PDA

View Full Version : dropped car off at dealership for bas/esp light AND fuel malfunction...

sirwhite4
03-19-2007, 05:44 PM
diagnosis tomorrow, ill let everyone know in case they suffer similiar problems!

xvvvz
03-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Dropped it off at the dealer... yikes, I hope you are still under extended warranty! Maybe it will be something simple when the battery gets too low and thus the car shuts down the BAS/ABS due to possible lack of adequate juice in an emergency.

>>02/2000 C230 Kompressor<<

Just curious, what does the 02 part of your sig denote?

I hope you get get news from the dealer!

stox
03-19-2007, 07:07 PM
I had a similar problem with my '96 C36. It turned out to be the OVP relay. Replaced it, and all was well.

sirwhite4
03-20-2007, 01:31 PM
xvvvz-no, its not under warranty, i hope they are merciful! im paranoid about being ripped off so im keeping in close touch with them to monitor whats going on. so far he said they are getting a lot of codes and are trying to narrow it down.
the "02/2000" means manufactured in february of 2000, since they apparently made two different cars of this model in 2000.

stox-sounds like you were lucky! i hope for a cheap fix too!

First Benz
03-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm gonna bet the BAS light is on for a faulty stop lamp switch, [cheap] and you say a fuel malfunction? You mean a check engine light? If there is, I'm guessing either a MAF, or a leaky charcoal canister [both not cheap]

Unless of course you left your gas cap loose. Then it is cheap, just mildly embarassing. ;)

sirwhite4
03-21-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm gonna bet the BAS light is on for a faulty stop lamp switch, [cheap] and you say a fuel malfunction? You mean a check engine light? If there is, I'm guessing either a MAF, or a leaky charcoal canister [both not cheap]

Unless of course you left your gas cap loose. Then it is cheap, just mildly embarassing.

i replaced the stop lamp switch, if thats the switch down by the brake pedal lever.

the fuel malfunction (i made a thread about it) is that at about half a tank my car "runs out" which seems to be because one of the tanks is not delivering. the gas cap is good :)

thanks for your suggestions!

First Benz
03-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Ahhhh, IC. That truly is a fuel malfunction. :)

Which in that case, it's probably the sending units. They go bad allllll the time in these cars, and unless they've been replaced with the updated parts, probably on their way out

Well, if you've already repalced the stop lamp switch, that eliminates the most common problem. Always possible for a faulty wheel speed sensor, although not that common, it's more common than other parts failing on this car.

Let us know what you find, I wanna know if I'm right. ;)

sirwhite4
03-22-2007, 01:22 PM
dealership says fuel problem is from faulty fuel sending units, of which there are two. he quoted me $685 to replace both.

the bas/esp error he said was a steering angle sensor (which i know nothing about). he quoted me $292 installed for that part.

any help? im going to search the forum for repairs on both of these and try to do it myself!

xvvvz
03-22-2007, 02:16 PM
For the fuel sending units, you should get the Haynes manual. They have a decent procedure in there. It will take a bit of time and work but save you a lot of money. The only tricky thing they mention is a tool you need to get from Mercedes or make yourself (but they only give minimal instruction on this). The Haynes manual will pay for itself very quickly and is a "must have" for your car.

Have you tried resetting your steering angle sensor (turning from full lock to lock a few times) to see how long it takes for the error to come back? I don't know that the Haynes manual covers the replacement procedure but if you search on the net it seems to involve taking the airbag and steering wheel off to access the sensor.

sirwhite4
03-22-2007, 06:10 PM
i would love a haynes manual for my car, but have been unable to find one! i found one for the c230 but not the k. do you know where i can find one???

also, i tried the lock-to-lock/restart, but it had no effect. my mb star cd rom manual said this will reactivate the steering sensor. the mechanic said that the unit is actually faulty and thats why reactivating it doesnt solve the prob.

this car is sooooo complex!! i wish it didnt have esp or bas!

xvvvz
03-22-2007, 06:58 PM
>>i would love a haynes manual for my car, but have been unable to find one! i found one for the c230 but not the k. do you know where i can find one??? <<

That is the one (and only printed one). It doesn't cover the kompressor but it covers just about everything else on a C230K. The kompressor is a relatively small point on these cars so the fact the Haynes manual doesn't address it is a pretty minor issue in the grand scheme of things. Even C280 owners should own it if they are DIYers.

sirwhite4
03-24-2007, 05:42 AM
hey, thats good to know! ill have to pick one up. do you know if the c230na and the c230k transmissions are the same?

also, new development-i second-guessed the mechanic on the steering angle sensor diagnosis, so they ran more checks, and discovered it was actually the later angle sensor. they replaced that at a total of $292. i shouldve done it myself and just paid for the part/diagnosis b/c im pretty sure its right by the battery, i.e. super easy to get to!

the fuel sensor will unfortunately have to wait. that shits expensive!

xvvvz
03-24-2007, 07:16 AM
>>the later angle sensor. they replaced that at a total of $292. i shouldve done it myself and just paid for the part/diagnosis b/c im pretty sure its right by the battery, i.e. super easy to get to! <<

Do you maybe mean the yaw angle sensor or whatever it is called for the ESP?

>> do you know if the c230na and the c230k transmissions are the same?<<

From what I have read, the C Class had various evolutions of the transmission through the years. There were some pretty siginficant changes over time (number of speeds, electronic controls, etc.). I believe one of the major transitions happened around 97-98 and a lot of those trannys had issues. I think a late 98NA tranny is pretty simialr to a 99K though. The 00 tranny is a bit more of an evolution with things like the added the touch shift and I have read they changed one of the major bearings sometime during 2000 which made it more durable over the long term. No doubt somebody will jump in and correct me if I am getting my chronology mixed up.

sirwhite4
03-24-2007, 07:53 AM
my mb star cd-rom manual refers to it as the lateral angle sensor. it is for the esp.

lateral and yaw mean about the same thing though, dont they? as in, side-to-side motion?

hmmm....my 00 trans is a 5 speed with the touch shift (for manumatic function). the manumatic shifting is slow however, so i rarely use it. ill click it to shift, and takes like a second for the shift to occur! suuuuper irritating.