PDA

View Full Version : ATT:All with Koni sport shocks

C280/////AMG
03-18-2007, 02:20 AM
Hey, i'm considering fitting Koni adjustable sport shocks. The tuning shop says that they'll be fine, but a couple of people that i've spoken to have fitted them to their cars, amd they say that even on their softest setting, they're still to hard (and i use my car everyday, don't want a broken back!). But then again, none of them have a 202. If you know anything about these shocks, all knowledge is welcome!!!

NEA-4311
03-18-2007, 04:00 AM
Ok let me tell you that the suspension setup is a vvvery personal issue to each driver... What you might consider stiff, another guy might consider it just a bit sporty. What you might consider wobbly or soft others might consider it to be OK and so forth.

KONI yellows are in fact stiff shocks, now Ive never tried them on a 202 but ive tried them on other cars and they have rather racing characteristics. Whether you like that or not its up to you. Weight plays little part to a shocks behaviour if you set it properly so try them on other cars. Also If you set KONI yellows in their softest mode you will get a soft setup, thats for sure. IMO its one of the best shock in the world and its also indestuctable and repairable. :p Or you can go to Bilstein HD series and find the part number similar to those C36 and C43 come with. Then you will have the suspension closest to what AMG chose for the 202 without having to pay loads of money for the AMG brand.

And empty your mailbox.:bunny:

Pagz
03-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Its a tricky one...i find my konis pretty hard even on soft....but,i run 19's,eibachs on #1'a with eibach sways.

If i swap out the 19's for the OE 16's is much more comfortable..

So i guess alot depends on your wheels and ride hieght?!?

NEA-4311
03-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Well yes, wheels and ride height (springs) also play a significant part of the final result because larger profile tyres better absorb the road bumps and aftermarket springs are stiffer or softer than OEM so they change the ride comfort respectively.

When you are looking for which setup might work best for you its wiser to read as many discussions and comments as you can find because it will help you make your final decision.

C280/////AMG
03-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys! sounds promising, however with the tyres, i found hardly no difference with ride harshness when i used my 15'' compared to my 17'', but then again i ran quite a high air pressure on my 15''.

another thing i found is that when the car rolls on 15''s, it seems to take little bumps in the road better. I'm quite sure this is because each 17'' rim+tyre weighs 5kg more than the 15'' rim+tyre, and as a result of this, the unsprung weight is considerably lighter on 15'' wheels, making the suspension more agile (if u know what i mean)

Keep the comments flowing!!!

NEA-4311
03-18-2007, 03:53 PM
If you re already on KONI springs try to see what shocks usually respond well to them... Thats also a nice start.