselmann made a kit.

I thought Spain has a very strict rule on modded cars
it does for NOS and exterior body changes which increase the car's overall size.
you can get as ricey as u want with the car, but you have to go to a certified engineer and whatnot so he can certify its secure use on public roads... its a hassle.
but changing engine parts, wheels, fitting a spoiler, doesnt imply any necessary major "reform on the car" (as so they call it) so one can fit anything without having to certify the car, if it theorically doesnt make the car more than 25% more powerful (or somethin like that).
weird.